Technical 2018 Abarth - Main engine seal gone

Currently reading:
Technical 2018 Abarth - Main engine seal gone

750 miles on the clock, 3 months old... oil leak confirmed by Fiat

Engine main rear seal gone and leaked oil on the clutch as well. They are waiting for parts from Italy, the clutch will be replaced.

I am guessing this was probably an engine build issue where the seal got pinched.

Engine main rear seal gone and leaked oil on the clutch as well. They are waiting for parts from Italy, the clutch will be replaced.

I am guessing this was probably an engine build issue where the seal got pinched.

wow, unusual, so is that an 'engine out' job?

Condolences. Serious faults like this one on new cars are thankfully rare, but they do happen - I guess you've just been unlucky.

How long ago did you buy it? If it's less than 30 days ago, I'd give serious thought to exercising your statutory rights and rejecting the car outright.

Last edited:
That's quite a surprise given a low age and millage car

As long as it's covered by warranty it's fine not. A common think you hear of even in older cars

Yes I was surprised, I was thinking they will take the car in, tighten a nut or two and give me a call to say it's ready :( anyway they have given me a fantastic courtesy car.

wow, unusual, so is that an 'engine out' job?

I am not sure how they will do it... My concern is, will it behave in the same manner as a new one. The garage was very polite and said they have done this work before and are competent.

Condolences. Serious faults like this one on new cars are thankfully rare, but they do happen - I guess you've just been unlucky.

How long ago did you buy it? If it's less than 30 days ago, I'd give serious thought to exercising your statutory rights and rejecting the car outright.

Registered new at the end of Jan 2018, I picked it up end of March as the 2nd or 3rd owner (don't have the V5 yet). We met the salesman who specced this for someone, but that person could not accept it due to some personal issues, someone else bought it and part-exed it after 2 (two) days because he couldn't get a special golf buggy in there !! I saw it and snapped it up and here we are on FF.

Not sure how I stand with my statutory rights, but I am happy its under warranty.

It should be a bit faster with a non-oily clutch :)

To get too it the gearbox needs to come out.
Not sure if the engine needs dropping to get at the 'box, it's all pretty crammed in, so would presume it's probably the quickest way.

It's a bit sickening to think this happened so soon, but it's in the best place and you're not having to stick your hand in your pocket.
Where did you buy it?
Mine came from Glyn Hopkin, Romford.

As it's gone almost immediately and there aren't any other reports (yet), you'd have to think it was a fitting issue.

I guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend, checking mine ain't leaking.
Mine was registered end of Jan '18 as well.

Last edited:
Not sure how I stand with my statutory rights, but I am happy its under warranty.

If you have had the car for more than 30 days but less than six months, you have to give the selling dealer one attempt to fix the fault before moving to reject the vehicle. If the repair has not fixed the fault, you can reject the vehicle.

If you do, then the dealer can deduct a reasonable amount for the use you've had based on the time you've had it and the mileage you've covered; if you can't agree what is a reasonable amount, then a Court will have to decide.

As you've secured a good deal and are otherwise happy with your purchase, I can understand you not wanting to give it back (provided of course that they fix it properly).

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you for a speedy and satisfactory warranty repair.

To get too it the gearbox needs to come out.
Not sure if the engine needs dropping to get at the 'box, it's all pretty crammed in, so would presume it's probably the quickest way.

It's a bit sickening to think this happened so soon, but it's in the best place and you're not having to stick your hand in your pocket.
Where did you buy it?
Mine came from Glyn Hopkin, Romford.

As it's gone almost immediately and there aren't any other reports (yet), you'd have to think it was a fitting issue.

I guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend, checking mine ain't leaking.
Mine was registered end of Jan '18 as well.

It originated from Meridien Milon in Portsmouth. Old data on google says pinched gaskets, but as you say no other reports yet.

Hope yours is okay.

If you have had the car for more than 30 days but less than six months, you have to give the selling dealer one attempt to fix the fault before moving to reject the vehicle. If the repair has not fixed the fault, you can reject the vehicle.

If you do, then the dealer can deduct a reasonable amount for the use you've had based on the time you've had it and the mileage you've covered; if you can't agree what is a reasonable amount, then a Court will have to decide.

As you've secured a good deal and are otherwise happy with your purchase, I can understand you not wanting to give it back (provided of course that they fix it properly).

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you for a speedy and satisfactory warranty repair.

The service manager was very confident on the repair - its the major dealership in the London area where I got my first Fiat from.

Lets get it back and perhaps a trip towards Monaco late summer !!

Update

The first new seal the garage installed failed, they had to order another one from Italy, anyway 3.5 weeks later, they called on Friday and I picked the car on Saturday. It drives well, I will keep an eye on the driveway for oily presents !!

They will monitor the car over the next 3 years during services and also take it in for half an hour or so at an agreed date for a check over. I requested a free service to which they obliged.

If all is well over the years then let's just call it bad fitting seal from the factory.

Edit : the clutch was changed (perhaps just the clutch plates) along with some bolts as well.

Last edited:
749 + 9 miles by Fiat = 758 at pickup

2018-06-02 12.19.18.jpg

Back