Technical Part name needed please

Currently reading:
Technical Part name needed please

anneymouse

Hi peeps. Newbie here who needs to speak with people who actually know what they are talking about, rather than the main stealers who sit around in suits and know bot all.

My Abarth door handle came off in my hand - piece of plop, I know. Anyways, being a tight wad, I read up online and discovered it's probably a pin thingy. I bought one, and it wasn't that. I bought a new handle, and although it was that, my son broke something else - a lock rod? It worked once, then popped out and didn't work again.

I booked into the stealers, and they have said it is a clip on the lock rod broken, and lo and behold, it can't be fixed today, they will have to wait until Monday to find out the part, and then book me in for the following week. Also, when my well meaning son tried to fix, he split a membrane - of course he did, who wouldn't?

Ultimately, I would like to get the part (Amazon prime would be cool) and take it to another garage (the stealers drove it off to another garage anyway) BUT, I don't know what part it is I am looking for.

My questions are a) does anyone know the clip, or whole part? and b) do I really need a new membrane? c) if I do, what will happen if I don't?!

Please help, as climbing in the passenger side and flinging the driver door open is not a good look on a middle aged lady with a fat backside.:devil:

Hello and welcome :wave:.

Don't be too hard on your son; it's easy to break the clip or damage the membrane when changing a door handle.

The membrane is just a water/vapour barrier - it can be repaired with duct tape or replaced with a piece of plastic sheeting cut to size. Folks in the trade often don't even bother & simply put the door card back.

Those clips break frequently; it's yet another one of those design weaknesses on the 500. Typecastboy sometimes has a few lying around the place; he'll likely be along shortly to tell you the cheapest way to source another one.

Last edited:
I have changed several doors and had to swap the locks and wiring looms over. The piece they are referring to is a small plastic clip that links the rod between the handle and the lock itself. I may even have one somewhere.

I did temporarily wrap some duck tape round one to hold it in place and it could have stayed their indefinitely. All it does is stop the metal rod falling off.

If you look at my video of changing a door you will see it.

Just refit the door plastic with duct tape. I do it all the time.

[ame]https://youtu.be/tDBJqdlM4XA[/ame]

Thank you so much for putting my mind at rest, and being so prompt in replies. I do think my son tried to put a tie wrap around it but it didn't work. Typecastboy, if I could buy that part off you, that would be wonderful!

Have a look at 3 minutes 25 seconds, you will see it.

I will have to try to find it. Do you need the rod as well. If I can find it I'll send it to you. No need for payment. Just about to go out. I'll have a look when I get back.

You are an amazing human! Thank you. I did see it :)

This is the part I have. I think it's the right one but may come off of the interior door handle. Same type of 90 degree metal hook.

Can anyone who has access to the parts catalogue confirm that both ends are the same?

Attachments

• clip.jpg
    clip.jpg
    827.1 KB · Views: 96
Back