Register Login
Shop4Parts - UK's largest online superstore for FIAT and Alfa Romeo parts
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 14-07-2009   #16
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nicosia
Posts: 2,079
Thanks: 47
Trader Rating: 0
KC3 has donated!
Cyprus 
Re: Spacers

I believe the ET number is the measurement / offset between the inner rim where its sits on yr vehicle to the outer edge of the wheel.

A rim with an ET of 40 will mean that the inner side of the wheel rim will be
closer to the suspension components over a rim, say with an ET of 30/32.

Hence the use of a spacer to correct this.

The B's standard wheels have an offset or ET32 to their rim, and have used a spacer of 5mm as standard on the rear to align the wheels within the arch.

I now have a new set of wheels on mine with an ET38 and have used a 20mm spacer , in effect 15mm over the standard spec to re align the wheels and keep them from fouling.

hope this helps, but sure someone will give a better and more professional explanation. and with pics..
Thanks Robot thanked for this post
__________________
KC3 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 14-07-2009   #17
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 554
Thanks: 18
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Spacers

Thanks Robot thanked for this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Funkstar De Luxe is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 14-07-2009   #18
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Scottish Borders
Posts: 1,160
Thanks: 27
Trader Rating: 0
bumble has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Spacers

Although it's ben a long while, here's my recollection of 'offset'. If you imagine the exact centre line of the wheel aligns perfectly with the out face of the wheel mounting flange, there is no offset at all. If the centre line is further out, this is positive offset and measured in millimetres. If the centre line is further in, this is negative offset and also measured in millimetres but prefixed with a minus sign. Thus if a wheel has an offset of 38mm and you use a 6mm spacer, the new offset will be 44mm. By increasing the offset of a standard wheel, you also alter the steering geometry and increase the turning circle... this may seem minor but you also increse the gyroscopic effect on the front wheels when they are turning at speed... this is one of the reasons why more powerful cars run more negative offset and F1 cars used to have smaller wheels at the front... interesting forum this.

Steve
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

bumble is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 14-07-2009   #19
HP
I was only doing 80...
 
HP's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: North East
Posts: 9,864
Thanks: 116
Trader Rating: 0
HP has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Spacers

Yes and no. If you're running positive offset (which most do) then adding a spacer reduces the overall offset - so a 6mm spacer on ET38 would give you an effective offset of ET32.

Interested about info on the gyroscopic effect, not heard this before and quite puzzled as to how this would work unless the spacers were very heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by bumble View Post
Although it's ben a long while, here's my recollection of 'offset'. If you imagine the exact centre line of the wheel aligns perfectly with the out face of the wheel mounting flange, there is no offset at all. If the centre line is further out, this is positive offset and measured in millimetres. If the centre line is further in, this is negative offset and also measured in millimetres but prefixed with a minus sign. Thus if a wheel has an offset of 38mm and you use a 6mm spacer, the new offset will be 44mm. By increasing the offset of a standard wheel, you also alter the steering geometry and increase the turning circle... this may seem minor but you also increse the gyroscopic effect on the front wheels when they are turning at speed... this is one of the reasons why more powerful cars run more negative offset and F1 cars used to have smaller wheels at the front... interesting forum this.

Steve
__________________
Pete.


"Make something idiot proof and someone will just go and build a better idiot".
HP is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 14-07-2009   #20
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Scottish Borders
Posts: 1,160
Thanks: 27
Trader Rating: 0
bumble has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Spacers

Quote Originally Posted by HP. View Post
Yes and no. If you're running positive offset (which most do) then adding a spacer reduces the overall offset - so a 6mm spacer on ET38 would give you an effective offset of ET32.

Interested about info on the gyroscopic effect, not heard this before and quite puzzled as to how this would work unless the spacers were very heavy.
You could write a university thesis on this HP... I think the gyro effect isnt just altered by the mass of the rotating wheel but also by increasing the turning radius of the rotating wheel (the distance from the centre of the ball joint to the outside of the wheel mounting flange where the offset is measured) Its all getting a bit technical... enough to drive a man to drink... cheers.

Steve
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

bumble is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 01-03-2019   #21
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 107
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Spacers

Quote Originally Posted by bumble View Post
You could write a university thesis on this HP... I think the gyro effect isnt just altered by the mass of the rotating wheel but also by increasing the turning radius of the rotating wheel (the distance from the centre of the ball joint to the outside of the wheel mounting flange where the offset is measured) Its all getting a bit technical... enough to drive a man to drink... cheers.

Steve
I think I need a couple of pints now
I was thinking about wheel spacers my turbine wheels look to sit well in sde the arch and I thought they would look better a little further out
But all this about offset is turning me to drink
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

111rob0 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 03-03-2019   #22
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 304
Thanks: 23
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Spacers

I have an extra 10mm on the back of mine.

They are held in by the standard fit pins that hold the rear disc and the FIAT

spacer.

I did this as the Alfa wheels I have fitted are different offset and they've been

on the car for more than 2 years and thousands of miles with no problems.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Barchetta Bloke 440 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(T) RE: spacers $+\/ Punto (Mk2/2b) 3 15-06-2008 16:20
(G) Spacers!!! R12MUS Punto (Mk2/2b) 1 23-01-2008 13:57
(S) need spacers?? bobbydaz Bravo / Brava 1 07-01-2008 10:42
(G) spacers tidus Cinquecento / Seicento 3 11-05-2007 16:16
(S) spacers cheekycento21 Cinquecento / Seicento 21 01-06-2006 00:11