Register Login
Mr FIAT - Your #1 source for vintage car parts
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2017   #16
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Stourbridge
Posts: 551
Thanks: 29
Trader Rating: 0
Cadabena has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Some Bravo Questions (T-Jet vs Multiair and more)

Quote Originally Posted by MattH2580 View Post
Definitely going to do this on the test drive, and I'm also budgeting some extra cash so that I can take it to a mechanic after purchasing and to take apart and regrease the gearbox as well as possibly replace the joints on the driveshaft.
I'd just change the gearbox oil for some high-grade stuff and leave it at that, no point spending money unnecessarily. And driveshafts only cause damage if left untreated when vibrations start.
Cadabena is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 01-09-2017   #17
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: England
Posts: 21
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Some Bravo Questions (T-Jet vs Multiair and more)

Quote Originally Posted by Cadabena View Post
I'd just change the gearbox oil for some high-grade stuff and leave it at that, no point spending money unnecessarily. And driveshafts only cause damage if left untreated when vibrations start.
Ok got it, and do you have any idea of the rough cost of getting the gearbox oil swapped out?
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

MattH2580 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 01-09-2017   #18
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Stourbridge
Posts: 551
Thanks: 29
Trader Rating: 0
Cadabena has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Some Bravo Questions (T-Jet vs Multiair and more)

Quote Originally Posted by MattH2580 View Post
Ok got it, and do you have any idea of the rough cost of getting the gearbox oil swapped out?
Oil itself about 30, and about another 30 in labour at any garage? This place does it for 65.
Cadabena is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 02-09-2017   #19
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: London
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Some Bravo Questions (T-Jet vs Multiair and more)

Thought I'd share my views and experiences. We got a 10-reg 150 Sport with 51k on the clock last summer. It had some history and all stamps in the book but that didn't mean much as for example there was no evidence that the timing belt was replaced even though it had been due when it got serviced last (due to its age not mileage). So we took it to a trusted garage for a full inspection where it got new timing belt, water pump, spark plugs, front discs and pads, new battery, engine oil and filters, cabin filter and I asked them to replace the oil in the gearbox. All this wasn't cheap, I think it cost us around 850 but that and the cost of a new set of tyres were all I spent on the car so far, apart from one set of braking light bulbs and wiper blades.

We are 11k miles and 14 months later now and the car has been absolutely great so far. Moderate driving yielded a grand average of 38 mpg with about 50% dual carriageway and 25-25% country road and city driving. The only thing I don't like is the gearbox as sometimes it struggles to engage in 1st gear. To tackle this I try 2nd gear first then put into 1st immediately after then it works OK. I guess it has crappy bearings as many others have.

Now it's time for another service but I wager it's going to be the usual oil and filters change only but we'll see.

Re climate control issues, it only is a problem with Dynamic models, get one with the Sport trim which has manual air con and the problem goes away
Likes 1.8Stilo, LeighPing liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

attilab is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 02-09-2017   #20
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 42
Thanks: 1
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Thumbs up Re: Some Bravo Questions (T-Jet vs Multiair and more)

Almost 120k on my 2007 1.9 Bravo Dynamic. No real issues, other than a clutch change. It's been a good motor. Driving from Birmingham to Bruges, Belgium, I got 52 mpg @ 80 mph most of the way. I don't bother using the cruise control.

Around town, 50 mile round trip to work and back, I get 42 mpg. My lead booted wife, who forgets that it has 6 gears, gets 38.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

LeighPing is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 02-09-2017   #21
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: London
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Some Bravo Questions (T-Jet vs Multiair and more)

LeighPing yeah but yours is a diesel, small wonder you got 52 mpg on the motorway, it will always do better mileage than a T-Jet. My record was 46 mpg @ 60 mph with a full tank only on the motorway.
Likes LeighPing liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

attilab is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 02-09-2017   #22
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 21
Thanks: 1
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Quote Originally Posted by LeighPing View Post
Almost 120k on my 2007 1.9 Bravo Dynamic. No real issues, other than a clutch change. It's been a good motor. Driving from Birmingham to Bruges, Belgium, I got 52 mpg @ 80 mph most of the way. I don't bother using the cruise control.


Around town, 50 mile round trip to work and back, I get 42 mpg. My lead booted wife, who forgets that it has 6 gears, gets 38.
Hi mate ive got the same car but i was wondering how much did it cost you to change your clutch? Thanks
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

MoS110 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 02-09-2017   #23
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 42
Thanks: 1
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Arrow Re: Some Bravo Questions (T-Jet vs Multiair and more)

Quote Originally Posted by MoS110 View Post
Hi mate ive got the same car but i was wondering how much did it cost you to change your clutch? Thanks
600.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

LeighPing is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 02-09-2017   #24
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 40
Thanks: 2
Trader Rating: 0
Netherlands 
Re: Some Bravo Questions (T-Jet vs Multiair and more)

Depending on tour needs, maybe you could also consider the Chrysler Delta (if you need a little bit more space than the bravo), which is basically a slightly lengthened bravo, same technically. Though i do not know anything about prices and availability in the UK (since i am from Holland).
I ended up with one, and appreciate the better materials, larger interior space, extensive standard equipment, and styling of course, for a price that is equal to the bravos (in the netherlands).
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Rcl is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 03-09-2017   #25
Moderator
 
Peter Pick-Up's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,282
Thanks: 190
Trader Rating: 0
Peter Pick-Up has donated!
Netherlands 
Re: Some Bravo Questions (T-Jet vs Multiair and more)

Quote Originally Posted by Rcl View Post
Depending on tour needs, maybe you could also consider the Chrysler Delta (if you need a little bit more space than the bravo), which is basically a slightly lengthened bravo, same technically. Though i do not know anything about prices and availability in the UK (since i am from Holland).
I ended up with one, and appreciate the better materials, larger interior space, extensive standard equipment, and styling of course, for a price that is equal to the bravos (in the netherlands).
Chrysler Delta= Lancia Delta, more or less an upgraded Fiat Bravo, and it shares much with the Alfa Romeo Giulietta as well...
Likes LeighPing liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Peter Pick-Up is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 05-09-2017   #26
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: England
Posts: 21
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Some Bravo Questions (T-Jet vs Multiair and more)

Quote Originally Posted by Cadabena View Post
Oil itself about 30, and about another 30 in labour at any garage? This place does it for 65.
That's a really reassuring price!

Quote Originally Posted by attilab View Post
there was no evidence that the timing belt was replaced even though it had been due when it got serviced last (due to its age not mileage)
How often should the timing belt be replaced out of interest? and should the water pump be replaced at the same time?

Quote Originally Posted by attilab View Post
I think it cost us around 850
Ouch, but worth it I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by attilab View Post
The only thing I don't like is the gearbox as sometimes it struggles to engage in 1st gear. To tackle this I try 2nd gear first then put into 1st immediately after then it works OK. I guess it has crappy bearings as many others have.
Is there any way to fix that without getting a new gearbox? Can't you just have the bearings replaced?

Quote Originally Posted by attilab View Post
Now it's time for another service but I wager it's going to be the usual oil and filters change only but we'll see.
Do you know what the rough cost of this will be?

Quote Originally Posted by attilab View Post
Re climate control issues, it only is a problem with Dynamic models, get one with the Sport trim which has manual air con and the problem goes away
Ah perfect, thanks for the heads up, I'll steer clear of the dynamic models!

Quote Originally Posted by LeighPing View Post
Almost 120k on my 2007 1.9 Bravo Dynamic. No real issues, other than a clutch change. It's been a good motor. Driving from Birmingham to Bruges, Belgium, I got 52 mpg @ 80 mph most of the way. I don't bother using the cruise control.
That's pretty damn good, but I guess it is a diesel after all!

Quote Originally Posted by Rcl View Post
Depending on tour needs, maybe you could also consider the Chrysler Delta
I've not seen any available in my price range in the UK, I'll definitely have a look for them though.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

MattH2580 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 06-09-2017   #27
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: London
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Some Bravo Questions (T-Jet vs Multiair and more)

Quote Originally Posted by MattH2580 View Post
How often should the timing belt be replaced out of interest? and should the water pump be replaced at the same time?
According to the manual it should be replaced every 120k kms (75k miles) or every 5 years. I was told it is recommended to replace the water pump with it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MattH2580 View Post
Is there any way to fix that without getting a new gearbox? Can't you just have the bearings replaced?
No idea. I might ask about it next time I take it to the garage. I saw a "reconditioned" M32 gearbox on eBay here, not sure how longer this would last though. Anyways, it's not an urgent issue to me, I can live with it.

Quote Originally Posted by MattH2580 View Post
Do you know what the rough cost of this will be?
Nope. Will update once I got it back.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

attilab is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 07-09-2017   #28
Moderator
 
Peter Pick-Up's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,282
Thanks: 190
Trader Rating: 0
Peter Pick-Up has donated!
Netherlands 
Re: Some Bravo Questions (T-Jet vs Multiair and more)

With so many questions, I wonder if the Bravo is the right choice for you at all.....
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Peter Pick-Up is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 11-09-2017   #29
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: England
Posts: 21
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Some Bravo Questions (T-Jet vs Multiair and more)

Quote Originally Posted by attilab View Post
According to the manual it should be replaced every 120k kms (75k miles) or every 5 years. I was told it is recommended to replace the water pump with it as well.
Perfect, cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by attilab View Post
No idea. I might ask about it next time I take it to the garage. I saw a "reconditioned" M32 gearbox on eBay here, not sure how longer this would last though. Anyways, it's not an urgent issue to me, I can live with it.
Ok cool, good to know!


Quote Originally Posted by attilab View Post
Nope. Will update once I got it back.
Great, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Pick-Up View Post
With so many questions, I wonder if the Bravo is the right choice for you at all.....
Why so? I don't like going into things blind... not sure why that means the car isn't for me. Should I not ask questions before I buy something?
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

MattH2580 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 12-09-2017   #30
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bucharest
Posts: 1,408
Thanks: 78
Trader Rating: 0
Romania 
Re: Some Bravo Questions (T-Jet vs Multiair and more)

You can get the m32 bearings replaced, some places in UK do it in one day (with previous appointment, diagnostics etc) takes from 4 to 8 hours (as long as nothing causes problems.. stuck/snapped bolts..etc)

As far as i know it's around 6-800 GBP, ( add to that the price of the clutch if you need/want that as well)
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

aurick86 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(G) Tipo - T-jet and Multiair 1.4 120hp - is there a difference? AvidIrishReader Tipo 16 26-05-2017 23:22
Group Buy For T-jet and Multiair GSR Induction Kit Red Rocket CINQ Group Buys 22 18-07-2016 16:43
(G) Buying Fiat Grande Punto 1.4L T-jet or MultiAir GSR Induction Kit feddies Grande Punto 8 30-12-2013 23:16
(G) M-jet Or T-jet Practical Questions Help!! grandepunto4life Grande Punto 21 06-04-2008 21:59