Technical Driving me insane

Currently reading:
Technical Driving me insane

CloDaw97

Hi guys so I've got a abarth 500 2010, the whole car shakes from 48mph to 60 mph its got better since changing these things however its still there just not as severe, it doesn't do it below this speed or above however it is intermittent, one day it will shake at these speeds then the next it won't do it at all
Things changed:
Inner tie rod
Track rod ends
Drop link
Wishbone
Tyres
Balanced and tracked
wheels checked for buckles

I've had the car checked and whatever has gone cannot be seen from observations from the mechanic, all engine mounts are fine and so are the gearbox mounts and no play in driveshafts

ANY IDEAS BEFORE I go mental

You sure it's the front?
Front wheel bearing?
Engine mounts?
Engine mounts been checked, the backs have been checked and all fine

Never thought of the wheel bearing

If I take my foot of the accelerator it stops so wasn't sure about the bearing

Hi guys so I've got a abarth 500 2010, the whole car shakes from 48mph to 60 mph its got better since changing these things however its still there just not as severe, it doesn't do it below this speed or above however it is intermittent, one day it will shake at these speeds then the next it won't do it at all
Things changed:
Inner tie rod
Track rod ends
Drop link
Wishbone
Tyres
Balanced and tracked
wheels checked for buckles

I've had the car checked and whatever has gone cannot be seen from observations from the mechanic, all engine mounts are fine and so are the gearbox mounts and no play in driveshafts

ANY IDEAS BEFORE I go mental

I reckon it could be an inner driveshaft joint. Looks fine on the outside but might have had faulty hardening and have worn on the inside. Driveshaft then starts to ‘whip’ at a certain speed and load, generating the shake (usually a side-to-side shaking).

Hard to diagnose with car raised/suspension unloaded as that leaves the driveshaft at an angle and thus loaded/difficult to detect play. The only way to be certain is to strip both driveshafts, clean the inner joints, and compare one side against the other (it would be extremely unusual for both inner joints to have failed in the same way). Then replace or reassemble with new grease as applicable. This is just a suggestion; if you’re paying the labour, you might just elect to fit a pair of second-hand shafts.

-Alex

Last edited:
I reckon it could be an inner driveshaft joint. Looks fine on the outside but might have had faulty hardening and have worn on the inside. Driveshaft then starts to ‘whip’ at a certain speed and load, generating the shake (usually a side-to-side shaking).

Hard to diagnose with car raised/suspension unloaded as that leaves the driveshaft at an angle and thus loaded/difficult to detect play. The only way to be certain is to strip both driveshafts, clean the inner joints, and compare one side against the other (it would be extremely unusual for both inner joints to have failed in the same way). Then replace or reassemble with new grease as applicable. This is just a suggestion; if you’re paying the labour, you might just elect to fit a pair of second-hand shafts.

-Alex
That would make sense to why it didn't do it while on the ramps up in the air and it does it worse under load, thank you ever so much [emoji1360]

Back