Register Login
FIAT Auto Specialist Team
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2008   #1
GPS Multijet 1.9 Orange
 
mehstg's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: North London
Posts: 1,516
Thanks: 66
Trader Rating: 0
mehstg has donated!
United Kingdom 
GPS 1.9 Multijet top speed

Another question for the more technical peeps, as I am feeling in an inquisitive mood today.

I was over at North Weald Airfield the other day as one of my friends works there and had the chance to take my Grande along one of the runways.

Took it up to about 115, but as the book top speed is 124, didn't want to take it any higher. The thing is, it got to 115 easily, and was still pulling hard....

I take it the fact it still pulls hard at 115 is due to the fact I have had it remapped. But obviously, other components have not been upgraded like the oil pump and i'd be worried about oil circulation at any speed higher than the quoted.

My question is, what really is a safe top speed for the car, and what damage happens if you go over this.

P
__________________

Do Not Click Here
Quote Originally Posted by Vimto Rolf View Post
i play 12 string ass mostly anyhow.
Quote Originally Posted by punto_matt View Post
It was always obvious you swung that way but kudos for finally admitting it
mehstg is offline
Old 09-11-2008   #2
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: west yorkshire
Posts: 451
Thanks: 3
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: GPS 1.9 Multijet top speed

iv had 120 out of mine and mines still standard. still have a fair amount of rev's left too... again didnt want to take it over that tho... however the question you have raised is a good one...
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Im-Mia is offline
Old 09-11-2008   #3
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 559
Thanks: 21
Trader Rating: 0
Pomp has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: GPS 1.9 Multijet top speed

Dont forget the speedo over-reads by 10% to protect the company against speeding pursuits

So when you say you got 120 out of it, it was in all likelihood 108.

Unless of course you used an accurate GPS system.

Also dont forget the T-Jet engines are over-powered compared to what it says in the book. 120 T-Jet is actually about 130BHP so the top speed will be a little higher.
__________________
PROUD 2007 Bravo 150 Dynamic owner



The Thanks button is there for a reason, use it and use it properly!
Pomp is offline
Old 09-11-2008   #4
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Telford, West Midlands
Posts: 875
Thanks: 21
Trader Rating: 0
Thomas_Si has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: GPS 1.9 Multijet top speed

Quote Originally Posted by Pomp View Post
Dont forget the speedo over-reads by 10% to protect the company against speeding pursuits

So when you say you got 120 out of it, it was in all likelihood 108.

Unless of course you used an accurate GPS system.

Also dont forget the T-Jet engines are over-powered compared to what it says in the book. 120 T-Jet is actually about 130BHP so the top speed will be a little higher.
I've heard this about speedos before. I thought they had to be accurate from a legal standpoint surely under-reading by 10% wouldn't be accurate.
__________________
Fix It Again Thomas!!

1998 Fiat Punto 60 S 1.2L SPi
Now Driving
2006 Grande Punto Dynamic 1.2L 8V
Thomas_Si is offline
Old 09-11-2008   #5
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 559
Thanks: 21
Trader Rating: 0
Pomp has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: GPS 1.9 Multijet top speed

They dont under-read, they over-read. And it is legal they are keeping you in the speed limit, and protecting themselves!
__________________
PROUD 2007 Bravo 150 Dynamic owner



The Thanks button is there for a reason, use it and use it properly!
Pomp is offline
Old 09-11-2008   #6
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Harlow, Essex
Posts: 1,049
Thanks: 30
Trader Rating: 0
James1989 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: GPS 1.9 Multijet top speed

good for those average speed cameras though

the top speed before damaging is a good one i heard like with the buggatti veyron its engine could go faster but they wouldnt allow it because of the fact every other componant would need to be built to go faster such as the tyres etc.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

James1989 is offline
Old 09-11-2008   #7
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 559
Thanks: 21
Trader Rating: 0
Pomp has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: GPS 1.9 Multijet top speed

There is a severe lack of knowledge about Speedo's over-reading it seems. Take these average cameras on the M1 north of leeds, 50MPH for about 5 miles.... I stick cruise control on at 54MPH on the Speedo, and am usually the only person that does it (by that i mean i dont see anyone doing the same speed). Therefore i get through legally, faster, and with no chance of a ticket!
__________________
PROUD 2007 Bravo 150 Dynamic owner



The Thanks button is there for a reason, use it and use it properly!
Pomp is offline
Old 09-11-2008   #8
***** Whore
 
StevenRB45's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 5,873
Thanks: 79
Trader Rating: 0
StevenRB45 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: GPS 1.9 Multijet top speed

Well ACPO guidelines are speedlimit + 10% plus 2 so an actual 57 mph gets you a ticket. So you could theoretically set your cruise to 60mph on the speedo and not get done...not something I'd like to try tho!
__________________
StevenRB45 is offline
Old 09-11-2008   #9
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 559
Thanks: 21
Trader Rating: 0
Pomp has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: GPS 1.9 Multijet top speed

Quote Originally Posted by StevenRB45 View Post
Well ACPO guidelines are speedlimit + 10% plus 2 so an actual 57 mph gets you a ticket. So you could theoretically set your cruise to 60mph on the speedo and not get done...not something I'd like to try tho!
Haha same with me, wouldnt try it. Dont trust average cameras

I thought those guidelines were only for the yellow boxes, not ASC
__________________
PROUD 2007 Bravo 150 Dynamic owner



The Thanks button is there for a reason, use it and use it properly!
Pomp is offline
Old 09-11-2008   #10
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: west yorkshire
Posts: 451
Thanks: 3
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: GPS 1.9 Multijet top speed

Quote Originally Posted by Pomp View Post
There is a severe lack of knowledge about Speedo's over-reading it seems. Take these average cameras on the M1 north of leeds, 50MPH for about 5 miles.... I stick cruise control on at 54MPH on the Speedo, and am usually the only person that does it (by that i mean i dont see anyone doing the same speed). Therefore i get through legally, faster, and with no chance of a ticket!
hang on a minute - i thought it was the speed camara that have a 10%....

n e ways i have never heard of the speedo under reading... that seems a little crazy... anyone one else heard of this?
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Im-Mia is offline
Old 09-11-2008   #11
***** Whore
 
StevenRB45's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 5,873
Thanks: 79
Trader Rating: 0
StevenRB45 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: GPS 1.9 Multijet top speed

Thought they applied to all speeding offences. But they are GUIDELINES theoretically they can set the trigger points lower.
__________________
StevenRB45 is offline
Old 09-11-2008   #12
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 559
Thanks: 21
Trader Rating: 0
Pomp has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: GPS 1.9 Multijet top speed

Its true trust me, i imagine about 30% of people will know on this forum...
The Cameras over-read for the guide-lines mentioned above by StevenRB45
__________________
PROUD 2007 Bravo 150 Dynamic owner



The Thanks button is there for a reason, use it and use it properly!
Pomp is offline
Old 09-11-2008   #13
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: west yorkshire
Posts: 451
Thanks: 3
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: GPS 1.9 Multijet top speed

ok sooooo .... (sorry for using this example i know ppl quote top gear loads but its a valid point)...

tonight on top gear they where trying t get that corvert to hit 170 right.? he was reading up the speedo at some points and i think he managed t get 173... they where clocking this speed with a gun.... so ur telling me for him to hit 170 mph his speedo has to b reading 187mph.........

this is why i kinda dont beleive what ur saying... you could b right. thats why am asking if n e one else has heard this b 4
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Im-Mia is offline
Old 09-11-2008   #14
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 559
Thanks: 21
Trader Rating: 0
Pomp has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: GPS 1.9 Multijet top speed

Quote Originally Posted by Im-Mia View Post
ok sooooo .... (sorry for using this example i know ppl quote top gear loads but its a valid point)...

tonight on top gear they where trying t get that corvert to hit 170 right.? he was reading up the speedo at some points and i think he managed t get 173... they where clocking this speed with a gun.... so ur telling me for him to hit 170 mph his speedo has to b reading 187mph.........

this is why i kinda dont beleive what ur saying... you could b right. thats why am asking if n e one else has heard this b 4
May be different on american cars, i cant remember him saying 172...173 etc i thought he was doing it in the 140's

Also it is a car born to race, the manufacturers will probably want accurate speedos on that kind of car... They have the money for lawsuits etc.

People but them cars to race...... The buyers wouldnt be happy with inaccurate speedo's i imagine.
__________________
PROUD 2007 Bravo 150 Dynamic owner



The Thanks button is there for a reason, use it and use it properly!
Pomp is offline
Old 09-11-2008   #15
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: west yorkshire
Posts: 451
Thanks: 3
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: GPS 1.9 Multijet top speed

Quote Originally Posted by Pomp View Post
May be different on american cars, i cant remember him saying 172...173 etc i thought he was doing it in the 140's

Also it is a car born to race, the manufacturers will probably want accurate speedos on that kind of car... They have the money for lawsuits etc.

People but them cars to race...... The buyers wouldnt be happy with inaccurate speedo's i imagine.
hmmm ok fare enough - well if its true - you learn something new every day

n e ways back to the point of safe top speeds for the engine???
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Im-Mia is offline
Closed Thread
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(G) GPS Multijet Wheels wellfan Grande Punto 16 10-04-2008 17:22
(G) Where has the Multijet 90 6 speed gone? allanhelen Grande Punto 3 20-11-2006 20:19
(G) GPS Speed detector thing TrackyG3000 Stilo 16 17-11-2006 18:11
For all your GPS and Speed Camera Needs activematt Leisure Lounge 0 09-09-2005 09:52
(G) Multijet 5dr top speed PureTNT Stilo 6 23-05-2005 22:15