Technical 5th gear unavailable

Currently reading:
Technical 5th gear unavailable

mino87

Hello guys,

I have a 2012 500C esseesse with MTA gearbox. Almost 80k on odo.
few months ago it started to get Neutral on highway and all that stuff that already happened to lot of ppl. I changed the clutch kit and the slave cylinder.
All went well after that then it started to give me gear unavailable when its on the 4th gear when trying to shift to 3rd. I wait a minute then all goes back to normal and after few days it stopped going in reverse.
Took her back and we changed the gearbox. All is great until it started to give me gear unavailable when the 5th gear reach 4000 RPM.
And until this day, this problem is not solved. Anyone experienced this?
Please help!!! I'm really tired of this. I've been having issues with my gearbox for over a year now I don't want to sell it at least sell it while everything is working!!

Thanks guys!!

Hello, welcome.

When you say you “changed the gearbox”, do you mean the mechanical part (casing/gears) or the actuator?

It sounds to me like the position sensors for the actuator aren’t corresponding with the mechanical gear selection. Have the people working on the gearbox been carrying out EOL (end-of-line) calibrations after removing the actuator? It seems like all the problems began after the original clutch replacement (which probably needed removal of the actuator). There should also be a fault code that has been stored when the “Gear unavailable” message appeared. If the people working on the car cannot help with this, then you will probably need to use MultiECUScan yourself to know what is going on. MultiECUScan can also run the calibration that I think you require.

-Alex

Last edited:
Hello,

Thanks a lot. That was pretty helpful from you.
The mecanic opened the case and changed the gears inside. He said he put the gears of the alfa 147 ( not sure if thats the model ) that fit perfectly and much cheaper.
So when the msg appears, i tried to downshift and it worked fine but then tried to shift to the 5th again and didnt let me.
Are you suggesting changing the actuator? or just the calibration would work?

Thank you :))

Hello,

Thanks a lot. That was pretty helpful from you.
The mecanic opened the case and changed the gears inside. He said he put the gears of the alfa 147 ( not sure if thats the model ) that fit perfectly and much cheaper.
So when the msg appears, i tried to downshift and it worked fine but then tried to shift to the 5th again and didnt let me.
Are you suggesting changing the actuator? or just the calibration would work?

Thank you :))

You’re welcome.

The Abarth’s gearbox is indeed similar to that used on the 147 and I can believe that the gears would fit, though I am surprised this was necessary - something must have gone badly wrong with the original gearbox.

My advice still stands in that you need to check for error codes and calibrate the gearbox. Perhaps a FIAT/Alfa dealer can help you with this if you don’t want to invest in the MultiECUScan software and ELM327 cable.

-Alex

Back