Register Login
Save up to 15% with Adrian Flux insurance!

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #16
Trader Rating: 0
chris3234 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Abarth Stolen

Quote Originally Posted by Goudrons View Post
I've read there are relocating kits and OBD2 locks that a lot of Fiesta ST owners fit as they are another favourite of the filthy scumbags.

None seem to turn up anywhere, god knows where they end up.

!"
Eastern Europe or Africa more then likely seems to be where a lot of stolen cars end up

chris3234 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 1 Week Ago   #17
Egypt 

I feel sorry for you, terrible feeling, are your neighbors have cctv cameras, you can ask and they might help even if the filthy thieve is covering his face maybe the police will reveal his identity

regarding the destination of the stolen cars as the people said Africa is one of the destinations I think, I used to see alot of used cars sold as 2 halves and they called it imported used spare parts , it entered the borders as spare parts not actual cars, I believe that's why they divide the cars and it's of course cheaper than the new spare parts either the aftermarket parts or the OEM parts but I always wondered are those cars actually stolen in their countries and imported with fake papers to seem legal or as the dealers here say "people abroad used to sell their old cars seeking new models or even after minor accidents or because the car reached high mileage" which is something suspicious and some people buy the 2 halves and weld them together to be used as a whole car but I believe that the law prohibits this, it just let them be used as spare parts

Last edited by Mando; 1 Week Ago at 14:29.
Mando is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 1 Week Ago   #18
Goudrons has donated!
United Kingdom 

Well I'd had my "validation interview" with the company that handle claims for my insurance company (Swiftcover)

Basically it was just a going over of everything I reported with a trip down Google maps to point out where it was parked in relation to where I live.
It's still parked there on Google maps images, that made my heart jump!

Had a three way with DVLA to confirm my driving license/history as well.

All seems good and they are now passing it back to Swiftcover to hopefully settle.

They did ask for my bank account details, as I paid up my premium in one go I don't owe them, so I can only live in hope.

Life without it is a bit odd, I swapped my other car recently as my diesel Berlingo was giving jip and wasn't ULEZ compliant. I chopped it in for a late Dacia Sandero Stepway 0.9 TCE Laureate.

Life didn't seem so bad when I didn't really have to use it that often, just Sundays dragging a bike trailer.
Now it's an everyday hack, it's obviously no Abarth!

Goudrons is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 1 Week Ago   #19
United Kingdom 

Africa has a lot of RHD countries (Ghana, Nigeria for instance) so it's an easy market to shift nicked UK cars in, if they have dodgy papers and/or the buyer turns a blind eye to any clues (such as a scraped off VIN number).

But I never saw many Abarths out in West Africa, unless the locals are getting "style" after a diet of Toyotas and Kias..

Abarths also have upgraded engines, which your average 500 boy racer, or an actual Abarth racer might "feel the need" for. The bumpers and oil coolers will find a second-hand market to keep shunted Abarth's on the road and the interior will end up in a 1.3 diesel "Sport".

The only solution to theft is to make the beast as hard to steal as possible. Your average tea-leaf will either drive it away, if they can start it, or tow it on the back of a truck. The latter means they don't have to overcome any immobilisors on your driveway; they can do it in their lockup.

You need to chain the beast to an anchor point embedded into the floor of your concrete driveway... just a) remember to unchain it before you drive off... and b) Imagine some low-life trying to tow your car while it's tied to the floor. The damage they do might be better to let them nick it, rather than you having the distress of seeing it and having to fix it with the 2.50 the insurance will offer.

Ralf S.
Likes jrkitching liked this post
Old 1 Week Ago   #20
Egypt 

I know it's late but you can save your other cars anti theft devices/tools (mechanical ones) are good cheap options without doing modifications to the electrical system, the pedals lock,the steering wheel lock,the wheels lock, if you can use all of these at the same time it will make it a hard target for the burglar, he won't try to open the car because it will take a long time, people traveling away will find this a great idea, 4 wheels locks for each wheel and 3 pedal locks for the 3 pedals in case it's a manual car which can lock the steering wheel too, and three dedicated steering wheel locks (the baseball bat), it will be great if the car has an alarm and the place have cctv cams and I hope you reclaim your Abarth

there's a great option too, people leaving their homes and travel alot might park their car at a relatives house, my late father used to park his car at his family house before traveling abroad, there they were maintaining,cleaning and watching over it

I hope you retrieve your car as fast as possible

Last edited by Mando; 1 Week Ago at 09:20.
Mando is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 1 Week Ago   #21
Goudrons has donated!
United Kingdom 

Quote Originally Posted by Mando View Post
I know it's late but you can save your other cars anti theft devices/tools (mechanical ones) are good cheap options without doing modifications to the electrical system, the pedals lock,the steering wheel lock,the wheels lock, if you can use all of these at the same time it will make it a hard target for the burglar, he won't try to open the car because it will take a long time, people traveling away will find this a great idea, 4 wheels locks for each wheel and 3 pedal locks for the 3 pedals in case it's a manual car which can lock the steering wheel too, and three dedicated steering wheel locks (the baseball bat), it will be great if the car has an alarm and the place have cctv cams and I hope you reclaim your Abarth

there's a great option too, people leaving their homes and travel alot might park their car at a relatives house, my late father used to park his car at his family house before traveling abroad, there they were maintaining,cleaning and watching over it

I hope you retrieve your car as fast as possible
There are a few things that need to be considered here in the UK.

First off, if the car it locked up tight and they are intent on stealing it, they think nothing of breaking into your house for the keys.
I am a bit relieved my car went missing as it did, my mrs and I talked about this and both agreed either of us would have coped if we'd been burgled while asleep in bed, it's not far from the worse scenario we could imagine.
Even the thought of being burgled while away fills us with dread, our home is our castle and no fecker is welcome uninvited!

I have in the past parked up at work while I was away, mainly for easy access to mainline train stations, but my insurance do ask me where I regularly park my car in the day and at night.
I can only imagine the hassle explaining why my car was parked elsewhere for such a length of time when I already stated it's usually outside my address on the proposal.

The claims handler did actually confirm where is was parked in relation to my home on Google Earth!
They also knew I left it unattended for a week as I couldn't tell them/police when it actually went missing, just between certain dates.

As everything seems to be proceeding well with the insurance I am starting to realise things could have been a lot worse.
Likes Mando liked this post

Last edited by Goudrons; 1 Week Ago at 13:04.
Goudrons is offline Reply With Quote Quote