General What Tyres?

Currently reading:
General What Tyres?

Just wondered if I could have some feedback on what sort of mileage you Abarth 500 owners are getting on a set of front tyres. I put my first set on at 17,000 miles. I can't remember what the original tyres were but I replaced them with Bridgestones. I'm barely going to make it to 11,000 miles on the Bridgestones and need to put a couple of new front tyres on before the winter.

I always drive with the sport button on but I don't wheel spin away from junctions or anything so I'm quite surprised at the poor mileage I've got from these tyres.

Any recommendations will be gratefully received.

Kez

I suppose it would depend on the compound of the tyres, softer compound = shorter life but better grip. A harder compound tyre = longer life but less grip.
Also check tracking and camber, if they are out of spec it can wear tyres faster than expected as can worn suspension parts.
I know you asked about tyre recommendations but a few simple checks may show up a reason that they have worn faster.

To find out how hard a tire's compound is, look at the cars treadwear rating on the sidewall. My new Toyo's are 400, which is quite high and you can feel the tires being quite hard but of course wearing very slow.

The Michelin Pilot Sport Exaltos I had previously had a treadwear rating of 280, were very grippy, but really didnt last too long. The tread was still fine but it started sliding around much more so I changed them.

Basically its a compromise to how much grip you want, and how long you want your tires to last = )

Most of the so called 'sport, high grip A rating tires' have a very soft compound. For the record, my Toyo's have B wet weather rating, and C fuel economy on the EU tire rating cheatsheet.

Has anyone tried Nexen tyres as they are really cheap,but have had some good reviews.I believe VAG now fit them on some cars from new.

I very much doubt they're fitted on anything new. Why are people with newish cars cutting corners on tyres?!?!?!?!?!

I very much doubt they're fitted on anything new. Why are people with newish cars cutting corners on tyres?!?!?!?!?!
well maxi i think nexen are no worse than kumho and hankook, which are their local korean competitors, as in south korea not north korea. As i said in my previous post, you need to look at the EU tire ratings and the sidewall threadwear ratings before making a decision on tires.

while i agree, some chinese and ex communist european tires such as sava are absolutely awful, there are a number of budget, good quality tires available on the market.
the Premium brands, in my opinion, are taking the **** with their prices. Michelin, Goodyear/Dunlop, Bridgestone and Continental are all quite overpriced.

Fyi, i have Toyo tires on my car and am very happy with them.

Last edited:
Nexen tyres are also being fitted to FIATs along with VAG cars from new.I remember my biking days when Bridgestone were rubbish.

Thankyou :) I still don't see why people would cheap out when relatively cheap tyres made by more recognised manufacturers like Uniroyal. You can get Uniroyal Rainsport 3's for less than 50 pounds in 16" fitment for the 500. Why bother with cheapy far eastern stuff?

Thankyou :) I still don't see why people would cheap out when relatively cheap tyres made by more recognised manufacturers like Uniroyal. You can get Uniroyal Rainsport 3's for less than 50 pounds in 16" fitment for the 500. Why bother with cheapy far eastern stuff?
i dont see how uniroyal would be any better than nexen. far east is an easy stereotype, Japanese make really good tires and the Koreans are like LG, cheap and functional.

I've heard this as well becoming OEM for some manufacturers clearly cost cutting.

My next set of tyres will be Michelin Cross Climate - a no compromise tyre by the sounds of it.

Uniroyal's are designed and made by Continental. They're always going to be better than Nexens.....
So Barum is owned by Contintental but its rubbish, and Sava by Goodyear/Dunlop but dont even get me started on those! Had those on a FWD Audi A3 122 hp was sliding from the get go!

We have Contis and Bridgestones on our cars but both are made in Poland along with many others I have seen.I do wonder if they come from the same factory and may not be as good as they used to be.There is so much "outsourcing" these days I dont think branded and dearest means best.You only have to look at clothes they are all made in the same sweatshops in Bangladesh.

I very much doubt there is any sharing of factories. Tyre companies aren't going to share their rubber compounds with each other!

the cross climate tyres are exactly the opposite, a compromise tyre!

How are they compromised? Watch the videos etc on them. They achieve the same benefits as summer tyres with little or no loss in grip, are as quiet and fuel efficient yet come into their own on snow and wet covered roads.

winter tyres will be better in the winter and summer tyres will be better in the summer. It's as simple as that. Are they better all round than summer or winter tyres? I would imagine so. But two sets of tyres will always be better

winter tyres will be better in the winter and summer tyres will be better in the summer. It's as simple as that. Are they better all round than summer or winter tyres? I would imagine so. But two sets of tyres will always be better

They are not winter tyres. Look the up they don't compromise between winter and summer. Considering we don't have that harsh a winter in the uk their is no need for full winter. Research on them read reviews and watch videos. I'm willing to try them, I'm running Michelin Primacy 3 at the moment and have been happy with them and the fact they lasted 20k miles on the front of a front driver

Back