Register Login
Shop4Parts - UK's largest online superstore for FIAT and Alfa Romeo parts
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2009   #1
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: kent Riviera
Posts: 193
Thanks: 4
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Cold starting issue!!!!!

I was unable to start my car from cold today, it turned over but would not start so i called out the recovery, the mechanic sprayed some easy start in the airbox and it started and run as normal, he said this is common with punto's and a sprayof easy start has got them started, he said it may be to do with the cold start sensor or something in this area, what could be causing it not to start when cold but starts every time when it is hot ,everything must be working ok as it runs as normal once it starts, my car is a seicento shuie also i had the diognostics check a while ago and no faults came up, should i buy some easy start ready for when it happens again or is there something that is at fault many thanks.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

marino is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 04-08-2009   #2
Autotest Special
 
rallycinq's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 23,441
Thanks: 1146
Blog Entries: 3
Trader Rating: 1
rallycinq has donated!
British Indian Ocean Territories 
Re: Cold starting issue!!!!!

Easy start will knacker your engine if used too often. It washes the oil off the bores.

Have a proper diagnostic done on the car. The operator will be able to check all the temp sensors to find the one thats playing up.

Cheers

SPD
Thanks marino thanked for this post
__________________
rallycinq is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 05-08-2009   #3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: kent Riviera
Posts: 193
Thanks: 4
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Cold starting issue!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rallycinq View Post
Easy start will knacker your engine if used too often. It washes the oil off the bores.

Have a proper diagnostic done on the car. The operator will be able to check all the temp sensors to find the one thats playing up.

Cheers

SPD
Thanks for the info so far , had diogs check done at my local garage, no faults or problems found ,so they could not help me any further and suggested taking it to fiat's so i have arranged for fiat's to do there diogs check etc for next wednesday, mind u they will charge 42.00+ vat, thats before they do any other work, thats if they find anything wrong of course, whereas my local garage charged me zero to do the diogs check, so i am expecting a big bill from fiat's, thanks again...
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

marino is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 05-08-2009   #4
Autotest Special
 
rallycinq's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 23,441
Thanks: 1146
Blog Entries: 3
Trader Rating: 1
rallycinq has donated!
British Indian Ocean Territories 
Re: Cold starting issue!!!!!

You'd do better to contact a local autospark with an examiner clone.

Cheers

SPD
__________________
rallycinq is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 12-08-2009   #5
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: kent Riviera
Posts: 193
Thanks: 4
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Cold starting issue!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rallycinq View Post
You'd do better to contact a local autospark with an examiner clone.

Cheers

SPD
COLDSTART UPDATE. Have now had complete system test at my local fiat garage and was told it was 1 of 2 things, RPM sensor or ECU, but he said to replace the RPM sensor as a new ECU is around 200 pounds which i agreed, do u know if u can test if an ECU is faulty, although all the tests that were done today did not show any faults at all so he said 1 of these are the likely cause, so back it goes on monday to replace the sensor and hopefully no more starting problems although it's only not started 3 times in 14 months and the ECU was replaced about a year ago , many thanks so far...
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

marino is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 12-08-2009   #6
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 3,254
Thanks: 120
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Cold starting issue!!!!!

I agree with (purple) David above the coldstart will damage the engine it can Diesel and damage the head gasket.

The TDC sensor can be intermittent and will start working after the engine starts to run from the cold start, cause the engine is Dieseling without a spark, and the vibration will allow an intermittent electrical contact to be remade.

If the engine keeps on starting the ECU is ok they are more reliable than more normal ECUs, so you would have to be really unlucky...

You can carry a can of cold start but I'd be real reluctant to use it... unless you like replacing head gaskets.

Noel
Thanks marino thanked for this post
__________________
standard Sei Sporting except for
colour matched ice scraper, screw driver,
& steering wheel lock i.e yellow car
spare alternator belt, clutch cable & bulb set, 2x overalls
Pep0 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 12-08-2009   #7
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: kent Riviera
Posts: 193
Thanks: 4
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Cold starting issue!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pep0 View Post
I agree with (purple) David above the coldstart will damage the engine it can Diesel and damage the head gasket.

The TDC sensor can be intermittent and will start working after the engine starts to run from the cold start, cause the engine is Dieseling without a spark, and the vibration will allow an intermittent electrical contact to be remade.

If the engine keeps on starting the ECU is ok they are more reliable than more normal ECUs, so you would have to be really unlucky...

You can carry a can of cold start but I'd be real reluctant to use it... unless you like replacing head gaskets.

Noel
Thanks for the info and No i don't make a habit of using the easystart as my car has only failed to start 3 times in the 14 months i have had it and on these occations were cold starts only, I have never had starting problems after engine has been started from cold, when i go back to the garage to have the sensor fitted i will ask if there is a test that can rule out an ECU problem, hopefully the new sensor will cure the random coldstart problem , many thanks so far..
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

marino is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 17-08-2009   #8
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: kent Riviera
Posts: 193
Thanks: 4
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Cold starting issue!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by marino View Post
Thanks for the info and No i don't make a habit of using the easystart as my car has only failed to start 3 times in the 14 months i have had it and on these occations were cold starts only, I have never had starting problems after engine has been started from cold, when i go back to the garage to have the sensor fitted i will ask if there is a test that can rule out an ECU problem, hopefully the new sensor will cure the random coldstart problem , many thanks so far..
Update..... Had RPM Sensor fitted today and car seems better all round, more smoother and responsive and for the 1st time since i have had the car the tickover is smooth too, All that remains now is the random cold start to be cured, I thought the car was running well before but it's great now and mabe the MPG is better too, thanks for your help to diognose the problem...
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

marino is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 17-08-2009   #9
Autotest Special
 
rallycinq's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 23,441
Thanks: 1146
Blog Entries: 3
Trader Rating: 1
rallycinq has donated!
British Indian Ocean Territories 
Re: Cold starting issue!!!!!

sounds like a result

Cheers

SPD
__________________
rallycinq is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 18-08-2009   #10
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 3,254
Thanks: 120
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Cold starting issue!!!!!

Hi

The random cold start is characteristic of a failing TDC sensor.

They can need vibration (to start) or fail in vibration, e.g. at 2500 & 5000 RPM, or at tick over or all three at once. I'm thinking about carrying a spare.

About 50 mpg during long run M or A class roads, the 35l tanl is a limitation, if you do big trips.

Noel
__________________
standard Sei Sporting except for
colour matched ice scraper, screw driver,
& steering wheel lock i.e yellow car
spare alternator belt, clutch cable & bulb set, 2x overalls
Pep0 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(T) starting issue paul6693 Punto (Mk2/2b) 1 21-06-2009 17:30
(G) Starting issue???. marino Cinquecento / Seicento 9 12-06-2009 23:11
(T) Tipo Issue - Heater cold CagedBat Tipo (Classic) 6 01-02-2009 02:36
(T) Cold engine issue death_paladin9 Tipo (Classic) 28 27-03-2008 20:02
(T) engine starting issue sc4rf4ce Punto (Mk2/2b) 0 14-10-2007 22:55