Technical Abarth 500 gearbox

Currently reading:
Technical Abarth 500 gearbox

rivill

Hi all,
This may be a dumb question but just need some clarification to work out my options.
I have a 2012 abarth 500c automatic and the service centre has told me that it needs a new gearbox. Sourcing a second hand/used gearbox here in Australia is proving hard to find, I would rather not have to buy a brand new one from Fiat if I can avoid it.
My question is do I need to source an Abarth gearbox for my car to work again or can I use one from a standard Fiat 500 instead?
Thanks

Someone with access to the parts system will have to look up what else that gearbox is attached to (e.g. Alfa Mito?) If you can find it fits some less saucy/more unknown model, you can look for a box advertised for one of those. It'll be cheaper if it's from a Mito say, than an Abarth 500.

If your gearbox isn't completely knackered (e.g. just worn clutches or something) then you may be able to get it repaired much more cheaply than replacing the gearbox altogether. The only downside is that often you only find out everything that's wrong with it when you dismantle it, and in my experience, every single gearbox part costs at least £100, so it's a bit of a gamble whether you can fix it more cost effectively than replacing it.

Fiat (UK at least) also sells re-conditioned parts. A factory recon'd box will be as good as new, as the easiest way for the factory to recondition a gearbox is to fit all new parts into it. The case will appear all new and shiny (they blast them or something.. just it isn't literally "new"). If you can get a factory recon'd jobbie they'll be aboot half the price of a new 'box (you might have to exchange your old one).

Failing that.. they must sell Fiat's somewhere near you (NZ or Indonesia etc.) which might turn up a reasonable box.. .although second-hand from that far away makes bringing it back when you discover they sold you their broken gearbox a bit more problematic.

Ralf S.

Last edited:
Back