Technical 17 inch winter tires.

Currently reading:
Technical 17 inch winter tires.

Winter tires have nothing to do with snow, and everything with low temperature.

Yep you’re right 7c or below. I’m now retired and won’t be using winter tyres, but when I was working, I did a lot of stop start driving early mornings and in the winter the wee streets I used to use never saw the sun or salt and the winter tyres did make a big difference. The slightest slope on summer tyres was just impossible. Now I’m a man of Leasure I don’t drive round these places now, so no winter tyres for me. The main roads in winter are well salted and clear.

Winter tires have nothing to do with snow, and everything with low temperature.

The 7 °C is just misleading, commercially oriented information. Some years ago car magazine Autoweek published results of a test showing that on roads without ice or snow summer tyres outperform winter tyres, even below 7 °C.

The 7 °C is just misleading, commercially oriented information. Some years ago car magazine Autoweek published results of a test showing that on roads without ice or snow summer tyres outperform winter tyres, even below 7 °C.

Regarding winter tyres as being discussed at the moment, I’m sure I’m not alone in thinking that winter tyres do indeed make a difference. Myself and others have experienced this for ourselves, regardless what some car magazine has published.

In some cases I would agree, but others have a different story. As I said before as a care worker, I was out and about early in the morning, most of my clients lived in wee back streets, which never saw the sun or gritters, slight inclines brought me to a halt, summer tyres were hopeless. Up here also we get sheet ice for more than four weeks of the year. FACT ;)

I’m sure I’m not alone in thinking that winter tyres do indeed make a difference. Myself and others have experienced this for ourselves, regardless what some car magazine has published.

Winter tyres do indeed make a huge difference when ice or snow is involved, but I referred to the myth that winter tyres already make a huge difference on clean roads as soon as the temperature drops below 7 °C. The only difference they make then, is more rapid wear and therefore higher costs. That is what the car magazine proved.

However, I do agree that if you need your car for your work, then buying winter tyres may be wise.

Put my car and my Wife’s car on to winter tyres every winter. Have been for about 12 years now.

I would agree that for a majority of the time here in the U.K. they make little difference, but when the weather does turn bad they make a real difference.

Learnt my lesson the hard way driving an X3 with summer tyres in the snow. 4 wheel drive made no difference when the car started sliding.

The added benefit on the 500 is that using winter tyres with steel wheels saves the alloys from been used when there is salt and a myriad of potholes on the roads. Her 10 year old alloys look the same as when they were new.

The other advantage is that your expensive summer tyres last twice as long because they only get used 1/2 of the year.

I currently have 17” Goodyear Ultragrip 8 tyres fitted to my car. They have plenty of grip and don’t seem any noisier than the summer tyres.

The big misconception about winter tires is that not only with Ice and Snow they make a big difference, also with low temperature they make a huge difference.
Winter tires have Silica in them, Silica Improves Winter Tire Grip, and Fuel Economy, Silica decreases rolling resistance.

Since silica counters the hardness that results from carbon black, a tread with silica tends to remain pliable, even when temperatures drop to freezing and below.

Back