Technical Oil cap sludge.

Currently reading:
Technical Oil cap sludge.

GazzP87

Morning all,
At the weekend I carried out my quarterly checks (only had the car 3 months) I checked water, oil topped up fluids etc.
I opened the oil filler cap for some reason as I don’t usually do it.
It was very stiff to open but once I did!!
I found basically a plug of oil/creamy residue inside the cap and in the engine itself. After the panic had subsided I checked again. Water was fine, dipstick oil was clear so I suspect it’s not head gasket.
The dealer has it back to investigate further.
It seems like with the recent cold weather combined with my short journeys to work that the engine isn’t getting to optimum temperature causing the condensation build up.
Should hear from the garage today what the likely cause is and I’d rather look stupid and it be nothing than leave it and the engine seize up.

Attachments

• 6147FC74-7C19-4A1F-9443-F68A41CADCF8.jpeg
    6147FC74-7C19-4A1F-9443-F68A41CADCF8.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 1,485
So you didnt need to top.up coolant?

Cars that never get HOT can build levels of this..
Its an emulsion of 'damp air' depositing water in an oily environment

Commonly referred to as Mayo
As its like mayonnaise

Its likely the inside of the camcover has loads of this :(
Having popped 2 headgaskets ..6 weeks apart..on my old FIRE panda..I know how quickly it can build

Last edited:
It seems like with the recent cold weather combined with my short journeys to work that the engine isn’t getting to optimum temperature causing the condensation build up.

That's the most likely cause. Just an inevitable consequence of mostly short journeys in cold weather. Given the current lockdown, not much anyone can do about this.

Fingers crossed it's not more serious.

If everything checks out, I'd remove the cam cover, clean it out, and do an oil & filter change. I'd also clean out the breather hoses; chances are they'll be similarly clogged.

Come to think of it, until we return to normality, all those folks who are now only using their cars for short journeys would do well to carry out an oil/filter change in the spring. Don't assume because you're doing a lower mileage, you can defer servicing; the opposite is the case and a low mileage car actually needs more frequent servicing as the fluids don't get hot enough to burn off the moisture that inevitably collects.

Last edited:
I did top up the coolant but it was on minimum and wasn’t dry. I drove it to the dealer which is a 40 minute journey from mine on B roads and motorways. And the car reached temperature with no issues.
It’s squeaky bum time for today until I hear although it’s under warranty.
Maybe I do need an electric car ����*♂️

It's certainly just condensation.

Just scoop it out (wear rubber/latex/neoprene gloves, since it's not going to be kind to your skin), including the rubber breather pipe, since it'll be in there too.

Every so often (once a week say) try to give the beast a longer run, so that the engine oil gets hot (this is usually a little later than the coolant reaches temperature). A short run at legal speeds on a dual-carriageway or motorway will be just the ticket. And when the car is warmed up, give it a few more revs through the gears, so it helps get the oil working.

Ralf S.

I did top up the coolant but it was on minimum and wasn’t dry. I drove it to the dealer which is a 40 minute journey from mine on B roads and motorways. And the car reached temperature with no issues.
It’s squeaky bum time for today until I hear although it’s under warranty.
Maybe I do need an electric car ����*♂️
Can you remember from previous checks whether the level has always been at minimum when cold? You say you topped it up but maybe that's where the level has always been? I'd not be worrying too much if I were you. As everyone above is saying It's almost certainly a combination of short journeys/cold engine causing condensation to build up which then gets whipped into an emulsion with the engine oil and causes this Mayonnaise to build up. Aluminium is also an excellent conductor of heat so the cam cover tends to stay quite cold for longer than on the old cast iron engines with their pressed steel cam/rocker covers did - all combines to exacerbate the problem. Keeping a regular eye on the level in future would be wise though - I check my levels every week - washer reservoir, brake and clutch fluid, coolant level and engine oil with a quick glance at the wee window on top of the battery - just takes a couple of minutes and keeps the bonnet release cable nice and free running! Tyre pressures I leave a bit longer, probably once a month unless I've got one I'm "worried" might be loosing pressure. I also like to use a white, or light coloured rag (lint free - old underpants work well!) when checking the oil. After you've wiped the dipstick take a look at the oil residue on the rag. Most of the liquid oil will quickly soak into the rag and leave behind any residue. What you are looking for is solids. Of course it'll be dirty and blackish in colour unless it's been changed very recently and a diesel will get it's oil dirty much quicker than a petrol but what you don't want to see are solid little specks or, even worse, little bright "sparkly" specs. Solid dirty black specs - if you "squish" them between your fingers they will be mushy and smear - probably will just mean you should be thinking of changing the oil soon because the oil filter should be catching this. If you see the little sparkly specs then Oh dear, because they are almost certainly tiny bits of metal which have worn off inside bits of the engine and they shouldn't have - best guess is usually the big end or main bearings but many other possibilities exist. I always drain engine oil into a clean container and have a very careful look at it when emptying into my bulk used oil container when doing a service for just this sort of "early warning"

I hear people saying "with the lockdown I must give the car a wee run just to keep the battery up and brakes from seizing". If you are going to do this you really need to go far enough - even if all you're doing is going round and round and round the block - to get the whole engine and it's oil "heat soaked" properly otherwise you are probably doing more harm than good. Typically an engine thermostat will open after a couple of miles or so (it varies car to car) of driving at around the 90 to 98 degrees centigrade water temperature. Nearly all of this temperature will be created in the cylinderhead and at the top of the bores and a lot of it will be dispersed into the heater matrix inside the car. The oil and bottom end of the engine will likely take a good 5 miles or more before coming up to temp and in really cold weather it can take longer as the sump looses temperature to the cold air rushing past it. You are only going to start "decondensing" (is there such a word) the oil and inside of the engine when the temperature is high enough to turn the liquid condensed water back into gas (steam?) and then it's got to find it's way out of the engine via the breather pipes (which may well themselves be blocked with Mayo and probably won't clear themselves without you actually dismantling and blowing them out!).

The lesson to be learned is that frequent short journeys with an engine never getting properly hot - heat soaked - is not a good way to treat your car. I would guess that anything under about a ten mile journey is not going to do the job. The worst engine I've ever seen for this problem was the Vauxhall Viva HA and HB with the wee OHV engine. It had an engine driven fan, as they all did in those days, which rotated all the time driven by the fan belt. The problem was though that the water pump on this engine was mounted quite high up on the front of the block so the fan was also high. this resulted in air being drawn directly over the top of the rocker cover so it was always too cold. Vauxhall actually issued a kit which consisted of a wee metal deflector plate which screwed to the front of the engine - I think to the top 2 water pump fixings? - which was supposed to interrupt the flow of air. It didn't really make any difference. These engines built up so much "Mayo" whenever the weather was cold that you could scoop it out with a soup spoon!

By the way, on the subject of "the mayo". If you want a few minutes of light entertainment. Take a good sized blob of it and put it in the palm of your hand. Then, "puddle" it by gently poking it repeatedly with one of your fingers - I find the middle finger works well - in and out of the blob. After doing this for a while, couple of minutes or so, it varies, if you do it for long enough you will end up with a small blob of dirty looking engine oil and a somewhat bigger blob of surprisingly clean looking water. On the other hand you may not find this kind of activity entertaining enough and have more important things to do? but, once you are old and retired, doing this sort of "stuff" becomes really quite exciting!
Regards from "sad" old Jock

Update-
Garage called and said
“ Hello Gary, the mechanic has called me. He’s done a block test on the head all ok. No signs of leaks anywhere. Driven the car and had it running for hours with temperature all kicking in ok and the header tank hasn’t lost any water so all appears to be ok”
So looks and sounds like it’s the initial thought of a bad case of Mayo!!
Thanks for all the help and advice.
Hope this can help others in future. ..
And relax.

Update-
Garage called and said
“ Hello Gary, the mechanic has called me. He’s done a block test on the head all ok. No signs of leaks anywhere. Driven the car and had it running for hours with temperature all kicking in ok and the header tank hasn’t lost any water so all appears to be ok”
So looks and sounds like it’s the initial thought of a bad case of Mayo!!
Thanks for all the help and advice.
Hope this can help others in future. ..
And relax.

My Panda Twin air was similar in late 2018 at a year old. 3 trusted dealers said don't worry but I decided to change the car. I asked GEM technical expert for advice and he confirmed that this issue is prevalent with many makes due to the sealed nature of modern engines. His advice was make sure oil is changed regularly and with the exact grade and type specified. The conditions that cause the contamination should be within the parameters of the oil to cope. My new car is better but the issue is still noticeable.

I have decided that I don't want the water contamination of my oil and am going to fit a catch tank once I have identified what is suitable without altering the crank case breather system and after the warranty period expires. I have two other Fiats that are less bad but these will also get the catch tanks.

My dealer did flush the engine and change the oil at my request but the mayo was back within 2 weeks. Its worrying but not unusual. Follow the other guidance re leaks etc and I suspect you will be OK

Last edited:
Ive ordered some Selenia Abarth 10W50 Engine Oil. I suspect that when I got it the oil change was with whatever oil the garage used. And not what it needs.
I will do an oil change and check the breather pipe.

It's very good you got good news and the head gasket is in good condition.
You have to take into consideration that the water could have gotten inside by the oil itself. Maybe oil was contaminated, had water in it.
Its likely the inside of the camcover has loads of this
This is how you can do a proper cleaning of the engine:
You do it before an oil change. Take out of the engine under 1 litre of oil and top up the rest of oil with DIESEL. Turn the engine on and run it for a couple of minutes. The mix of oil and diesel cleans very good inside the engine and lubricates in the same time so no harm done. After that, proceed with oil and filter replacement.

Ive ordered some Selenia Abarth 10W50 Engine Oil. I suspect that when I got it the oil change was with whatever oil the garage used. And not what it needs.
I will do an oil change and check the breather pipe.

Is the 10W50 oil the standard recommanded oil for your engine?
I am thinking since last oil change that I should try 10W50 oil on my Punto 1.2 8V 2004. The standard is 10W40, that is what I used all the time, but having now over 225 000 km done withe the car I'm thinking a thicker oil might do good.
I am taking into consideration Motul 5100 10W-50 4T, it is cheaper than Selenia and it is made for motorcycles engines (4T) so I suspect it may be better.
What do you think?

Update-
Garage called and said
“ Hello Gary, the mechanic has called me. He’s done a block test on the head all ok. No signs of leaks anywhere.

I know I'm getting old and a bit out of touch with all the latest "stuff" which goes on with cars these days but, after a lifetime of "messing about" with cars and a wide variety of other internal combustion powered machines I'm really puzzled as to what a "Block Test" is? I've heard of, and done countless numbers of, pressure testing cooling systems. Is this a different way of doing this? if anyone knows I'd be delighted to be enlightened!

What about my question Jock. What do you think about using 10W50 oil on an used Punto engine?
Well Mike, I'm not a chemist which is what you need to be to give a really authoritative answer here, so I think all I can do is give you what has been my experience over the years? Thinking generally about engine oils I am of the opinion that a rough dividing line - as long as we are talking about "everyday" standard engines - is that if you have a direct injected and/or turbo charged engine lubricants become a "super critical" part of the equation. Turboed engines place unique and extreme demands on their oils and we seem now to be becoming aware that the oil formulation is playing a significant roll in carbon contamination of the inlet tract of direct injected engines, possibly more in normally aspirated than turboed as a turbo tends to "chase" the oil back up the valve stems whenever positive pressure is present in the inlet. Seat recommend a Castrol product for my little 3 cylinder 999cc direct injection turboed 95Hp Ibiza. It's awfully expensive so I looked up the exact Seat spec and then went to see if my favourite brand - Fuchs - did one that complied. They do and it's a worth while price saving! This may be of interest too:https://www.fuchs.com/uk/en/products/product-program/automotive-lubricants/choosing-the-correct-oil/. Purely by chance you can see they've used the oil I use in the Panda and Punto as their label illustrated on the right. You can see the Fiat oil spec quoted at the bottom of their list on that label.

Perhaps reflecting too that now a days with VVT camshaft control and "stuff" like the twin and multiair engines - so an awful lot of modern engines - there are small fine filters in the supply lines to their operating solenoids which can be easily blocked by quite small pieces of debris. Frequent oil changes are of great benefit to many modern engines because of this and DON'T EXCEED MANUFACTURERS RECOMMENDED INTERVALS and in any event, even with, and perhaps,especially with, low annual mileage vehicles, where things like emulsification and fuel dilution of oil due to cold running becomes quite a problem, never go over the 12 months with your oil change. In my opinion these extended interval oil changes are not to be entertained!

However we are not talking about turboed or DI engines here but fairly basic port injected normally aspirated jobbies. I just looked up what is recommended for the 1992 Panda Parade (Felicity) we had for over 15 years. The recommendation was for a 15W/40 to API SG spec (I don't have an ACEA spec and in those days I only knew about the American Petroleum Institute spec system). In fact I ran her on Comma X-Flow 15W/40: https://carsmart.shop/product/x-flo...&utm_source=adrac&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content= Which was my pal's budget range of oils at that time. It's only a basic mineral oil but the Panda's simple and unstressed engine thrived on it and was still running beautifully when she eventually succumbed to the dreaded tin worm. I also ran the one before on it which was a Panda 750 which was my daughter's first car. It too ran very well on it until the day it leaked all it's coolant away around Carlisle when she was attempting to drive to the south of England in it!

When we moved up to the 169 models I started using Comma X-Flow10W/40 (API SL - ACEA A3) https://carsmart.shop/product/x-flo...&utm_source=adrac&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content= until my friend had to close his factoring business because of ill health. The factor I took up with then was selling a range of oils I'd never heard of but I was already buying Quantum oils from TPS for the VAG vehicles. At around that time it was Castrol who were the supplier of the Quantum branded oils to TPS and I suddenly learned that they, Quantum, had changed supplier to Fuchs. I'd heard of Fuchs - a very big German oil manufacturer - so I thought "If that's good enough for VW group, it'll do for me". On investigating further I saw that Fiat were now recommending an oil with a lower cold pour point 5W as opposed to 10w, so I looked for their equivalent which turned out to be their Titan GT1 5W-40: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fuchs-Ti...i-BMW-VW-Mercedes-Porsche-Skoda-/132192978848 I've been using this in both our 8 valve 1.2 Panda and my boy's 8 valve VVT Punto for the last few years with no problems and the 5w cold rating seems to be good as I notice the valve clatter disappears very quickly when doing a cold start after not having been used for several days.

I'd be a bit wary of going under a 5w cold rated oil unless the manufacturer specifically specified it. I'm also a bit wary when manufacturers make big changes in oil spec, moving to "thinner" oils for older designs of engine still in use as I suspect it's often motivated by the ability to claim lower fuel consumption figures rather than ultimate engine life?

When, as you are here, thinking about the hot viscosity, which is where the 40 or 50 or whatever comes in, I think you need to think carefully about more than maybe the engine burning a little oil due to ring wear or because you are maybe trying to quieten a slightly knocking big end. The big problem with using a thicker than specified oil is that it, of course, is thicker - Doh! and the problem with this is that it's going to find it more difficult to get places. Now, if you've got a bit of ring wear then yes, this might be advantageous, but excess clearance on a big end isn't going to benefit really. The big, and rather obvious if you think about it, problem though is that everywhere else is going to be starved, to a greater or lesser degree. Don't forget a lot of engines use restrictors (put simply, small diameter jets in the supply drillings/pipes to certain parts of the engine) So the oil pump is going to find it more difficult to drag the oil up through the strainer mesh in the sump and then through all the small oilways to all the various parts of the engine. We know that by far the greatest time of wear in the engine is during those first few critical revs whilst there is little oil getting round the engine so why exacerbate this by using a thicker oil? (one of the reasons I was very happy to start using 5w in the newer cars) but, even when hot a thicker oil is not going to circulate so freely. Remember too that oil plays a much bigger roll in dispersing heat from components - especially the bottom of the piston crowns. Some engines, it's especially common in diesels, even have special spray jets which direct a constant stream of oil up the bottom of the piston for this very reason.

So, I think I'm saying, I would always use oil which had been produced to the manufacturer's spec - but, as you can see from the above, not necessarily the brand recommended by the manufacturer. Although I would use the manufacturer's recommended brand whilst still in warranty to avoid any arguments if a warranty claim came about. Consequently I think what I'm saying is that, in your situation I would be looking up my favourite Opie Oil Finder and going with one of their many recommended brands. If your engine has a definable problem, and many people prefer not to face this, or can't afford to face it, and I appreciate that - been there and got several T shirts - but you really need to fix the problem nott try to get round it by "fiddling" with lubricants. Oh, and by the way, if anyone is thinking about tipping a can of aftermarket "oil thickening gloop" into their old worn engine you would do well to reflect on what's just been said above.

As you can probably see I'm not a particular fan of additives in general - although they might have a part to play in a limited number of specific circumstance - However to bring a little more balance to the table, you might like to view the Oilem site:https://www.oilem.com/ - click on help articles top right of page - which seems to be a blog linked to the Power Enhancer people. There's a lot of good reading in it. "Bob is the Oil Guy": https://bobistheoilguy.com/ is another source of interesting reading if that is your "thing".

How'll that do? still awake Mike?

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
What about my question Jock. What do you think about using 10W50 oil on an used Punto engine?

Motorcycle oil is a compromise..:

It serves 3 engineering technologies..
Car oil serves just 1

Car oil 'cools and lubricates' an engine

M/C oil

Cools and lubricates

A multiplate clutch
A gearbox
an engine

Just picture the difference in consistency between your punto gear oil and engine oil

Using your earlier analogy :

Mix 50:50 and put the standard fill in your engine.. expecting an improvement ?

Back