General 500 Abarth

Currently reading:
General 500 Abarth

Fiesta ST (new one) is 10x the car the Abarth is

306maxi is right (are we having a love in right now?)

If you had driven both and knew about the Abarth's reliability issues, high service costs and lack of decent dealers you wouldn't be asking the question.

The ST is simply brilliant and the Mountune version even more so.

306maxi is right (are we having a love in right now?)

If you had driven both and knew about the Abarth's reliability issues, high service costs and lack of decent dealers you wouldn't be asking the question.

The ST is simply brilliant and the Mountune version even more so.

Teehee :)

I simply don't get the point of owning a performance car that isn't the best that it could be at its price point.

Back when it was on sale, the 100hp was the best hot hatch you could get for under 10k. EVO gave it 4.5 stars out of 5, the same score the Fiesta ST gets the same (bear in mind it's relative) and the Abarth 500 SS gets 4.

As a thing to look at, a 500 or a 595 is a nicer thing to look at, but as a thing to drive, a Fiesta is going to kick the crap out of an Abarth each and every day of the week and thrice on Sundays.

If the video below doesn't make you at least want to drive a Fiesta ST then I just don't think you get performance cars :)

Really? I'm sure it drives better, is faster, more comfortable, cheaper to run and has more room. Trouble is it's still a Fiesta . You'd be hard put to turn around after parking it and think "yea that looks nice". It would be a sensible choice though.

I've had so many Fiats + a couple of Mito's, but If I'm honest they always feel like a bit of a compromise.

You could also argue that the boggo Fiesta is also better than the boggo Fiat 500.

Don't get me wrong, I much prefer the looks of a 500 to those of a Fester, BUT if someone is talking about a performance car then IMHO looks should come lower down in terms of importance.

The 100hp was FANTASTIC in terms of handling for the price, but the Abarth is based on the same chassis but with some better dampers now, it simply wouldn't compare to the Fiesta ST.

As I said, the Abarth is a lovely thing to get out of and take photos of as RUI seems to enjoy, hell Draigflag loved to get out of his car and take photos of it in various places.....but a Fiesta is more likely to be the car you never take a photo of because it's so much more involving to drive.

A stealth black ST does make me look back for a second glance and might even prompt me to take a photo.

It isn't as cute or characterful as the 500 but in my book the current Fiesta has always been the best looking car in its class.

Don't get me wrong, I much prefer the looks of a 500 to those of a Fester, BUT if someone is talking about a performance car then IMHO looks should come lower down in terms of importance.

The 100hp was FANTASTIC in terms of handling for the price, but the Abarth is based on the same chassis but with some better dampers now, it simply wouldn't compare to the Fiesta ST.

As I said, the Abarth is a lovely thing to get out of and take photos of as RUI seems to enjoy, hell Draigflag loved to get out of his car and take photos of it in various places.....but a Fiesta is more likely to be the car you never take a photo of because it's so much more involving to drive.

The 100Hp was fantastic for what it was and I had great fun with mine and should have kept it longer. I'd say it a little more feel than the Abarth through the steering and what the tyres were doing. The bangs from the Monza exhaust on the Abarth are strangely very satisfying though. In 595 form the Abarth is pretty quick and has the looks. Sure you wouldn't buy it if you were just after out and out performance, but then many speed limits are getting reduced and the state of the roads ever more ****ty.

The 100Hp was fantastic for what it was and I had great fun with mine and should have kept it longer. I'd say it a little more feel than the Abarth through the steering and what the tyres were doing. The bangs from the Monza exhaust on the Abarth are strangely very satisfying though. In 595 form the Abarth is pretty quick and has the looks. Sure you wouldn't buy it if you were just after out and out performance, but then many speed limits are getting reduced and the state of the roads ever more ****ty.
The roads around me are quite fantastic and I've never encountered the Police whilst I've been having fun :)

Why do all Brits choose to live in places where it's supposedly overcrowded and the roads are crap? Come and live in North Wales or up in Scotland, sod all people around and the roads are fantastic :)

Speaking of Draigflag. The Abarth was up for sale on Ebay as a non runner. I knew all that sand and salt water was not one of his better ideas.

I'm sure whatever it was it wasn't his fault?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fiat-500-Abarth-Launch-Edition-/231147564882?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item35d177ef52

Seems to be selling under his dads ebay account.

usual ebay plonker advert, who in their right mind wouldn't chuck a 200 quid alternator on a car worth that much so as to sell it? The sort of plonker who is trying to hide things probably......

The car has far less stone chips than an average car of it's age, I recently had the front bumper, rear bumper and side skirts professionally re-sprayed
because you drove on the beach, on gravel and generally like a plonker.

Anyone wanting to buy YT09OGD would do well to well to check out Paul's youtube account -> http://www.youtube.com/user/D41H4T5U and check out his posts -> https://www.fiatforum.com/search.php?searchid=7530860 and you'll see from the attitude he has and the way he drives the car that it might not be the best cared for example out there :)

I do hope someone googles and finds this thread :)

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
I've just had a fuelly message from Paul! :)

I do hope he tells anyone bidding on his car that he loves it so much that it's been driven at speed through water as per his youtube videos and that the gearbox has been leaking oil for the last 50k miles :) Can't think why the alternator has seized and cracked and how the exhaust gasket might have gone!!!!

http://forum.thescorpionclub.co.uk/showthread.php?979-Gearbox-Transmission-oil&p=12492#post12492

Paul, everyone is entitled to their opinion. All said and done if anything happens to my car, my wife, my dog or the ozone layer, then your actions will be reported to the Police :)

Attachments

• paul.PNG
    paul.PNG
    22.9 KB · Views: 75
The roads around me are quite fantastic and I've never encountered the Police whilst I've been having fun :)

Why do all Brits choose to live in places where it's supposedly overcrowded and the roads are crap? Come and live in North Wales or up in Scotland, sod all people around and the roads are fantastic :)

Up apple cross is just amazing to drive

Back