Technical Weird split second knock on startups below Freezing.

Currently reading:
Technical Weird split second knock on startups below Freezing.

roumboss

So today I started my beloved little 500 Abarth up here in Canada, we are currently at a steady -6 degrees Celsius. I have a video to post, this is the exact noise right as I turn the key forward the noise is heard for a split second then it goes away, I just bought the car not even 2 weeks ago and I am baffled. It's a 2012 Fiat 500 Abarth. It has made some weird engine noise when it was -46 last Saturday but the noise has gone away since we have been experiencing warmer temperatures.

Please tell me it's nothing I don't want to have to bring it back to the dealer.

I've already had the rack and pinion changed under warranty.

check the video of the sound here
[ame]https://youtu.be/A5csSgznfjU[/ame]

Doesn't sound too concerning, if it otherwise runs ok, was that -46c? and is the car garaged overnight? and what temp range is the antifreeze, I would guess it's set up for your temp range already but may be worth checking?

At -46c the oil may require changing to a thinner type?

Last edited:
The car runs fantastic and the outside temp was -6 the -46 was refering to another noise i was hearing over the weekend. It was stupid cold up in montreal. The antifreeze is the stock stuff, the trans and engine oil were changed at the dealer on wednesday.

Doesn't sound too concerning, if it otherwise runs ok, was that -46c? and is the car garaged overnight? and what temp range is the antifreeze, I would guess it's set up for your temp range already but may be worth checking?

At -46c the oil may require changing to a thinner type?

I'd suspect it is a case of oil taking a few seconds longer to flow around,

( probably oil pressurised top-end on your vehicle)
so limited flow = BIG clearances..clackety clack..

roumboss , Do I take it that it normally lives in a covered / warmer area.. so doesn't need to be plugged in to Heat like a lot of vehicles in your region

In a climate as cold as that, I'd give serious consideration to using an 0W30 oil in winter. Fiat have a 'one size fits all' approach to factory specifications and sometimes it's better to think outside the box.

IIRC Mini give a range of oil specs depending on climate and severity of usage.

Last edited:
She is parked outside but like I was saying it was about -6 when it made the noise. I just had the oil done at the dealer and they said everything looked great. I have always run the specified oil by the dealer, I still have an extended warranty with Fiat Canada. I haven't had the chance to see if she has the oil heater plug, if she does that will getting plugged in asap.

It's not really the same thing, but I've found Castrol Magnatec means I no longer get tappet noise on start up, even if I leave my Jeep sitting for six months. I'd consider the switch if you're contemplating moving to a thinner oil.

Back