Technical Tailgate rattle

Currently reading:
Technical Tailgate rattle

KGP

Hi all

I have seen some threads from some time ago that are similar, but no seeming resolution to my issue of a rattling tailgate

I have a 67 plate 595 and from collecting it a couple of weeks ago its had an intermittent, metallic sounding tailgate rattle/vibration, that can appear as soon as i drive off on any surface, or not at all.

I have tried to change the bump stop position, and padded around the area with foam tape, but still cant eradicate it.

The dealer looked at it yesterday, but of course when i took the technician out it didn’t rattle..

Opening and closing the boot seems to stop the noise when it is present...

Any advice?

Hi all

I have seen some threads from some time ago that are similar, but no seeming resolution to my issue of a rattling tailgate

I have a 67 plate 595 and from collecting it a couple of weeks ago its had an intermittent, metallic sounding tailgate rattle/vibration, that can appear as soon as i drive off on any surface, or not at all.

I have tried to change the bump stop position, and padded around the area with foam tape, but still cant eradicate it.

The dealer looked at it yesterday, but of course when i took the technician out it didn’t rattle..

Opening and closing the boot seems to stop the noise when it is present...

Any advice?

Short causing the tailgate solenoid to 'buzz'? I'd be checking the tailgate wiring in any case on a newly acquired car.

It's just a suggestion.

The tailgate wiring is a known problem area in the 500 hatch. Repeated opening and closing can cause cables to fray or even fracture, resulting in all manner of electrical problems.

If you find the rubber boot that carries the wiring from the car body into the hatch you should be able to pull it back and inspect the wiring where it enters the hatch. If you're handy with wiring and tools you may be able to replace any damaged wires you might find. You may have a warranty claim of course if the car came from a dealer.

Type "hatch wiring" into the search box above and you'll find many (many!) threads relating to the issue.

Reactions: KGP
The cars only 2 years old so unlikely any wiring issue?
Going to be a long job to trace the noise.

The irony is, i had a fiat 500 lounge in 2009 when the model first came out, and it had the same issue, though more intense. I am really quite irritated that i have it on this one, facelifted and only 18 months old!

It's just a suggestion.

The tailgate wiring is a known problem area in the 500 hatch. Repeated opening and closing can cause cables to fray or even fracture, resulting in all manner of electrical problems.

If you find the rubber boot that carries the wiring from the car body into the hatch you should be able to pull it back and inspect the wiring where it enters the hatch. If you're handy with wiring and tools you may be able to replace any damaged wires you might find. You may have a warranty claim of course if the car came from a dealer.

Type "hatch wiring" into the search box above and you'll find many (many!) threads relating to the issue.

Thank you, I’ll check it out!

On such a youn car, I'd look at the analogue before we go all digital.

Is the number plate held on by sticky or by screws. Does the end of the number plate rattle against the body (i.e. stick a piece of rag under the ends to see if the vibrations stop).

Do you have a screw loose? :D If the assembly line dropped a fastener into the hatch while they were building it, then it could be rattling inside the boot lid. See if you can "shake" the bootlid while it's open to see if you can identify something metallic moving around in there, like a nut.

Is there anything in the wheel well (loose nut) that can be running around when the car's moving? Lift up the carpet and take everything out, then put back just the things that should be there.

Finally, get some tyre shine stuff and do a Brut 33 (ask your dad). Coat the hatch seal rubbers and the rubber stops and see if that makes any difference.

Easiest way to check the handle solenoid is to take the fuse out, rather than starting to poke around looking for something broken where it really oughtn't be broken.

Ralf S.

I had an annoying, impossible to locate rattle once. Turned out to be a dud suspension damper. I'm not an expert but imagined the valve assembly internally was loose perhaps? Also check handbrake cables are secure and not whacking the suspension.

Back