Technical Automatic transmission new look

Currently reading:
Technical Automatic transmission new look

resigningyou

Hi guys,

Wondering if any of you tried replacing the old automatic transmission interior look to the new button style look?
If so, how did you do it?
Does it have to go through a professional/mechanic?

Cheers

Hi guys,

Wondering if any of you tried replacing the old automatic transmission interior look to the new button style look?
If so, how did you do it?
Does it have to go through a professional/mechanic

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160828-111926.jpg
    Screenshot_20160828-111926.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 131
Looking at those buttons ................

I drive the Community Bus quite regularly. It's a Fiat Duccato with the 6sp Dualogic 'box.

Living where we live, the hills and the corners and slopes are a bit difficult with Dualogic. The system gets confused! :eek:

We drivers often have it in "manual" selection as it's much more smooth and predictable. Having a bus-full of passengers needs a smooth drive as some of them are a bit elderly and infirm.

So, my question.
That piccy looks like you can only select 1st gear.
How do you swap to Manual to use the whole of the 'box?
Where is the gear selector lever?

Thanks,
Mick.

It's via the paddles on the wheel.
Thanks.
Why have 1st on a button then?
What's wrong with just the Auto/Manual button?

If our bus is driving along and you select Manual, it stays in the appropriate gear it had already selected automatically.

You can't change manually to an inappropriate gear, and if you slow down, it changes down automatically as you slow, but won't change up again automatically.

If you stop in Manual, it selects 1st automatically as you move off, so I can't see what the 1st button is for.

Perhaps I'm missing something?

Thanks,
Mick.

Thanks.
Why have 1st on a button then?
What's wrong with just the Auto/Manual button?

If our bus is driving along and you select Manual, it stays in the appropriate gear it had already selected automatically.

You can't change manually to an inappropriate gear, and if you slow down, it changes down automatically as you slow, but won't change up again automatically.

If you stop in Manual, it selects 1st automatically as you move off, so I can't see what the 1st button is for.

Perhaps I'm missing something?

Thanks,
Mick.

Hi Mick,

not sure what the 1st button is for tbh... but Ive seen some here in Edinburgh and also in Canada as well.
the ones in canada are like this
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-oNBBCFvoB...myU/aKuKvJZDpns/s1600/2016_Fiat_500e_Dash.jpg

http://hamza.com.my/index.php?r=site/carDetails&id=573

Paddle shifts are sequential. The 1st button allows the driver to find first gear in traffic without tapping away on the paddles.

Thanks, that sort of makes sense.

When I've been driving the Dualogic, if you stop, it automatically selects 1st gear, so I don't know why you would need a 1st button.

I wonder if the system locks it in 1st when you press the button?

Mick.

Thanks, that sort of makes sense.

When I've been driving the Dualogic, if you stop, it automatically selects 1st gear, so I don't know why you would need a 1st button.

I wonder if the system locks it in 1st when you press the button?

Mick.

But it won't automatically select 1st if you stop while in reverse, hence a '1st' button to get going forward again.

Yes, I see that, but you have a A/M button too, as well as the R button.

If you select reverse, and then stop, and then want to go forward, just press A/M and you'll be back in 1st to move off.

With the normal Dualogic, you move the lever to Reverse to go backwards. When you want to go forwards again, you move the lever to Auto and that selects 1st for you ............... or that's what we do on the Fiat Ducato minibus we drive.

Regards,
Mick.

Yes, I see that, but you have a A/M button too, as well as the R button.

If you select reverse, and then stop, and then want to go forward, just press A/M and you'll be back in 1st to move off.

With the normal Dualogic, you move the lever to Reverse to go backwards. When you want to go forwards again, you move the lever to Auto and that selects 1st for you ............... or that's what we do on the Fiat Ducato minibus we drive.

Regards,
Mick.

Pardon my ignorance Mick, but why would switching from auto to manual select 1st gear?

No, the other way round.

Say you are driving forwards normally, and come to a stop and then want to reverse. You select R and drive backwards.

Next, you want to go forwards again. You select A/M and that automatically puts you in forward gears ............. and 1st is the first one it selects.

Regards,
Mick.

No, the other way round.

Say you are driving forwards normally, and come to a stop and then want to reverse. You select R and drive backwards.

Next, you want to go forwards again. You select A/M and that automatically puts you in forward gears ............. and 1st is the first one it selects.

Regards,
Mick.

OK, got that. But will you be in auto or manual after that operation?

I think things have changed in that regard.

When the bus was new - a year or so ago - it's done close on 30,000miles now - when you selected reverse, then took it out of reverse to move forwards again, it went to Auto. Recently, it frequently goes into Manual.

The only Dualogic that I have driven is with the bus, but I do know that the gear lever is different in the 500.

With the Ducato, the gear stick has markings on the top but no "gates" to shift into. In a way, it's just a spring-loaded "paddle". It's only reverse that has any permanent position, as all the other selections it springs back to the central position.

Take it out of reverse and you have to see the dash readout to see if you're in Auto or Manual. As I said, it used to go to Auto when you took it out of reverse, but these days, it varies a bit but usually selects Manual. Maybe it's me being over familiar with it? Maybe if I just flipped it out of reverse, it would go back to Auto?

I'm driving it again on Wednesday this week, so I'll experiment. :)

Cheers,
Mick.

My mother had a panda Duologic. It worked well but the up / down lever direction always confused me. To me back for up makes more sense than back for down.

I guess its because I almost alway drive manuals where the straight shifts are always back for up. The dog leg shifts somehow don't count in my head.

I'm driving it again on Wednesday this week, so I'll experiment. :)
Just completed my duties with the Wednesday drive.

The gear knob sits centrally when driving normally.
Flip it the left, and it toggles between Manual and Automatic.
When stopped, you can select Neutral by moving the lever right and up.
Also, you can select Reverse by moving the lever right and down.

Also, depending in which you were in, you can be in Auto or Manual Neutral, or Auto or Manual Reverse. Next time you put the lever to the centre, it automatically goes to Auto or Manual depending on what you had it set to last.

Now, back to the original point ................
If in Reverse, you flick the the lever upwards and it automatically goes into 1st gear (Auto or Manual depending on what you wanted).

If in Neutral, it automatically goes into 1st. No need to select 1st. It always goes there. Even whilst driving in Manual, if you stop or go slow enough, 1st is always selected.

Therefore I still cannot for the life of me understand what the 1st button is for on the New Look.

Best wishes,
Mick.

Back