Register Login
Save up to 15% with Adrian Flux insurance!
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-11-2008   #1
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Telford, West Midlands
Posts: 875
Thanks: 21
Trader Rating: 0
Thomas_Si has donated!
United Kingdom 
Cleaning Battery Clamps/Terminal

Anyone know any better methods than below, or anything I should do differently?

1.Disconnect negative then positive terminals.
2.Pour on baking soda and water mix.
3.Agitate with small wire brush.
4.Rinse off with warm water.
5.Reconnect terminals positve then negative.
6.Cover with petroleum jelly to prevent more corrosion.
__________________
Fix It Again Thomas!!

1998 Fiat Punto 60 S 1.2L SPi
Now Driving
2006 Grande Punto Dynamic 1.2L 8V
Thomas_Si is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 04-11-2008   #2
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
Punto wont start help please

Hi all not sure about posting here so if need be can some one from Admin please move to the right place, Help Guys my daughters N reg Punto 55 has just stopped working today, she was parked up with the engine running waiting for a mate and when she put her foot down to drive away the car stalled and wont start again, the key wont turn the starter motor and the battery isnt flat weve tried towing it to jump start but it still wont fire up the engine isnt seized as it will turn over with a push or when you rock it but wont turn over with the key, RAC say starter is US but shouldent it still start with a tow? there is plenty of petrol in the car, it only gives one click when you turn the key as if it has a flat battery but i dought its the battery as i would have thought it would have started with Jump leads or a tow, i dont really want to go out and get a new starter for it then find out its something else, any ideas much appreciated thanks Steve
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

steveiboy is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 04-11-2008   #3
Shut Up, Fool!
 
thepottleflump's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Surrey
Posts: 2,538
Thanks: 22
Trader Rating: 0
thepottleflump has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Cleaning Battery Clamps/Terminal

I use wire wool or some wet and dry to clean the terminals, not sure why you want to pour on baking soda and water. Make sure the terminals and firmly connected.
__________________
1999 Alfa Romeo GTV V6
thepottleflump is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 05-11-2008   #4
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Telford, West Midlands
Posts: 875
Thanks: 21
Trader Rating: 0
Thomas_Si has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Cleaning Battery Clamps/Terminal

Quote Originally Posted by thepottleflump View Post
I use wire wool or some wet and dry to clean the terminals, not sure why you want to pour on baking soda and water. Make sure the terminals and firmly connected.
Baking soda and water neutarlises and dissolves any fluffy acid build up
__________________
Fix It Again Thomas!!

1998 Fiat Punto 60 S 1.2L SPi
Now Driving
2006 Grande Punto Dynamic 1.2L 8V
Thomas_Si is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 05-11-2008   #5
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Telford, West Midlands
Posts: 875
Thanks: 21
Trader Rating: 0
Thomas_Si has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Punto wont start help please

Quote Originally Posted by steveiboy View Post
Hi all not sure about posting here so if need be can some one from Admin please move to the right place, Help Guys my daughters N reg Punto 55 has just stopped working today, she was parked up with the engine running waiting for a mate and when she put her foot down to drive away the car stalled and wont start again, the key wont turn the starter motor and the battery isnt flat weve tried towing it to jump start but it still wont fire up the engine isnt seized as it will turn over with a push or when you rock it but wont turn over with the key, RAC say starter is US but shouldent it still start with a tow? there is plenty of petrol in the car, it only gives one click when you turn the key as if it has a flat battery but i dought its the battery as i would have thought it would have started with Jump leads or a tow, i dont really want to go out and get a new starter for it then find out its something else, any ideas much appreciated thanks Steve
If you starter is gone the key should still turn and you just get a faint 'click' coming from the starter unit.

Try the followig to tow start the car, switch the igntion on so all the dash lights come up, put in in secondgear and put the cluctch down, push the car along then lift the cluctch and the engine should fire up.

I'm assuming your key still turns in the ignition barrel.

Could a mod move this to new post please
__________________
Fix It Again Thomas!!

1998 Fiat Punto 60 S 1.2L SPi
Now Driving
2006 Grande Punto Dynamic 1.2L 8V
Thomas_Si is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 05-11-2008   #6
Shut Up, Fool!
 
thepottleflump's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Surrey
Posts: 2,538
Thanks: 22
Trader Rating: 0
thepottleflump has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Cleaning Battery Clamps/Terminal

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_Si View Post
Baking soda and water neutralizes and dissolves any fluffy acid build up
yes because Baking soda is alkaline but I still wouldn't be cleaning battery terminals with it....mjst say I've never heard of anyone doing this before.
__________________
1999 Alfa Romeo GTV V6
thepottleflump is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 05-11-2008   #7
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Telford, West Midlands
Posts: 875
Thanks: 21
Trader Rating: 0
Thomas_Si has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Cleaning Battery Clamps/Terminal

Quote Originally Posted by thepottleflump View Post
yes because Baking soda is alkaline but I still wouldn't be cleaning battery terminals with it....mjst say I've never heard of anyone doing this before.
I hadn't either till I had a look round the web, longa s you rinse it off shouldn't be a problem.

Some people were advocating dr pepper to clean it
__________________
Fix It Again Thomas!!

1998 Fiat Punto 60 S 1.2L SPi
Now Driving
2006 Grande Punto Dynamic 1.2L 8V
Thomas_Si is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 09-11-2008   #8
Shut Up, Fool!
 
thepottleflump's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Surrey
Posts: 2,538
Thanks: 22
Trader Rating: 0
thepottleflump has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Cleaning Battery Clamps/Terminal

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_Si View Post
I hadn't either till I had a look round the web, longa s you rinse it off shouldn't be a problem.

Some people were advocating dr pepper to clean it
What ever is wrong with wire wool? How on earth did anyone ever come up with the idea of using a fizzy drink to clean battery terminals? I found a link about using baking soda and I'd be wanting to remove the battery before splashing water around it.

A quick clean with a rag and a bit of wirewool always does the trick for me (haven't I already said this ) Terminals are usually made of lead which is so soft any abbrasive will have them nice a shiney within seconds. Off course you do need to remove the cables where the link I found seem to show they couldn't be arsed.
__________________
1999 Alfa Romeo GTV V6
thepottleflump is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 01-01-2014   #9
`
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 6,132
Thanks: 183
Trader Rating: 0
flisko has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Cleaning Battery Clamps/Terminal

Quote Originally Posted by thepottleflump View Post
What ever is wrong with wire wool? How on earth did anyone ever come up with the idea of using a fizzy drink to clean battery terminals? I found a link about using baking soda and I'd be wanting to remove the battery before splashing water around it.

A quick clean with a rag and a bit of wirewool always does the trick for me (haven't I already said this ) Terminals are usually made of lead which is so soft any abbrasive will have them nice a shiney within seconds. Off course you do need to remove the cables where the link I found seem to show they couldn't be arsed.
or use coca cola
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

flisko is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 01-01-2014   #10
Shut Up, Fool!
 
thepottleflump's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Surrey
Posts: 2,538
Thanks: 22
Trader Rating: 0
thepottleflump has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Cleaning Battery Clamps/Terminal

cheers you are only 5 years late to the party
__________________
1999 Alfa Romeo GTV V6
thepottleflump is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 02-01-2014   #11
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Near the M4
Posts: 25,729
Thanks: 972
Trader Rating: 0
varesecrazy has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Cleaning Battery Clamps/Terminal

Quote Originally Posted by thepottleflump View Post
cheers you are only 5 years late to the party

they MAY need doing again
Likes Crunch70 liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

varesecrazy is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(G) Battery/terminal Cover JOHN8763 Stilo 6 24-01-2008 18:07
(T) Negative Battery Terminal new2fiat Grande Punto 3 24-09-2007 22:58
(G) Battery terminal bolt BenW Panda (Classic) 2 15-01-2007 20:52
(S) amp/battery terminal jjmuk24hr Cinquecento / Seicento 17 25-03-2005 02:00