General Advice :-) 500 S vs 595

Currently reading:
General Advice :-) 500 S vs 595

It has been said that although not as quick, the 105 twin is as entertaining as an Abarth and easier to live with, cheaper too!
I have never driven an Abarth, but I'm impressed with our 105 Twin Air Lounge. It's comfy (but a bit noisy) and it sure picks up its skirts when you boot it in the mid-range. no doubt it's not as quick as the Abarth, but there are budgets and insurance to factor in as well as the harsher ride (probably) in the Abarth.

I have owned a twin air lounge and have now two abarths 595's (one a convertible). The difference in cost is not much perhaps a 1000 pounds a year if you include everything. But the difference is night and day, the twin air after a while just grates a little, I found first gear to be soo short it was a nuisance.

The abarth engine is just brilliant, smooth, great sound, really quick and capable of very decent economy - London to Liverpool I managed 48mpg at legal limit.

My only preference is the 16" wheels are much better suited to the car than the 17" and make the ride more cosseting. It feels less bouncy than my twin air - but the 595c has slightly too soft rear dampers.

I had a tuning box on my twin air and have one on the abarth - would recommend completely.

(also had a twin air mito - which made the engine / gearing issue worse.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments!

Tomorrow is the day! Very excited-although the car was supposed to have arrived on Mon/Tues but was not there yesterday at 15:30... I added the polymer protect/Supaguard equivalent so I’m not sure whether that will have been done prior to transport. Time is running out!

I was pretty surprised that my insurance premium is exactly the same as for the panda [emoji15] [emoji106]

Luckily my Mum is having the Panda too! My local dealers told me that the 500 was an ‘emotional car’ and I did have to correct them to include the Panda. I’ve really enjoyed it over the past three years [emoji26]

On the plus side, I’ve converted my other half to Fiats. He has previously been firmly in the Ford camp and had a BMW and an Audi amongst other things. He’s thinking of possibly acquiring one of the van models to have a fiddle with! My work here is done [emoji56][emoji56][emoji56]

If you see gar074 in his Panda Cross TA in yellow overtake him....;)

Bit of an unequal contest tbf, but challenge accepted!

Great choice, Kate - I hope you enjoy it. I loved the 595 Competiziones that I test-drove in Bury SE a few weeks ago, and am tempted to get one in the spring, when my Cross hits 3 years old. Which dealer did you buy yours from?

Last edited:
Yes varesecrazy I have it! gar074 I went to Desira in Bury. Our local dealer wound me up a bit [emoji12]

I was going to get some better pics but for now...

IMG_0684.JPG
IMG_0686.JPG

I’m thinking of changing the mirror covers and bumper inserts but I’ll see how I go!

So much fun to drive!!!!

Before I got my Clio friend who's had his 11 years used to give it a bootful and I'd get pinned in passenger side with the pick up. As I realised, at night you can pretty much overtake anything. I got waited for at a roundabout by a Fiesta. Didn't overtake over hatchings. Just waited and went past on the straight. Could have done err a lot in 2nd, stuck to 3rd and stuck to the 40 limit. Had a nice tussle with a Focus in Worcester once when visiting parents (they were on holiday). I think he backed off a bit ;)

Last edited:
Looks great!

I went to Desira in Bury. Our local dealer wound me up a bit [emoji12]

The sales guy in Bury (Geoff?) was terrific - took me on a fantastic test route, and did a first-rate job (straightforward, no artificially-contrived pressure, no bullsh*t). If I go for one of these, I reckon I'll go back to him for a deal.

Looks great!

The sales guy in Bury (Geoff?) was terrific - took me on a fantastic test route, and did a first-rate job (straightforward, no artificially-contrived pressure, no bullsh*t). If I go for one of these, I reckon I'll go back to him for a deal.

I saw James, he was brilliant! He listened to what I wanted and didn’t try to make me buy something else (as they were determined to try and do in Ipswich)! Brilliant service! I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend or buy another car from them!

Back