General Water under car

Currently reading:
General Water under car

So the wife came home and immediately stated that the car was leaking. I was like " Great! " what now. On looking underneath with my phones camera with light on I can see a nozzle on the underside of the engine leaking into the suspension arm closest to the front driver side wheel.
Dabbed it and smelt and tasted it and its odourless and tasteless. I can only assume its from the air con and nothing to worry about.
Anyone confirm? IMG20200915205214.jpeg

My 500 1.2 aircon pipe drips all the time when I got my aircon running and seeing as it’s the automatic kind ..... it’s on most of the time! I try to turn it off when I’m 5 mins from home or I end up with a furry patch on my garage floor [emoji23]

Yes, that looks like the scuttle drain director. There's two of them.

It could be your scuttle is full of dead leaves/sea-weed/rodents etc. and the gunge has blocked the rubber director. They's slightly crimped at the bottom to direct the drippage away from the bulkhead.

If you stick your arm in behind the air box (the engine doesn't need to be running but makes this much more exciting.. :D ) you should be able to get hold of them - particularly the one on the driver's side.

You can pull it out, since it's bendy rubber, to clean it. Re-fitting it is slightly more awkward but not tooooo bad, depending how long/thin your arms are, since you just have to squeeze the flanged top, pop it through the hole and then release it, so it bounces back into shape, then finally just tug it downwards until it locates on the lip of the hole in the scuttle.

If the scuttle is full of gunk (you'll get a good view, as you're grappling with re-fitting the rubber) you maybe ought to think about taking the wipers and cover off to give it a thorough clean out before the wet season.

Ralf S.

I’ve just noticed my scuttle drain points ... one is missing & the other is split! Anyone know if you can get replacements? Or does it matter? They are there for a reason though!

I’ve just noticed my scuttle drain points ... one is missing & the other is split! Anyone know if you can get replacements? Or does it matter? They are there for a reason though!

The duckbills are there for a reason. They help preventing fumes coming back in to the interior, whilst enabling any water build up to disperse.

I keep a bamboo cane in the boot, where the spare wheel sits, to unblock them.

Last edited:
Back