Technical 17" winter tires, what are you all running.

Currently reading:
Technical 17" winter tires, what are you all running.

So far i can see is the only available decent tire in 205/40R17" is the : Pirelli Sottozero 3.

Pirelli-winter-Sottozero-3.jpg

Alternative could be a 215/40R17 tire, in that case you can choose the best: Continental ContiWinterContact TS860.

Continental-WinterContact-TS860.jpg

We run Michelin Crossclimate on 15 inch wheels. Very impressed in recent snow and especially non gritted icy roads round here in North Yorkshire .Bonus no need to swop winters to summers so good cost saving .

I use 15" wheels for my Winter tyres (Avons.. brilliant, in case anyone is wondering).

When it's dark it's easier to miss all the new pot-holes that appear and then dent the rim. My 17" rims are wider, the spokes are finer and the tyres are lower profile... so there's more prospect of an incident... and less prospect of the rim surviving it.

Conversely, my 15" rims are narrower, have a more beefy "spoke" arrangement and the tyre is higher profile.. so if I hit a pot-hole, or slide into a kerb, the tyre protects the rim more than the 17" tyre does... and the wheel itself is more robust and less likely to be damaged anyway.

Finally, there's no faffing about putting new rubber on the old wheels for just a few months.. just a wheel swap.

Ralf S.

Italian car= Italian tyres, so Pirelli is just a great choice.( I have them on my Alfa GT and our Alfa Giulietta, in summer 17" Pirelli P7, and in winter 16" Pirelli Sottozero on both cars..
Wouldn't consider any other brand at all..

Leave those Conti's for the Beemers and such...(n)

Last edited:
Italian car= Italian tyres
My previous 5 cars were Swedish, by your logic I should have run them on the bare wheels???

I've always ran some generation of Vredestein Quatrac all-seasons tyres (it has almost become a religion), including on my current Doblo.
But on my previous car I had to make an exception because the wheel-size and engine power required dedicated summer and winter tyres.
I had Vredestein (ofcourse) summer tyres, but the set of winter steelies I bought second hand came with good winter tyres so I kept those: 2 Michelin, 2 Continental.
I've had less than good experiences with summer tyres of both brands before I became a "Vredesteinist", but I have to say both pairs of winter tyres weren't too shabby at all, and I was actually impressed with the ice performance of the Continentals!

I've read and heard great things about those Michelin Crossclimate tyres as well, I might throw a set of those on the Doblo when my Quatrac 5's are worn (50k km already and still plenty of thread, might take a while).

20 miles west of London we only get significant snow every 5 years, so certainly not worth the faff of swapping wheels/tyres with the seasons. My wife's Suzuki is already fitted with Cross Climates, and benefiting from the lower noise and better ride. I'll get some fitted to my 500X before next winter. The test below, and others, show that for me, I wouldn't want the extra hassle of full winters for very little benefit.
[ame]https://youtu.be/YO0zyQh2l3M[/ame]

Italian car= Italian tyres, so Pirelli is just a great choice.( I have them on my Alfa GT and our Alfa Giulietta, in summer 17" Pirelli P7, and in winter 16" Pirelli Sottozero on both cars..
Wouldn't consider any other brand at all..

Leave those Conti's for the Beemers and such...(n)

Huh? What silly logic. Conti winter tyres are generally better than Pirelli tyres, I’ll stick with decent tyres rather than being stupidly nationalistic like you...

My previous 5 cars were Swedish, by your logic I should have run them on the bare wheels???

I've always ran some generation of Vredestein Quatrac all-seasons tyres (it has almost become a religion), including on my current Doblo.
But on my previous car I had to make an exception because the wheel-size and engine power required dedicated summer and winter tyres.
I had Vredestein (ofcourse) summer tyres, but the set of winter steelies I bought second hand came with good winter tyres so I kept those: 2 Michelin, 2 Continental.
I've had less than good experiences with summer tyres of both brands before I became a "Vredesteinist", but I have to say both pairs of winter tyres weren't too shabby at all, and I was actually impressed with the ice performance of the Continentals!

I've read and heard great things about those Michelin Crossclimate tyres as well, I might throw a set of those on the Doblo when my Quatrac 5's are worn (50k km already and still plenty of thread, might take a while).

www.gislaved.nl real Swedish tires, but since the owners of Volvo are Chinese, you could fit Ling Long tires as well...

eurofrost-6-product-picture-1-data.png

And Vredestein is a very good tyre indeed, almost all the Dutch use them......on their bicycles :D

Last edited:
Huh? What silly logic. Conti winter tyres are generally better than Pirelli tyres, I’ll stick with decent tyres rather than being stupidly nationalistic like you...

What type Continental, and what type Pirelli...??
Your general statement is as silly as mine...:confused:

Nationalistic....since when are Pirelli's made in Holland...:D

Last edited:
What type Continental, and what type Pirelli...??
Your general statement is as silly as mine...:confused:

Nationalistic....since when are Pirelli's made in Holland...:D

It doesn’t have to be your nationality.

Can’t remember what Pirellis my BMW takes, but the TS830Ps that I’ve fitted are generally better regarded.

www.gislaved.nl real Swedish tires, but since the owners of Volvo are Chinese, you could fit Ling Long tires as well...

And Vredestein is a very good tyre indeed, almost all the Dutch use them......on their bicycles :D
There used to be more than Volvo. My 2 Saabs and 1 of my 3 Volvo's were true Swedes, 1 Volvo had a crappy German engine and 1 was made under Ford ownership.
They all handled pretty well on Vredestein tyres though, so it makes sense Dutch people have them on their cheapest to run vehicles they use the most. ;)

Spoken like an examplary moderator...

I’d expect a moderator to respect other marques tbh. Sure BMWs might not be to everyone’s taste, but they can’t be as successful as they are without doing something right. There’s a reason BMW had 4 times the profit that FCA had in 2016.

I drive 105 miles a day, there isn’t a product in Fiat’s portfolio that’s going to carry me as quickly, safely and in as much comfort as my 320d touring does. Around town however I’d rather be in my 500.

Back