General Abarth 2014 (Oz) - Xenon Headlight - Too High

Currently reading:
General Abarth 2014 (Oz) - Xenon Headlight - Too High

adrians

Hi,

A quick question if someone can help.

I've just purchased a 2014 Abarth SS (secondhand) with the Xenon headlights option.

Are the headlight adjustable ? According the owners handbook the standard headlight can be adjusted via the controls on the dashboard.

My headlights appears to be set too high and shine in the eye of oncoming drivers. Nearly had a road rage incident last night.

Is there any manual adjustment to lower the beams ?

Thanks in advance

Adrian

If it has factory fitted HIDs (xenon) headlamps, they will be auto-levelling and there is no control in the car. The instructions about adjustment are for the standard headlamps. They should also have headlamp washers (levelling and washers are a legal requirment for HID headlamps). If they are poniting too high you will have to get a main dealer to look at them. It could be a fault in the levelling control, there are sensors connected to the suspension.

Robert G8RPI.

silly question, can you take a photo of the headlights? Are they the correct projector lens type or has someone chucked in a hid conversion kit? There should be a sensor in on one of the front wishbones which self levels the headlights, seeing whether this is present would be another good way of seeing if it was a factory option or aftermarket.

Yes
They look like factory projector headlights, similar to design and look as on my Holden (GM) Calais projector assembly.

The dealer was a bit vague when I enquired about the setup this morning.

headlight.jpeg

Park the car in front of a wall and then turn on the lights (with the engine running) and you should see the lights adjust up and then down. If they don't do this disconnect the battery for 10 seconds and then try it again.
I had this problem that they did not do the auto adjust and the old battery trick did the job and they have been OK since.

Thanks - I try the "old battery" trick, tomorrow morning.

They do the adjustment when you turn on the engine, it's just they aim themselves to high - 'possum hunting in the trees, - high"

Speaking to someone in the "know" today, he said I needed to check the sensor located on the left hand front control arm/suspension.

Last edited:
Battery trick won't work.

They need to be calibrated using examiner at a main dealer, or you may be able to do it yourself using www.multiECUscan.net software - I know I managed to do with with the Bi-xenon HID units on my Bravo using MES (y)

When you do it the car needs to be completely empty of ALL passengers and luggage, so boot etc will need emptying (y)

With the WiTech system (dealer diagnostic tool), the technician can recalibrate the AFLS (Adaptive Front Light System), and during this procedure manually adjust to to the correct height.

Solved the mystery of the Xenon Headlights pointing too high.

There is a bracket between the rear axle and the body of the car, the bracket attaches to a sensor - the input from the sensor works out the relative ride height and adjusts the Xenon headlights accordingly.

The bracket on my car was bent, therefore affecting the sensors reading.

The Fiat service centre straighten the bracket and all is good. I don't know if they also adjusted the setting with the software.

However the bracket can be bent again if I hit a serious pot hole ... so something I'll need to watch out for.

thanks for all the input.

Solved the mystery of the Xenon Headlights pointing too high.

There is a bracket between the rear axle and the body of the car, the bracket attaches to a sensor - the input from the sensor works out the relative ride height and adjusts the Xenon headlights accordingly.

The bracket on my car was bent, therefore affecting the sensors reading.

The Fiat service centre straighten the bracket and all is good. I don't know if they also adjusted the setting with the software.

However the bracket can be bent again if I hit a serious pot hole ... so something I'll need to watch out for.

thanks for all the input.

Did you see the bracket or did they just tell you this.

If like my Bravo then its a substantial bracket which doesn't just bend due to its design and location......

Back