Technical Replace halogen headlights with HID

Currently reading:
Technical Replace halogen headlights with HID

My comment was not directed at you specifically but at anyone making such a modification. At no time have I stated or implied that you had made such a mdification yourself.

You quoted me and therefore by inference it is directed at me. It is easy to apologise for your accord if indeed it was misinterpreted by me.

I should also add Laser lights as now fitted to the new facelifted Audi R8 and BMW i8 are a whole new ball game.

You quoted me and therefore by inference it is directed at me. It is easy to apologise for your accord if indeed it was misinterpreted by me.

As I've said, my comments weren't specifically aimed at your good self; and I apologise to you if you've interpreted them in that way.

I should also add Laser lights as now fitted to the new facelifted Audi R8 and BMW i8 are a whole new ball game.

Indeed.

When it comes to finding ways to circumvent the spirit of the regulations whilst staying within the strict interpretation of the law, manufacturers are perhaps the most guilty of the lot - not least because they should know better. You need look no further than recent emissions scandals for evidence of this sort of behaviour.

And to return to topic, there are indeed many anomolies and inconsistencies between the construction and use regulations, homologation requirements, and current MOT testing rules. For example, in Northern Ireland, the MOT test specifically requires that washers and self levellers be both present and working on ALL cars fitted with HID's, even those that were officially homologated without them - IIRC there have been specific instances of such cars (some mitsi evo's and a few pre-2000 Renaults) being unable to pass an MOT in NI.

Debating these inconsistencies here is both interesting and welcomed. Deliberately trying to circumvent the spirit of the rules in a way that's likely to inconvenience other road users isn't (and for avoidance of doubt, this latter statement isn't directed at anyone in particular).

Last edited:
Davren - I have downloaded the eLEARN CD you uploaded. It has some of the information I'm after, but nothing for the Xenon/HID lighting wiring. Is there an older or a different version available?

I have downloaded the eLEARN CD you uploaded. It has some of the information I'm after, but nothing for the Xenon/HID lighting wiring. Is there an older or a different version available?

I've not looked at the 500 eLEARN, this is where it is in the Stilo eLEARN.

Electrical equipment - Electrical functions - E20 Interior lighting - E2011 Dipped headlamps (Xenon gas headlamps), or E2012 Main beam (Xenon gas headlamps).

Electrical equipment - Electrical functions - E30 Electrically activated devices - E3080 Headlamp alignment corrector (Xenon gas headlamps).

Last edited:
Davren
Thanks for the info, but... I don't have the Xenon option in mine, only the "normal" stuff.
The iso which was created from the download doesn't have a version number but I do have the following information : Title "Fiat 500 Nuova.iso" Date: 5 May 2010, Size: 509.4 Mb.

I have tried looking at each model - 1.2 8v, 1.3 Multijet, 1.4 16v - they all appear the same. The 1.4 TB gives nothing: "The engine and production validities selected do not correspond to valid documents, Restart the navigation from: Electrical equipment"

If I try to search for Xenon I get no matches...

Following your instructions
Electrical equipment > 1 ELECTRICAL FUNCTIONS > E20 EXTERIOR LIGHTING

Gives me the following options:
E2010 SIDE LIGHTS / NO. PLATE LIGHTS
E2011 DIPPED HEADLAMPS
E2012 MAIN BEAM HEADLAMPS
E2020 DIRECTION INDICATORS / HAZARD WARNING LIGHTS
E2021 BRAKE LIGHTS
E2022 REVERSING LIGHTS
E2030 FOG LIGHTS
E2031 REAR FOG LAMPS

Similarly if I look for the Alignment system I get the following options:
E3010 HORNS
E3020 WINDSCREEN WASH/WIPE
E3021 REAR WINDOW WASH/WIPE
E3030 DEFROSTING REARSCREEN AND REAR VIEW MIRRORS
E3032 DOOR MIRROR ADJUSTMENT
E3040 CENTRAL LOCKING
E3050 ELECTRIC FRONT WINDOWS
E3060 SUN ROOF
E3070 CIGAR LIGHTER / CURRENT SOCKET
E3080 HEADLAMP AGLINMENT CORRECTOR
E3090 PARKING SENSOR

The thing I really would find most useful is the pdf generate from this page:
Descriptions > 55 ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT > 5540 EXTERIOR LIGHTING

If it is easier to find in your version of eLEARN then I would really appreciate it if you could generate this.

Many (many) thanks

Davren - any chance of getting that data to me - I would like to fix the lights this weekend...

Thanks

Davren - thanks for the prompt response.

I have read your post again and seen that you were using the STILO eLEARN cd. Duh... sorry.....

I can find the data :)

Thanks!

Putting aside the legal side of things, I replace my(Dip) halogen headlamp bulbs in my Mazda that were "Dreadful/verging on dangerous" Sport variant cars have Hid mine isn't a sport so had peasant candles.
The result was truly amazing at total revelation very good light output, correct "bright spot", correct cut off, I bought a "quality" (Chinese made) kit from a UK supplier at 5x the standard Ebay price, if you want to try this route this is the kit for you;
http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/H1-HIDS4U-Stealth-55W-Xenon-HID-Conversion-Kit.html?bulb_search=car

Last edited:
You cannot put "aside the legal side of things". What you have done make your car illegal to use on UK roads, no if's, but's or maybe's.

There are also the laws of physics, The optical syatem of a light designed for a halogen filament lamp cannot give the correct pattern and intensity when used with a HID lamp. If the orginal design was poor with the correct lamps putting the wrong type of lamp in can't make it better. You are deluding yourself. You say "ery good light output, correct "bright spot", correct cut off," how do you know? have you got the correct photometric equipment to measure the performance of the lights?
It's not easy or cheap to design (design has got easier with computer ray tracing and CAD/CAM) and approve a car light. This s why kit and low production cars tend use lights off production vehicles. There were earlier comments about EU vehicles with HID/LED lights Some of these DON'T meet UK regulation (C&U & lighting) but are LEGAL because as members of the EU we have to accept cars homulgated under EU rules. It will interesting to see if this changes with brexit.

Robert G8RPI.

Back