General Fiat 500 Abarth for 2014? Possible changes / facelift?

Currently reading:
General Fiat 500 Abarth for 2014? Possible changes / facelift?

kkp0897

Greetings everybody,

Longtime lurker, seldom poster.

We're looking to buy a new 500 Abarth 'tintop'. Fortunately an auto tintop is now available so there's not much stopping us from buying one. Although we're now wondering if there's likely to be a facelift or any other subtle changes that we would wait for before making a purchase, for example rear LEDs / Front led DRLs strips etc.

Currently my wife has a very well equipped Peugeot 207 GT HDi which is great. Nothing wrong with it besides its age. We may also wait for the 2014 Peugeot 108 although no dates/spec has been announced.

Any purchase would be a 01-MAR-2014 registered car.

Thanks for all your help and feedback. Apologies in advance if I've said anything wrong.

KKP

I wouldn't say it will be long though - a new mini is on the way which should prompt other manufacturers to keep up. Having said that it won't be today or tomorrow.

I wouldn't say it will be long though - a new mini is on the way which should prompt other manufacturers to keep up.

Why? BMW don't own the market, and although similar sized cars IMO the Mini and 500 still have completely different clientele.

I also doubt they're going to start slapping LEDs here there and everywhere kkp0897, there is just no need. The 500L and XL haven't got LEDs plastered all over them and they're new models out ;)

Thanks everybody. I may have used my examples frivolously. Maybe I'll rephrase and say it would be disappointing to know that we've just taken delivery of a model when we could've waited a finite period of time for an upgraded/face-lift model since we have the opportunity to wait for the right one.

Why? BMW don't own the market, and although similar sized cars IMO the Mini and 500 still have completely different clientele.

I also doubt they're going to start slapping LEDs here there and everywhere kkp0897, there is just no need. The 500L and XL haven't got LEDs plastered all over them and they're new models out ;)

True, the mini is probably considered a more premium car but if they revise it then the gap is even wider. People are attracted to the retro vibe of both cars and potential buyers will often consider both cars before deciding. IMHO of course!!

Thanks everybody. I may have used my examples frivolously. Maybe I'll rephrase and say it would be disappointing to know that we've just taken delivery of a model when we could've waited a finite period of time for an upgraded/face-lift model since we have the opportunity to wait for the right one.

Upgrades and facelifts come at a premium normally though, and if it's only a face lift, then it may not be for the better ;)

Upgrades and facelifts come at a premium normally though, and if it's only a face lift, then it may not be for the better ;)

Totally agree, facelifts are often a departure from the original 'design language' and not an improvement at all.
I would however like to see multi air engines, glovebox, carpeted rear seat back, all the things they get in the USA really. It would also be nice to have nicer plastics too.
I still think that they should do a 'junior/classic' Abarth with Twinair engine too.

Last edited:
I thought you already have one?:D

Lol, well yes, I have kinda tried to create a version like that myself.
Maybe one day I'll get the 100bhp remap and put badges and an Abarth stripe on. I think a lot on here would not approve : P

Yes it is funny that a 2008 Fiat 500 looks exactly the same on the outside as a 2013 Fiat 500 = )

That's 5 years now!

I do fancy, however, the new aerial and the new interior leather seats. Other than that it seems nothing changed from 2010 when I bought mine, and I find the 500 S really ugly, fake rear diffuser and a stupidly big front bumper look ridiculous in my opinion (on the abarth at least you have the whole body kit not 'half a body kit'.)

But then there is nothing to change that much really. Let's keep this forum updated to see if anything will change. The best I hear is a 105 TA model to finally replace the 1.4, but that's no change on the outside.

If I had to buy another Fiat 500 right now I would most likely get the Diesel (diesel in Greece is about 25% cheaper than petrol at the pump) and I always floor my car so I am sure the DPF will be kept well clean = )

Last edited:
Yes it is funny that a 2008 Fiat 500 looks exactly the same on the outside as a 2013 Fiat 500 = )

That's 5 years now!

It would be difficult to refresh the exterior of the current 500 as being a retro styled car, it was deliberately designed to look 'dated'. Any real changes are likely to be new colours, interior options (I'd like to see the leather seats back as a single solid colour without the tacky two tone white or black tops) and possibly drivetrain improvements.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it is funny that a 2008 Fiat 500 looks exactly the same on the outside as a 2013 Fiat 500 = ) .

That's 5 years now!

It would be difficult to refresh the exterior of the current 500 as being a retro styled car, it was deliberately designed to look 'dated'. Any real changes are likely to be new colours, interior options (I'd like to see the leather seats back as a single solid colour without the tacky two tone white or black tops) and possibly drivetrain improvements.

They could start using some of the nicer US parts such as the darker headlights in the link below. They could certainly do with some new colours. Have some different wheel options that are not the same old diamond cut ones that have been around since day one. I keep looking at Abarths thinking should I buy one, but keep thinking sooner or later they've got to do something more with it. It needs refreshing.
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/06/19/fiat-500-cattiva-on-the-way/

Last edited by a moderator:
Also I think Euro car makers should stop being so stingy and start putting Xenon lights by default as the Japanese seem to be doing.
From what I see the Fiat 500 lounge and Abarth models in the USA have xenon by default.

Also I think Euro car makers should stop being so stingy and start putting Xenon lights by default as the Japanese seem to be doing.
From what I see the Fiat 500 lounge and Abarth models in the USA have xenon by default.

They had better include the auto dipping mirror as standard then too!!!

Most of the Toyota and Suzuki Range don't have them fitted as standard though (assuming you're on about HID Xenon's).

The one thing thats stopped me looking at the new Yaris Hybrid :(

Hello,

Forgot to mention some other candidates:

Renault Twingo RS (if a new one becomes available in 2014)
Facelift 2014 Vauxhall Corsa

Thanks for all the comments. There seems to be a divide in sentiment towards a facelift or not. I am more often than not pro facelift rather than against

Back