General 695 Biposto

Currently reading:
General 695 Biposto

Bispoto

Ok so i am new to this Forum and i trying to complete my research into the 695 Bispoto with the hope of buying one.

Can anyone tell me how many were produced for the Uk?

Have they stopped production and where can i source one with a dog ring gear box?

Ok so i am new to this Forum and i trying to complete my research into the 695 Bispoto with the hope of buying one.

Have they stopped production and where can i source one with a dog ring gear box?

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Er, there's not really any tactful way to put this, but the car you're interested in is the 695 Biposto, not the 695 Bispoto.

Bispoto is a somewhat speedy transgender Dalmatian/Greyhound cross living in Chadwell Heath.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.

I believe it was only 133 vehicles.

This might be helpful. I suspect with those low numbers, you’ll be struggling to find cars for sale.

Attachments

• 2CB5F7BA-16C7-4712-8ACC-37EE7B7503BE.png
    2CB5F7BA-16C7-4712-8ACC-37EE7B7503BE.png
    192.1 KB · Views: 119
A secondhand 695 ordinary manual rather better value at around £22k compared to spec you're after. Found a stage 4 tuned Nissan GTR secondhand with 594bhp cheaper than the RRP of the car you're after. You'd have change to buy a 2011 Panda Mylife to go with it. But that's just me.

Folks I just wanted to thank you all for your responses; very informative particularly the explanation as to a dog ring gearbox and the spelling error. Dooh!

I am off to drive the one on the market and will let you know how I get on.

Folks I just wanted to thank you all for your responses

You're most welcome.

I am off to drive the one on the market and will let you know how I get on.

We'd look forward to hearing your comments on driving it; something few of us here will have the opportunity to do.

Have you any previous experience of driving anything with a crash gearbox? I'd have thought that skill was pretty much a lost art nowadays.

Just back from driving a 695 with a dog ring box; both on a track and to and from the track. In all honesty very difficult. Ok when driving hard, but off track it can be very crashy and worse still in traffic.

Car is amazing though and as much fun as my other toy, but in a better value for money way if that makes sense.

So I am sold on the car, but does anyone have an opinion on whether or not buying one with all the "packages", aside from the dog ring box, devalues it and makes it just another fast Abarth, or whether or not the rarity and appeal remains.

I repeat great car; if you can get your hands on one to try, please do.

Just back from driving a 695 with a dog ring box; both on a track and to and from the track. In all honesty very difficult. Ok when driving hard, but off track it can be very crashy and worse still in traffic.

Wow! I'll bet that was fun :D.

...and as much fun as my other toy...

Ooh do tell what it is.

Thanks for coming back to us.

It's a long way from my own expertise (I'm better able to talk about low cost motoring ;)), but I'd say this is a car that may, or may not, cost you a lot to keep - but will certainly cost you a fortune to use. Rarity (and desirability) make using any traditional depreciation model totally unrealistic; it's anyone's guess what future values will be; but I'd say that it'll need to be 100% A1 to make serious money. So if you keep it in a dehumidified garage, take it to the occasional trackday and get the majority of your ownership experience from polishing it and admiring it, then twenty years from now, with just a few thousand on the clock, it might be worth serious money. Otoh, use it regularly enough to put a few tens of thousands on the clock, and add the corresponding portion of wear, tear and occasional dings, and it will likely be worth a great deal less. Use it in anger and the repair bills will probably be as insane as the original cost.

Just keeping it locked away somewhere wouldn't do it for me, and if used as a daily driver, it'd be the stuff nightmares are made of. Somewhere in between that could lie some serious fun, for those with reasonably deep pockets.

Toys are meant to be played with, and they're meant to be bought with your 'fun' money. Providing you can afford it, spend the money and enjoy it to the full. Assume the money is gone forever; if you get anything back at the end, then it's a nice bonus.

I've also taken the liberty of editing the thread title to minimise further embarrasment ;).

Last edited:
Abarths are quite a rarity.
They are a bit too compromised for most tastes and I reckon a dog box will compromise it a little further again due to it being hard to live with everyday.

The initial high price of a Biposto will put more potential owners off, real performance chasers will stump up for pedigree performance cars like Porsche without much thought, but Abarth? That market, as the figures above by 306Maxi show, is very very small.

These days modern cars aren't designed to last (by that I mean both life and support/parts supply) so there'll be few modern cars that make it to classic, investment status.

A stock 180hp 595 in the right colour, with a few tasteful extras will give you nearly all the performance, but be a much better bet when it comes to living with it day to day and passing it on later.

If you fancy upping a 180's performance, there's no end of tried and tested parts that'll see it hit 230hp or more without ruining it or pushing it's cost way above what anyone would part with for it later on, most of these parts are available from Abarth themselves.

Not exactly comparison but found a 66 plate Abarth 145 in red with I believe standard 16' wheels. £11k. 45bhp down but could be a lot more fun than you'd think. Whether you could get Toyo 888 tyres which are allegedly the closest to racing slicks you can use on the road. I've had a Renaultsport Clio 182 and a Fiesta ST3. Wish I could have had more fun on public roads but it's overtaking that's the difference. Neither were really fast enough for that. The 695 may be. Your decision. :)

Not exactly comparison but found a 66 plate Abarth 145

If I may translate this for the lady members of the forum, that's like asking a girl looking at a Hermes handbag to make do with a Radley ;).

And if you thought the price of that Biposto exhaust tip was insane, check out this Hermes bagstrap.

Last edited:
Good afternoon folks.

Thank you for your various comments, it has really helped.

I do intend buying one, but I think I will stick to a normal 5 speed box. If nothing else there are more around and more akin to £23,000 rather than £38,000.

Why; because I will be doing 3-5k a year in it and obviously only part of that will be on the track.

I agree that cars are there to be used and enjoyed. There is little point buying a "toy" and then worrying about the money spent. If you can't afford it you are shouldn't buy it in the first place. Better to write it off in your own mind and if you do get anything at the end, then that is simply a bonus.

I will probably keep it 5 -10 years as I have my with my other toy and in which I do 4-5k a year. That is the overseas and summer car. The 695 will be my UK, spring and early winter car.

You asked what the other toy is; another "fiat", but this time with a prancing horse on the bonnet.

Thanks again for all your input. I will be in touch again as things develop.

Jesus, just thumbing through the latest issue of Evo and I looked in ‘The knowledge’ and noticed a 0-60 time of 5.9 seconds for the Biposto. Is it just me or is that not a bit glacial for a 30k 500 that weighs less than a 1000kg? My almost 20 year old Impreza turbo is quicker to 60... and about 30k cheaper! It does look horrid though.

Jesus, just thumbing through the latest issue of Evo and I looked in ‘The knowledge’ and noticed a 0-60 time of 5.9 seconds for the Biposto. Is it just me or is that not a bit glacial for a 30k 500 that weighs less than a 1000kg? My almost 20 year old Impreza turbo is quicker to 60... and about 30k cheaper! It does look horrid though.

Hi How are things with you. I dip into the Forum from time to time ars OH is still with the 500. I have moved from the Alfa to a Jag XE now for a change.

I think considering its a stripped out track racer, its kinda embarrassing that a similarly aged mini JCW costing about the same amount when new (but now considerable cheaper) can do 0-62 in 6 seconds with a back seat, radio, climate control and cruise control.
I can imagine that the JCW would go round a track blood fast as well, would certainly be comparable to the Biposto.

Back