Technical Strange noise when moving

Currently reading:
Technical Strange noise when moving

Spectre93

Hello all, time for a potentially stupid question.

I purchased a 17 plate 595 recently, and it’s started making a bit of an odd noise. Standard 145bhp engine, the car has done around 7700 miles and had a full service & inspection before purchase.

Whenever the car is moving it makes a distinct tick/slapping noise. I don’t have to be accelerating, I’ve rolled in neutral down my street (a hill, about 60 yards long) and it makes the noise. Only noticeable when the windows are down.

The best way I can describe it Like something slapping against the road, or the sound you get with a playing card stuck in a bicycle’s spokes. A rapid fth-fth-fth-fth-fth sound. From what I and a few passengers can tell, it seems to be coming from the left side of the car.

The frequency doesn’t seem to be related to speed. I’ve done a visual check and can’t see any obstructions or anything hanging down below the car. Control and ride quality are not effected, I can steer normally. Doesn’t happen when stationary, so I don’t think it’s an engine issue. Tyre pressure is fine.

Sorry for the wall of text, but hopefully someone will be able to work it out (even if it is a case of telling me ‘the car is fine, you’re paranoid’ :p)

Thank you, it seems that a stone was indeed causing the sound. Oddly nothing was on either of the left hand tyres, but there was one lodged in the front right. Sound seems to have now stopped.

Cheers!

Back