Register Login
im Axle Specialists
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 21-08-2009   #1
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 554
Thanks: 18
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Engine Swap

What engines are a straight forward (or at least, not major hassle) for the Barchetta?

I hear 1.8 Brava/Bravo. I've also heard 2.0 T.Spark? What about the Marea 2.0? Or the NA 4 Cylinder Coupé
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Funkstar De Luxe is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 21-08-2009   #2
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,421
Thanks: 31
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Engine Swap

Quote Originally Posted by Funkstar De Luxe View Post
What engines are a straight forward (or at least, not major hassle) for the Barchetta?

I hear 1.8 Brava/Bravo. I've also heard 2.0 T.Spark? What about the Marea 2.0? Or the NA 4 Cylinder Coupé
What's wrong with your engine?
__________________
Current cars: Maserati Ghibli, Lancia Fulvia, Fiat Coupe 20VT, Fiat Stilo JTD, Fiat Panda Mjet.
afroking is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 21-08-2009   #3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 554
Thanks: 18
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Engine Swap

Long list.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Funkstar De Luxe is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 21-08-2009   #4
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,421
Thanks: 31
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Engine Swap

Quote Originally Posted by Funkstar De Luxe View Post
Long list.
I have time...
__________________
Current cars: Maserati Ghibli, Lancia Fulvia, Fiat Coupe 20VT, Fiat Stilo JTD, Fiat Panda Mjet.
afroking is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 21-08-2009   #5
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 554
Thanks: 18
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Engine Swap

Worn buckets, chewed cam, stuck exhaust valve (I think), throwing oil out of the exhaust. It's obviously ingested quite a lit of metal from the cam and it's cheaper and easier just to fit a new one. Took it to an engine reconditioner, looking for £500 total to rebuild the head. Not worth the risk of it happening again.

I think a failed oil pump may have caused it, but I'm not 100% sure. She's dead, although surprisingly, still starts and runs pretty well.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Funkstar De Luxe is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 21-08-2009   #6
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dublin
Posts: 929
Thanks: 20
Trader Rating: 0
Ireland 
Re: Engine Swap

Punto HGT is the same engine. Seem to be a few around.

Avoid doing a major power upgrade (I am that soldier) as its a slippery slope leading down down down. Power upgrades need new brakes, new wheels, new clutch, new...You see where this is going?

I think most of 1.8 - 2.0 Alfa's fit as its the same block with a different head from the TS. I was offered a good used Alfa 2.0 but went for the 16vt turbo (and wish I hadn't) Avoid the Alfa 2.5 -3.0 as they won't fit.
__________________
Gentlemen prefer red ones..
But hooligans prefer turbocharged blue ones...

Last edited by Rustbucket; 21-08-2009 at 21:10.
Rustbucket is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 21-08-2009   #7
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 554
Thanks: 18
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Engine Swap

So, I could get a T.Spark 2.0 in there with as much ease as a 1.8 HGT? In threory...
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Funkstar De Luxe is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 21-08-2009   #8
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,421
Thanks: 31
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Engine Swap

Quote Originally Posted by Funkstar De Luxe View Post
Worn buckets, chewed cam, stuck exhaust valve (I think), throwing oil out of the exhaust. It's obviously ingested quite a lit of metal from the cam and it's cheaper and easier just to fit a new one. Took it to an engine reconditioner, looking for £500 total to rebuild the head. Not worth the risk of it happening again.

I think a failed oil pump may have caused it, but I'm not 100% sure. She's dead, although surprisingly, still starts and runs pretty well.
Shame at a little over 110,000 miles it has failed.
Usually the cause is lack of basic maintenance; most important is an oil and filter change.

If you take it to the right place and they rebuild it correctly it will be fine providing the bores, pistons, big ends etc are ok.

It shouldn't have failed so early, Fiat/Lancia twin cams are among the finest engines ever produced.

How long have you owned the car?
__________________
Current cars: Maserati Ghibli, Lancia Fulvia, Fiat Coupe 20VT, Fiat Stilo JTD, Fiat Panda Mjet.
afroking is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 21-08-2009   #9
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 554
Thanks: 18
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Engine Swap

Quote Originally Posted by afroking View Post
Shame at a little over 110,000 miles it has failed.
Usually the cause is lack of basic maintenance; most important is an oil and filter change.

If you take it to the right place and they rebuild it correctly it will be fine providing the bores, pistons, big ends etc are ok.

It shouldn't have failed so early, Fiat/Lancia twin cams are among the finest engines ever produced.

How long have you owned the car?
8 Months. And I've been throwing money at it maintenance-wise. I've also driven it like an old lady. The problem with the rebuild is, I don;t know really, why it happened. Or what other components are damaged.

Everyone tells me that the HGT engines are strong, but at a little over 100K Miles mine was pretty much scrap.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Funkstar De Luxe is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 21-08-2009   #10
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,421
Thanks: 31
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Engine Swap

It will be lack of oil changes or oil starvation.
__________________
Current cars: Maserati Ghibli, Lancia Fulvia, Fiat Coupe 20VT, Fiat Stilo JTD, Fiat Panda Mjet.
afroking is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 21-08-2009   #11
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 554
Thanks: 18
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Engine Swap

Yup, that's why I was thinking oil pump. Anyway, will a standard 2.0 from a 156 fit?
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Funkstar De Luxe is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 21-08-2009   #12
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,421
Thanks: 31
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Engine Swap

Quote Originally Posted by Funkstar De Luxe View Post
Yup, that's why I was thinking oil pump. Anyway, will a standard 2.0 from a 156 fit?
Physically it will fit but they go for a premium because people let them snap cam belts so they are thin on the ground.
By the time you have sourced one and fitted it, you will have shelled out far more than £500 especially if you don't fit it yourself.

A good 2.0 twinny will go for £500 +/- £100
__________________
Current cars: Maserati Ghibli, Lancia Fulvia, Fiat Coupe 20VT, Fiat Stilo JTD, Fiat Panda Mjet.
afroking is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 21-08-2009   #13
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 554
Thanks: 18
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Engine Swap

You have any recommendations then? I'd ideally like a 2.0 for a little extra power
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Funkstar De Luxe is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 21-08-2009   #14
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,421
Thanks: 31
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Engine Swap

Quote Originally Posted by Funkstar De Luxe View Post
You have any recommendations then? I'd ideally like a 2.0 for a little extra power
You're looking at serious money I am afraid. You could do it on a budget if you had the skills - I'm not insinuating you don't!

I would personally get the head off and check the cylinder bores first, if they check out ok and you haven't noticed the big ends knocking when you run it I would rebuild the old head. Or you can get a punto HGT engine and swap it over but again this will cost a bit of money.
__________________
Current cars: Maserati Ghibli, Lancia Fulvia, Fiat Coupe 20VT, Fiat Stilo JTD, Fiat Panda Mjet.
afroking is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 21-08-2009   #15
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 554
Thanks: 18
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Engine Swap

Quote Originally Posted by afroking View Post
You're looking at serious money I am afraid. You could do it on a budget if you had the skills - I'm not insinuating you don't!

I would personally get the head off and check the cylinder bores first, if they check out ok and you haven't noticed the big ends knocking when you run it I would rebuild the old head. Or you can get a punto HGT engine and swap it over but again this will cost a bit of money.
The bores seem ok, but the amount of metal I found in the sump was worrying. Where the best, cheapest place to get an HGT engine?

And I have no where near the skills to do this myself I need to save every penny, but would end up ruining the car if I tried
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Funkstar De Luxe is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(Tu) engine swap help? aza148 Cinquecento / Seicento 1 29-07-2009 20:54
(T) Seicento engine swap... which engine? xjairusx Cinquecento / Seicento 11 11-05-2009 15:56
(G) engine swap to an punto gt engine boukekoppejan Cinquecento / Seicento 15 22-04-2009 14:57
Do-able engine swap??? Smiff Lets Talk FIAT 10 04-01-2009 17:43
(G) Engine Swap si_pow Punto (Mk2/2b) 16 19-04-2008 12:05