Technical Gunk / grease / oil out of shift boot

Currently reading:
Technical Gunk / grease / oil out of shift boot

steveoz

Hi Chaps,

Just wondering if anyone had experienced this on their Abarth?

I changed the pads on the wifes car today, and noticed what look like giant globs of grease all around the N/S C.v joint. I thought a
CV boot had gone, but it turns out after a clean up that the gunk has come from no 5 on the diagram in this link:

http://www.fiatonlineparts.com/a/Fi...1448/Gear-Shift-Cable-And-Bracket/i23102.html

It's the boot that covers the gear shift linkage from the car and attaches to the Damper weight at the back of the rod.

I had a feel around on it, it feels empty, not sure if it should have grease in or if it's oil and gunk being thrown out of that area by the gear box, either way it's coming out of that boot.

I wondered if it needed to be replaced and packed with grease or if it's a seal on that area of the gearbox where the selector rod goes in (under that boot).

Thanks,

Steve

I've borrowed a picture, you can see the boot attached in this piccy

gearbox1.jpg

gearbox3.jpg

And here is the best shot of it I could get from under the car:

IMG_20151129_153837269.jpg

Hi, i have the same problem, on 1.2 2010. I have recently changed the driveshaft on that side,due to the cv boot breaking and making a mess. I will give it a proper clean and see how it will behave. But judging by the way the oil on that small rubber piece looks (fresh oil) it has a different origin than the grease in the cv boot. Hope someone can tell us more about that rubber part. All the best.

Back