Register Login
im Axle Specialists
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2009   #1
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
Error Codes: P0201/202/203/204/0351/0352

Hi guys,
ive read the above codes and need some help, the car starts for about 10 minutes ten it cuts off and will not start again till it cools down.
The codes refer to the injectors (1,2,3,4) and the ignition coils A&B, however the cause symptoms are shown as Wiring, coils, and ECM on all codes.
I have been told that i will have to replace the ECU, please advise, i would be very grateful.
I have managed to clear all the codes but the car still has the same problem mentioned above and management light keeps flashing, however the codes have not re-appered since i got rid of them even while driving the car.

The ECU Serial is: IAW4AF.M91
Its a 2003 seicento and has only done 13,000 miles.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

don007 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 06-09-2009   #2
Moderator
 
Davren's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: London, UK.
Posts: 13,730
Thanks: 1465
Trader Rating: 5
Davren has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Error Codes: P0201/202/203/204/0351/0352

Before condemning the ECU, check that you have a permanent 12v supply to the coils and injectors with ignition on.

Coils and injectors are negative switched by the ECU so a 12v +ve supply is common to all of them.

ECUs very seldom fail, often unpluging and reconnecting it (with ignition off) will cure a problem.

Dave.
__________________
Stilo Parts For Sale: Connect Nav+ Map Discs - Wiper Motor (NEW) - JTD/JTDM Front Brake Discs (NEW)

For details, click here: http://www.fiatforum.com/classifieds...0&ppuser=48514
Davren is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 06-09-2009   #3
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
Question Re: Error Codes: P0201/202/203/204/0351/0352

Quote Originally Posted by Davren View Post
Before condemning the ECU, check that you have a permanent 12v supply to the coils and injectors with ignition on.

Coils and injectors are negative switched by the ECU so a 12v +ve supply is common to all of them.

ECUs very seldom fail, often unpluging and reconnecting it (with ignition off) will cure a problem.

Dave.
my mechanic tried unplugging as you say but it didnt work, he thinks it requires an ECU as its getting warm. thanks i will try the voltage supply.
any other ideas you may have will be appreciated.thx
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

don007 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 06-09-2009   #4
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 3,254
Thanks: 120
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Error Codes: P0201/202/203/204/0351/0352

Hi

I'd also try the bonding (earthing) straps.

Check for physical damage of wiring or corrosion.

I.e. remove the fastner that holds down the lug and clean all surfaces to silver then coat with copperslip grease and remake.

If it is still doing ten minutes the ECU is hanging on..., some thing else wrong...

Noel
Think there are three bonding straps do all three...
__________________
standard Sei Sporting except for
colour matched ice scraper, screw driver,
& steering wheel lock i.e yellow car
spare alternator belt, clutch cable & bulb set, 2x overalls
Pep0 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 06-09-2009   #5
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 27,676
Thanks: 1227
Blog Entries: 3
Trader Rating: 5
fingers99 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Error Codes: P0201/202/203/204/0351/0352

The late type ECU (as you have) is very reliable. I'd be inclined to visually inspect the wiring, do the old start it up at night, bonnet open, and check for flashes routine (blue flashes indicate a HT leak, orange flashes a LT leak), use a single jump lead from battery -ive to somewhere near the coilpack to eliminate earth faults (very common on the Cento).

Getting the codes is one thing -- interpreting them and fixing the fault is quite another. Many garages, even FIAT ones, have the first skill but not the second. IIRC, there's yet another code for an ECU fault.
__________________
M12 fund 20
fingers99 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 07-09-2009   #6
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
Re: Error Codes: P0201/202/203/204/0351/0352

Quote Originally Posted by Pep0 View Post
Hi

I'd also try the bonding (earthing) straps.

Check for physical damage of wiring or corrosion.

I.e. remove the fastner that holds down the lug and clean all surfaces to silver then coat with copperslip grease and remake.

If it is still doing ten minutes the ECU is hanging on..., some thing else wrong...

Noel
Think there are three bonding straps do all three...



I have checked all the wiring, cleaned all the earthing wires and still no luck. still cutting. plugged in code reader and no codes. any suggestions
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

don007 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 07-09-2009   #7
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
Re: Error Codes: P0201/202/203/204/0351/0352

Quote Originally Posted by fingers99 View Post
The late type ECU (as you have) is very reliable. I'd be inclined to visually inspect the wiring, do the old start it up at night, bonnet open, and check for flashes routine (blue flashes indicate a HT leak, orange flashes a LT leak), use a single jump lead from battery -ive to somewhere near the coilpack to eliminate earth faults (very common on the Cento).

Getting the codes is one thing -- interpreting them and fixing the fault is quite another. Many garages, even FIAT ones, have the first skill but not the second. IIRC, there's yet another code for an ECU fault.


i have checked all the above, cleaned all the earth and tried with the jump lead as you suggested, still cutting off.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

don007 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 07-09-2009   #8
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 27,676
Thanks: 1227
Blog Entries: 3
Trader Rating: 5
fingers99 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Error Codes: P0201/202/203/204/0351/0352

If it's shoing no codes, there's either an issue with the code reader or...........?

My on experience goes something like this: my Sei decided to develop a fault in the middle of Southport -- a horrible misfire with the code light on. I popped it into the local FIAT who found no less than 8 stored codes, but wanted a couple of hundred quid for "further examination".

I replaced the leads and coil packs, discovered that the aftermarket induction system was effectively grounding out the HT leads, made sure that stood off and it has been fine ever since (touch wood). Diagnostic systems 0, start it up at night with the bonnet up 1.

That it's cutting out without a fault code suggests, to me, TDC sensor. Check -- when it cuts -- for spark and fuel past the injector (pull one injector, if need be).
__________________
M12 fund 20
fingers99 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 07-09-2009   #9
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 3,254
Thanks: 120
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Error Codes: P0201/202/203/204/0351/0352

Simpler to order a TDC sensor and change it for caution. Saves stopping in middle of round about...

Noel
__________________
standard Sei Sporting except for
colour matched ice scraper, screw driver,
& steering wheel lock i.e yellow car
spare alternator belt, clutch cable & bulb set, 2x overalls
Pep0 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 10-09-2009   #10
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
Re: Error Codes: P0201/202/203/204/0351/0352

Quote Originally Posted by Pep0 View Post
Simpler to order a TDC sensor and change it for caution. Saves stopping in middle of round about...

Noel
i think we found the problem the water temp sensor can someone tel how to remove it, does it need a special tool. when unplugged the car idles fine, it stays for longer. iv just got the new switch
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

don007 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 10-09-2009   #11
Autotest Special
 
rallycinq's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 23,469
Thanks: 1149
Blog Entries: 3
Trader Rating: 1
rallycinq has donated!
British Indian Ocean Territories 
Re: Error Codes: P0201/202/203/204/0351/0352

This is MPi so a bit of a mystery to me, but I would have though it simple unscrews once the cable plug is unclipped.

Cheers

SPD
__________________
rallycinq is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 10-09-2009   #12
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
Re: Error Codes: P0201/202/203/204/0351/0352

Quote Originally Posted by rallycinq View Post
This is MPi so a bit of a mystery to me, but I would have though it simple unscrews once the cable plug is unclipped.

Cheers

SPD

its not that simple its moulded to the plastic housing. theres hardly any room to put a spanner in
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

don007 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 10-09-2009   #13
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 27,676
Thanks: 1227
Blog Entries: 3
Trader Rating: 5
fingers99 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Error Codes: P0201/202/203/204/0351/0352

The sensor (the green one) itself will unscrew, but is sold complete with the plastic bit it screws into, which -- IIRC -- clips/bolts to the inlet manifold itself. Remove the inlet mani and all will become clear.
__________________
M12 fund 20
fingers99 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 10-09-2009   #14
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
Re: Error Codes: P0201/202/203/204/0351/0352

Quote Originally Posted by fingers99 View Post
The sensor (the green one) itself will unscrew, but is sold complete with the plastic bit it screws into, which -- IIRC -- clips/bolts to the inlet manifold itself. Remove the inlet mani and all will become clear.
ok thx give a try
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

don007 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(T) Seicento p0201 p0203 p0300 codes skydome Cinquecento / Seicento 1 31-05-2009 22:32
(G) error codes m_aver_ick Punto (Mk2/2b) 16 09-04-2008 17:51
(T) Error codes alaska Multipla 1 15-12-2007 14:50
(G) error codes m_aver_ick Punto (Mk2/2b) 3 30-10-2006 18:58
(T) error codes stuuyh Punto (Mk2/2b) 0 16-07-2004 02:30