Register Login
Mr FIAT - Your #1 source for vintage car parts

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1
Trader Rating: 0
bl4desman has donated!
United Kingdom 
Air Con Regassing

Hi, My air con is making a hissing noise and isn't blowing cold air. I've searched the forum and it sounds like it just needs regassing. Has anybody done this themselves? Before I buy the kit, I want to make sure I can see the low pressure pipe valve. Does anybody know where it is. The high pressure valve is easy to access behind the headlamp, but I need the valve from the larger low pressure pipe. My car is a 2009 Esseesse.

Thanks, Matthew

bl4desman is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2
United Kingdom 
Re: Air Con Regassing

The kit is more expensive than Halfords! - and they have a guarantee that if it doesn't work, you don't get charged.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3
It's always more involved
John202020 has donated!
United Kingdom 

Do not do it yourself, have it professionally 're gassed.
However if the condenser is hissing it's bust, and recharging it will be useless the expert will pressure test the system to check it before going through the 're charge process.

John202020 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4
bl4desman has donated!
United Kingdom 

I was reading this, which made sense. https://www.fiatforum.com/grande-pun...ing-sound.html The hissing is only there when the a/c is on. I can't hear it from outside the car. I'm off work in a couple of weeks, so I'll get it pressure tested then. Thanks for your advice

bl4desman is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5
United Kingdom 

The hissing noise is the aircon working but being low on gas, it’s what’s left of the gas coming through the expansion valve.

The fact that it is making this noise is a good indication the system is intact and working and you could gas this yourself.

The kits would suite your age of car, and you should get two refills out of one can, plus there is a surcharge on the can so you get it replaced cheaper if it’s needed again.

I did a video on how to do this yourself

It is a faff and I would still always recommend getting it done properly, unfortunately properly isn’t always convenient
Thanks Gina500 thanked for this post
Likes bl4desman liked this post

And now the owner of a shiny new PuntoHowTo Drivetribe
AndyRKett is online now Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #6
It's always more involved
John202020 has donated!
United Kingdom 

Quote Originally Posted by bl4desman View Post
Hi, My air con is making a hissing noise and isn't blowing cold air. I've searched the forum and it sounds like it just needs regassing. Has anybody done this themselves? Before I buy the kit, I want to make sure I can see the low pressure pipe valve. Does anybody know where it is. The high pressure valve is easy to access behind the headlamp, but I need the valve from the larger low pressure pipe. My car is a 2009 Esseesse.

Thanks, Matthew
Sorry I mistook the hissing sound as under the bonnet, yes it fizz's inside the car when compressing, the noise is louder sometimes when low on gas(or from the compressor), but it should still blow cool'ish air, however I still recommend professional re gassing, they will remove all the current contents, pressure test the system, evacuate the system, add oil and refrigerant in the correct amount, too much is as bad as too little and may lead to the system shutting down.
Don't forget to replace the cabin filter too?
Likes bl4desman liked this post