Register Login
endrop - for all your online needs
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2019   #1
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Bravo HGT

Looking at buying a HGT I've seen

Just wondering if there is any common faults?
any areas susceptible to rusting I should pay attention too?
is 98k a lot of miles for one of these engines?
what is the cambelt interval?
any general knowledge would be very much appreciated!
many thanks
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Jamerz is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 10-01-2019   #2
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sevenoaks Kent
Posts: 999
Thanks: 22
Trader Rating: 0
CFREITAS has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Bravo HGT

If they are well looked after they are pretty bomb proof ....
Timing belts are supposed to be changed at 72,000miles or every 5 years ....been doing mine ecery 3years regardless of mileage to be safe ....

Rust is worse on the newer 155 HGTs .....
Older cars seem pretty good ...just check normal areas such as boot floor, floor pan jacking points and in perticular try and get a look behind the side skirts .....
98k is good mileage ...
One of my Marea 20v was on 243,000 miles before it went to fiat heaven and the engine was still decent
Likes Adrian Bravo, varesecrazy liked this post
__________________

Fiat Bravo HGT 20v
Fiat Bravo HGTT 20vt
Fiat Bravo Trofeo
Fiat Marea HLX 20v
CFREITAS is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 10-01-2019   #3
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Bravo HGT

Quote Originally Posted by CFREITAS View Post
If they are well looked after they are pretty bomb proof ....
Timing belts are supposed to be changed at 72,000miles or every 5 years ....been doing mine ecery 3years regardless of mileage to be safe ....

Rust is worse on the newer 155 HGTs .....
Older cars seem pretty good ...just check normal areas such as boot floor, floor pan jacking points and in perticular try and get a look behind the side skirts .....
98k is good mileage ...
One of my Marea 20v was on 243,000 miles before it went to fiat heaven and the engine was still decent
Hey thanks for the quick reply!

just a bit worried as the owner claims "engine wise the car has high lift cams, fancy valves and vernier pulleys, cold air feed induction and an oil catch tank."
any worries about the gearbox?
and its a 155 In in white so will be sure to look for rust if I go and look at it!
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Jamerz is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 10-01-2019   #4
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sevenoaks Kent
Posts: 999
Thanks: 22
Trader Rating: 0
CFREITAS has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Bravo HGT

If its that white one on ebay with the alfa wooden steering wheel i wouldnt go near it ......
Likes puntofan01 liked this post
__________________

Fiat Bravo HGT 20v
Fiat Bravo HGTT 20vt
Fiat Bravo Trofeo
Fiat Marea HLX 20v
CFREITAS is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 10-01-2019   #5
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sevenoaks Kent
Posts: 999
Thanks: 22
Trader Rating: 0
CFREITAS has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Bravo HGT

As for gearboxes they take a fair bit of abuse
__________________

Fiat Bravo HGT 20v
Fiat Bravo HGTT 20vt
Fiat Bravo Trofeo
Fiat Marea HLX 20v
CFREITAS is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 11-01-2019   #6
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Bravo HGT

Quote Originally Posted by CFREITAS View Post
If its that white one on ebay with the alfa wooden steering wheel i wouldnt go near it ......
That was indeed the one I was looking to get, not at the price of 1800,
why would you not go near it?
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Jamerz is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 11-01-2019   #7
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sevenoaks Kent
Posts: 999
Thanks: 22
Trader Rating: 0
CFREITAS has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Bravo HGT

Quote Originally Posted by Jamerz View Post
That was indeed the one I was looking to get, not at the price of 1800,
why would you not go near it?
A car that has had high lift cams and fancy valves which ive never heard of.....and still doesnt run right ...
The VIS is very hard to tune in standard for let alone with a moded engine......
Added to the fact that iys been for sale for years and no one has ever bought it even though plenty of people have seen it ..just doesnt make too much sence ...something doesnt add up ....
Likes varesecrazy liked this post
__________________

Fiat Bravo HGT 20v
Fiat Bravo HGTT 20vt
Fiat Bravo Trofeo
Fiat Marea HLX 20v
CFREITAS is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #8
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Bravo HGT

Thats my car.
you shouldnt really make assumptions until youve looked at it, or know someone who has. the engine runs absolutley fine, gearbox and clutch are perfect. it requires setting up because of the modifications. enthusiast owned before me. ive had it stored for 4 years. only bringing out to change oil and service.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

oltarmac is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #9
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Near the M4
Posts: 21,221
Thanks: 752
Trader Rating: 0
varesecrazy has donated!
United Kingdom 
Quote Originally Posted by oltarmac View Post
Thats my car.
you shouldnt really make assumptions until youve looked at it, or know someone who has. the engine runs absolutley fine, gearbox and clutch are perfect. it requires setting up because of the modifications. enthusiast owned before me. ive had it stored for 4 years. only bringing out to change oil and service.

So it didnt sell last month ( loss of storage: preston). or are you the new owner..?
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

varesecrazy is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #10
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Bravo HGT

ive owned the car for 4 years. its hardly moved... yes, ive tried to sell it a number of times because it simply isnt getting used. maybe its because in my eyes its worth alot more than they seem to be selling for.
it really is an excellent example but will require some minor tidying up.
ive got boxes and boxes of spares, the original fiat workshop manuals in blue folders, and masses and masses of history. the bloke who owned it before me spent a fortune on it.
im unsure why so much has been spent on performance parts because surely a better route would of been to put the 20v turbo lump in.
im 44, the previous owner was 50+ and had owned the car for a number of years.
these forums are a great place but can also be a dangerous place when people make assumptions based on there own thoughts without actual proof. the car passes its mot no issues every year. its well sorted and solid. maybe the stripes,wood steering wheel,after market seats and black wheels arent everyones cup of tea. maybe it would be better original. but i think it looks quirky and certainly different.
i question the power because with the mods i think it should be quicker, but one of my daily drives is 357bhp with masses of tourque. my summer car is 420bhp with 500+nm of torque, then ive a knockabout diesel thats 155bhp with loads of torque.
ive aload of cars. the fiat is one that im struggling now to dry store. i cant handle it being outside. this forum is probably a great place for me to gain some knowledge and help when i need it.
Likes varesecrazy liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

oltarmac is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #11
Banned
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 610
Thanks: 28
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Bravo HGT

Quote Originally Posted by oltarmac View Post
Thats my car.
you shouldnt really make assumptions until youve looked at it, or know someone who has. the engine runs absolutley fine, gearbox and clutch are perfect. it requires setting up because of the modifications. enthusiast owned before me. ive had it stored for 4 years. only bringing out to change oil and service.
If it runs fine, why does it need setting up?

Also the minor issue of no visible welding when it has an MOT fail for rust just 3 years ago...
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides


Last edited by Schumi2001; 4 Weeks Ago at 13:20.
Schumi2001 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #12
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Bravo HGT

[QUOTE=Schumi2001;4511851]If it runs fine, why does it need setting up?

Also the minor issue of no visible welding when it has an MOT fail for rust just 3 years ago...[/QUOTEi

i would assume that when adding modifications the best route forward would then be to remap with the mods in mind.
yes.. im aware of that on the mot. my dates of ownership might be wrong.
i think we may of bought the car just after, ill have to check and get back to you.
just checked logbook.
we aquired it on 11/6/2016
previous owner 17/01/2009
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

oltarmac is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #13
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sevenoaks Kent
Posts: 999
Thanks: 22
Trader Rating: 0
CFREITAS has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Bravo HGT

Quote Originally Posted by oltarmac View Post
ive owned the car for 4 years. its hardly moved... yes, ive tried to sell it a number of times because it simply isnt getting used. maybe its because in my eyes its worth alot more than they seem to be selling for.
it really is an excellent example but will require some minor tidying up.
ive got boxes and boxes of spares, the original fiat workshop manuals in blue folders, and masses and masses of history. the bloke who owned it before me spent a fortune on it.
im unsure why so much has been spent on performance parts because surely a better route would of been to put the 20v turbo lump in.
im 44, the previous owner was 50+ and had owned the car for a number of years.
these forums are a great place but can also be a dangerous place when people make assumptions based on there own thoughts without actual proof. the car passes its mot no issues every year. its well sorted and solid. maybe the stripes,wood steering wheel,after market seats and black wheels arent everyones cup of tea. maybe it would be better original. but i think it looks quirky and certainly different.
i question the power because with the mods i think it should be quicker, but one of my daily drives is 357bhp with masses of tourque. my summer car is 420bhp with 500+nm of torque, then ive a knockabout diesel thats 155bhp with loads of torque.
ive aload of cars. the fiat is one that im struggling now to dry store. i cant handle it being outside. this forum is probably a great place for me to gain some knowledge and help when i need it.
You say you've tried to sell it a number of times and its gone nowhere
There must be a reasons......ive been offered 3000 for my car and a similar car has sold for similar money recently......

I make my assumptions based on knowledge of the cars, and the info thats on the net,

If the car has high lift cams it most likely wont run at all so some tuning has taken place for it to run nicely

The interior is a mess with wooden bits that dont belong to the car .....
And somewhere ive seen that car advertised as a "genuine abarth" which make me doubt that car even more as there was never a Bravo Abarth ...only parts from the catalogue which wasnt avaliable for the HGT, so the skirts and front bumper have had to be butchered to fit properly
__________________

Fiat Bravo HGT 20v
Fiat Bravo HGTT 20vt
Fiat Bravo Trofeo
Fiat Marea HLX 20v

Last edited by CFREITAS; 4 Weeks Ago at 19:56.
CFREITAS is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #14
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Bravo HGT

Hello again,
ive got very little patience when advertising cars, and im not the best at descriptions. the wood inside the car is the steering wheel. i think there may be an original steering wheel in the spares, ill need to look. the non original interior, tbh i thought it was ok but obviously non standard. the bumper and side skirts have definatley not been butchered on, that i can guarantee. if anyones local please feel free to come and cast your opinion, ill make you a brew no problem.
invoices.
1, performance3000.com bravo cams 270.00 (labour)
2. lightened flywheel 110.00
3. piper cams.
4. ported inlet manifold 3 bar reg 348 injectors 150
5. stage 2 cylinder head 475.00
there is also alot of communication with a company called angel tuning. this is honestly the first time ive ever looked at the paperwork for this car. it was bought, drove up 300 miles or whatever it is from dorset and then tucked into the corner of my unit.
its also got fiat coupe alloy wheels plus genuine brembo calipers and fancy front discs.
im still really undecided what to do with it.
nearly everything is documented. in a proper folder.
theres also at least 4 boxes of spares that ive never looked at.
when it has been advertised for sale, not one person has seemed serious or has bothered to come and have a look.
im a bit different... i see something, i like it. i buy it. then think... wtf have i just done that for.
there is also some correspondence regarding cutting down the valve stems.
again angel tuning.
my collection is slowly thinning down. although ive still a few others in storage that will be needing to go at some point.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides


Last edited by oltarmac; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:09.
oltarmac is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Archive Video: 98' Bravo HGT @ Dyno ! (Boorock's HGT) Boorock FIAT Boo Archives 3 16-06-2010 21:06
Whats the difference between bravo hgt and bravo 155 hgt? Tony T FIAT Boo Archives 9 15-10-2002 21:15
brazil dont get a bravo hgt they get a brava hgt ryan FIAT Boo Archives 31 28-07-2002 23:27