Styling Carbon fibre mirrors

Currently reading:
Styling Carbon fibre mirrors

Littlewheels

Carbon Fibre Mirrors/Caps/Covers.
Anyone had experience of where to buy,quality of item,ease of fitting etc.
Thanks.

Carbon Fibre Mirrors/Caps/Covers.
Anyone had experience of where to buy,quality of item,ease of fitting etc.
Thanks.
Hi Littlewheels, welcome to the forum. I think that RUI will be the best person to answer your questions so hopefully he will get this tag and get back to you soon. However, there are lots of other guys with great knowledge on here so I'm sure that you get your answers soon.

TMC Motor Sport do an Abarth set which should be good for the 500 but are pricey at £199 + VAT.

Found this on a search:

http://www.actproducts.co.uk/shop/cff15-pr-fiat-500-carbon-wing-mirror-covers-p-568.html

Replacing the covers is a relatively easy job however it takes patience and a little time.

Flat bladed screwdriver with tip covered with soft cloth or other material. You can gently prise the wing mirror glass out of the casing. Put something soft/padded on the floor in case you drop the mirror. Be careful of the 2 wires attached to the mirror. You can disconnect these and replace before re fitting the glass. You could just let the mirror hang but I prefer the disconnection route.

Looking inside the housing you will see a number of lugs entering the housing, possibly 4 but can't accurately recall. These are from the mirror cap and need teasing gently to undo. Be careful as they can snap off, rendering the original mirror cap useless were you wanting to use again or even sell on.

When the lugs are released the mirror cap just lifts off.

Once removed it is just a matter of clicking the new cover in place and refitting the mirror with wiring attached.

I have done this operation on 2 x 500's without an issue.

According to their eBay site these have to be stuck on using mastic or silicone as they have no clips eBay item no 180883165948
Not sure about these now :confused:

I would assume they are manufactured to fit the Fiat 500 template but are not a genuine Fiat part

There are 4 different types of carbon mirrors for the 500, I have had experience with 3 of them.

1. The genuine Abarth 695 ones that cost £600ish, they are amazing quality and inside of the mirror they are exactly the same as the standard mirrors that you have one now.

2. Good quality aftermarket covers that look exactly the same from the outside and have a good thickness. They have a thread glued inside so you fix them by bolting them on. The quality is OK but not as good as the genuine item. They cost around £250

3. The £70 cheap version. This is very thin and had no fixings it is just the outer shell. You need to fix them with a glue. These are a pain to get looking right if you ever can.

4. The ebay ones that go over the covers that you have on now, I have not used or seen these apart from ebay. One thing to remember is that you may well end up paying and extra 20% VAT as they are coming from outside the EU.

I have the good quality aftermarket ones on my 595 now, I did have the genuine ones but got them for an amazing price and sold them for 5 times what I paid. I also had the cheap versions but they were never perfect. Unless you are very happy doing stuff to your car and are happy to take your time I would definitely not recommend these.

TMC buy their mirrors from a company in Italy called youtune IT, you may be able to get them cheaper direct.

Here are my covers on my 595
12000313856_1b3c69ae18_b.jpg

Thanks everyone for the input and Toeknee1 for the pics,I have ordered a set on eBay from your link.

Any tips on fitting which silicone! Stikoflex? Etc.

When I eventually get this car sorted I'll post pics but currently away from UK untill June but gathering all the upgrades I require.

Back