General 2015 Fiat 500 Abarth automatic - Official

Currently reading:
General 2015 Fiat 500 Abarth automatic - Official

Stop trying to find offense in an inoffensive comment. Making a link between my gay friends and them driving an automatic is a coincidence, not sure how that can be perceived as homophobic?

its came across exactly how you meant it to no matter how you now try and back out of it now, FF has and all ways will be an inclusive forum in the real world you will find the mix of cars gay people drive to be exactly the same mix of cars straight people drive :eek:

as for the Official
PRESS RELEASE

it sucks 5 photos and none of the actual gearbox

Last edited:
Equally I think everyone who drives a manual is stupid and has no common sense - why muck about changing gear when a machine can for you.......

I know part of this is responding to a negative post, but in a car like an Abarth where you buy it to enjoy the ride (otherwise you wouldn't spend the extra over a 1.2) an automatic takes away part of the fun. To me a manual is part of being in full control on a back road.

When I grow out of the odd nutter moments where I enjoy holding on to a gear until the redline before block shifting to 5th or if my commute involved an hour sitting in traffic rather B road blasting I might consider it. Obviously personal choice on this but I'd miss it.

Oh dear. Always a great way of ruining a great car, give it Golf cart controls, nothing says "I've given up on life" more than driving an auto.

My OH has had 2 knee replacements on the same knee and unfortunately she still suffers, from time to time, with pain. So much so she cannot operate a clutch pedal without a lot of discomfort.

Maybe you should meet her and tell her she has given up on life. It would be good to see what condition you would be in after making that statement to her.:slayer:

I have a worsening scoliosis and a condition called EDS Hypermobility. It basically means that the collagen holding my joints together isn't there so my joints pop out quite frequently. It can be painful and does flare up. My old car was a 99 Clio and it was heavy going on my wrists and knees, so much so I couldn't drive far without pain (and helpfully the super strength painkillers I get render me to comatose to drive :( )

I considered an Autobox but when I drove the standard 1.2 lounge I realised how much things had moved on since my 99 Clio. Steering and clutch were much lighter and were comfortable enough that I felt at this stage (I'm 40) I'd stick with a manual rather than admit defeat and go to the auto.

Yes it bothers me that at some point I'm going to be relying on an Auto, I'm a bit of a petrol head, auto's don't feel like 'proper driving' to me and it will take some getting used to when that day comes and I will lose some of the fun. I've just had to say goodbye to my 82 TR7 Drophead (I cried) because I can't drive it anymore for the reasons above.

It's a different kind of driving I have to look forward to I guess, maybe an Abarth Auto would make it a lot more fun than it may otherwise have been, who knows. I don't see it as giving up on life, more as adapting to a different kind of life so I can still get the most out of it :D

Just to add, there are upsides to these conditions....

1. The further I stoop over with the scoliosis the more cash I find lying in the street ;)

2. The lack of collagen in my body slows down the ageing process slightly, which has the weird effect of making me and my 21 year old son look like brother and sister :D

3. Freaking people out by dislocating and relocating fingers is great fun.

Always looking for the positives :D

Anyway, back to the Abarth...

I don't see it as giving up on life, more as adapting to a different kind of life so I can still get the most out of it :D

I was due to change my A500 (Manual) in April this year and wanted to switch to an Auto Box so my OH had the flexibility of driving it along with her 500 Lounge with Dualaogic box.

However I found, on a test drive, the Abarth 595 Competizione with MTA box was not 'my cup of tea'. In Normal mode, too sluggish, but was fine in Sport mode.

After much deliberation and having done my homework beforehand, I opted for an Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1.4 Multi Air 170bhp with the TCT auto transmission.

Very pleased indeed. Also when we go out and I take my car, my OH is quite happy to drive home when I have had a drink!!(y):D

There is fun to be had with the auto boxes, Abarth in Sport Mode, and especially the Giulietta in Dynamic mode.

Last edited:
Ther is fun to be had with the auto boxes, Abarth in Sport Mode, and especially the Giulietta in Dynamic mode.

Thats good to know. I do miss the fun of driving a classic, the TR7 was a blast to drive and I miss that every sunny day we have, but practically it was uncomfortable for me.

When the time comes I shall test out a few autos and find something that is fun and not ordinary in any way. I don't intend to go out quietly hehe

Back