Technical Rear suspension knock, shock bushes

Currently reading:
Technical Rear suspension knock, shock bushes

Afternoon all,

We have had a couple of 500's now and there seems to be a shared design fault on the rear suspension bushes.
We have had a knocking and under investigation I once again found the top shock bush destroyed

10174894_782690621754538_4173375182014966781_n.jpg

10256479_782690641754536_1680915162665094006_n.jpg

Does any one else have this issue, I really dont want to spent £100 for each shock for the sake of a bush so does any one know if there is a polybush bit for them?

i had 6 shockers like this 3 weeks ago all pulled out like yours 2005/2006 PUNTOS
i too see it as a design flaw because the holding bolt cant swivel in the metal sleeve
ive kept my shockers with a view to reconditioning too with a new upper eyelet but work got in the way and i forgot to pursue the issue
earlier punto shockers had a solid bushing and it was rare for them to go

please i dont look in on this section normally if you find a fix would you let me know

thanks SB

Afternoon all,

We have had a couple of 500's now and there seems to be a shared design fault on the rear suspension bushes.
We have had a knocking and under investigation I once again found the top shock bush destroyed

10174894_782690621754538_4173375182014966781_n.jpg

10256479_782690641754536_1680915162665094006_n.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbuEpupKwXU

Does any one else have this issue, I really dont want to spent £100 for each shock for the sake of a bush so does any one know if there is a polybush bit for them?
How soon do you need it done? I live quite close to 1 or 2 places that do polybushes, if there is enough interest I could pop in and see what they could do.

We had aspirations of getting it on the road for the weekend but even if I wanted a new set of rear shocks I would be waiting a week now.

Be very careful any one looking for these on ebay as so far every one I have looked at actually is the incorrect part and is for the 1.4 sport.

Abarth dealers in stafford can get them for me but at £100+ each
or shop4parts can get the genuine set of shocks but from Europe and at £60 each.

I have measurements for the top eye if needed

If it were me I'd buy some Bilstein B14's. You'll never have the problem again and you'll have fantastic suspension.
Done exactly that maxi. Car feels amazing, in fact now my Michelins suddenly feel less grippy as I now push them more to the limits with the suspension. I think some new tires soon as anything but perfect condition on the tires and you lose grip fast! Proper hard though but after 1,000 km's they seem to get slightly softer and more settled. Now it feels normal to me, so god help me if I drive a standard fiat 500 again i'd probably crash first corner!

Yes, but they're only B4's and they have the same design of bushes as the standard Fiat dampers so they will go again and again and again :)

I'm not in to have an argument, but do you know anyone who has had some Bilstein B4's fitted that have subsequently failed through the same issues as the original factory spec ones? It's a serious question and if there is a link on this forum to someone who has had a failure with standard Bilstein B4's, then I'd be interested.

I was under the assumption that Bilstein built just about the best shocks in the business, so I'd be surprised if their manufacturing didn't take into account the apparent weaknesses in the factory spec ones? I've just fitted a brand new pair of standard Bilstein B4 front shocks to my non Fiat car and the Bilsteins are imvho far superior to the factory ones I removed.

Probably not everyones cup of tea, but I like watching stuff like this:

The Bilstein B4 for the 500 ( part no 19-184104) has a (smaller) solid top mount, so different from the original Fiat one - after six months on the car all is still good.

I think the B4 for the Panda is similar to the original, and may be prone to failure in the same way, as Maxi states

Wasn't aware of that :) Something good at least! I'd still go for the B14's if it was me. The fronts will need replacing at some point and the B14's make the 500 drive very very nicely.

I had exactly the same issue, worn bushes making a metallic clunk over bumps. Managed to get some 2nd hand shocks cheap as a replacement.

Fiat use very cheap parts which wear fast, shocks and strut mounts seem to fail all the time!

I had exactly the same issue, worn bushes making a metallic clunk over bumps. Managed to get some 2nd hand shocks cheap as a replacement.

Fiat use very cheap parts which wear fast, shocks and strut mounts seem to fail all the time!

Clearly it was your decision, but it surprises me that anyone would put second hand suspension components on their vehicle, especially when not only do you have to consider your own safety, but also that of the passengers you will undoubtedly carry in your vehicle at some point. I would be surprised if you know the history of the shocks you have put on your car and I'm assuming they come with no guarantee if they fail. Personally, I would never do it, it just doesn't make any sense. I'm guessing you were driven by cost, but to be honest, you can buy quality decent dampers for a reasonable price if you are prepared to shop around. I mean this sincerely, I hope your cheap second hand units are safe.

I HAVE used not-new parts before.., :eek:
BUT for the work involved of changing units,
I now use new-only.,

just not worth the hassle of something failing again in a year-or-so, :bang:
apart from added concerns over safety,
etc.

basic NEW units are less than £100,
why is this classed as expensive on a vehicle worth £6000 plus..:confused:

Charlie

Back