General Space Saver Wheel

Currently reading:
General Space Saver Wheel

PH111

Hi, I'm looking for an OEM space saver spare wheel for a 2018 Abarth 595. Does anyone have any links or exact measurements that would help me locate one? Many thanks

Pretty sure a 14" wheel will fit on the back of the Abarth but not the front. This is based on finding out that the Panda 4x4 has the same rear discs as my 2015 Abarth. I've yet to try it.

Spike

I've got a space saver in the boot of my 595. it fits over the rear brakes fine, but wont clear the fronts. Only way around if you get a puncture on a front wheel is to put the spacesaver on the rear and the good rear wheel you removed onto the front. not ideal or super convenient but better than waiting for a recovery truck or the useless goo they give you.

A standard fiat 500 spacever or mk2 punto one works fine.

Pretty sure a 14" wheel will fit on the back of the Abarth but not the front. This is based on finding out that the Panda 4x4 has the same rear discs as my 2015 Abarth. I've yet to try it.

Spike

You are correct, if the OP is anywhere near North Wales I’ve got one they could have for not very much.

Abarth's with the standard little brakes can use 15 inch at the front.
In case the space saver only fits at the rear , it would mean you have to do a double wheel change if you have a flat at the front.
First instal the space saver at the rear, and use the rear wheel at the front.
Don't know if 14 inch will fit at the rear.
The big Abarth Brembo brakes can only handle 17 inch at the front.

I have a 500 Esseesse so I'm not sure if your brakes will be the same as mine. I'm in Matlock, Derbyshire. If you're local to me than you can try my spare to see if it fits ok. I have a 125/80/15 space saver spare from a Fiat Marea. With a Alfa 145 jack and 5mm wheel spacer, some slightly longer wheel nuts, plus an extending wheel brace my kit is complete. I clear the front calipers to :) The wheel fits nicely in the wheel well and I have a carpet bag from Ebay to put the old compressor and gunk is. So I am equipped for 2 punctures :)

It is important to keep the rolling radius of the spare tyre as close to the normal road tyres you are using.

I hope this helps :)

In a similar vein, when i worked for an MG/Rover dealer and the ZS V6 came out this was case with them and it stated in the handbook to fit the spare to the rear if you had a flat on the front. The useful thing was that if you jacked up the front it raised the rear enough get that wheel off as well.

I was critisised on another forum for having a spare wheel that fitted the front of my car. He said that it was dangerous and space savers should always be on the back for handling reasons. But when you live in a rural area, the last thing you want on a dark country lane is to mess about swapping wheels. Best to put the space saver on the front and drive slowly to get to somewhere safe to swap wheels.

On My old Abarth 500 with 17in wheels, the space saver swapped from the traded in 500 Lounge would only fit on the rear. Even a normal 14in 500 wheel won't fit the front due to the big brakes.

I was critisised on another forum for having a spare wheel that fitted the front of my car. He said that it was dangerous and space savers should always be on the back for handling reasons. But when you live in a rural area, the last thing you want on a dark country lane is to mess about swapping wheels. Best to put the space saver on the front and drive slowly to get to somewhere safe to swap wheels.

In that case i would driving on slowly to a save place on the flat tire. ;)
No wheel or tire cost will prevent me to drive on to a save place before changing a wheel.

Back