General My new 595 Competizione

Currently reading:
General My new 595 Competizione

Love the metallic grey! That's exactly the colour I wanted for my TwinAir but alas, no stock :(

I have just had an insurance quote.... £199 fully comp.
Being 41 with 8 years NCB and retired has it's benefits.

I have just had an insurance quote.... £199 fully comp.
Being 41 with 8 years NCB and retired has it's benefits.

41 and retired..! Now I'm jealous of the car and you ; )

I picked it up a few hours ago, I did the 100 mile drive back and the car is amazing. The ride is great when driving normally but when it gets twisty it feels so different to my 500. The seats should have been fitted to all abarths as standard they are just so nice to sit in and look at.
My average MPG going to the dealer in my 500 was 55, on the way back in the 595 it was 23! but I was driving a LOT faster. I will get some photos of it later.

An update after driving a couple of hundred miles in it.

Things that really stand out
Suspension/handling is very very good. I have driven some very nice performance cars over the years and although this car may not have the power of other cars it feels just right and give a lot of confidence in the corners.

Engine. The 160 bhp engine gives great power delivery with no noticeable turbo lag. It puts the power down nicely and and makes it a breeze to drive slowly or flat out.

Seats The seats are amazing to look at and feel good even after driving for 2 hours. They make you feel like you are sitting in the car rather than the standard 500 seat where it always felt like you were sitting on top of the car. The sabelts don't have height adjustment ( i'm 6 ft 1 and they are fine) or side airbags but who need that anyway? (unless you are in a crash).

Lights. The standard lights on the 500 remind me of the 1963 6volt VW beetle I once owned, even with a bulb upgrade they are below average at best but the xenon HID or whatever they are called are great and then when you hit full beam the HID bulb goes full beam and you also get the standard full beams on.
I was driving past peoples houses last night and the lights are so bright people were getting up thinking it was the morning...

Auto dim rear view mirror. I have had lots of cars with this but my last 500 did not have it and I had forgotten how handy it can be.

Exhaust. The monza exhaust is great fun, it makes a sound like no 4 cylinder car should make. On tick over or driving under 4000 rpm the car has a nice deep sound. on the motorway the noise is hardly noticeable UNTIL you hit 4000 RPM then the thing is like a 1960's Ferrari it just screams and when you let off the gas it pops and crackles. You can be doing 100mph on the motorway in 5th gear and still be under 4000 rpm.
I am sure that exhaust is going to cost me hundreds of £ over the next couple of years in wasted fuel by keeping the car is a lower gear just for the sound.

Now for the things I don't like.

The stereo is crap, the interscope was never amazing but without it it's rubbish. I am going to a incar hifi place tomorrow to have a chat and to see what they can do.

Best version of the 500 in my opinion.
Those FSD's give quite a nice ride for such a firm feeling car don't they?
Love those Sabelt seats. Especially the tobacco leather contrast.

<snip> My average MPG going to the dealer in my 500 was 55, on the way back in the 595 it was 23! but I was driving a LOT faster. I will get some photos of it later. <snip>

Just got back from holiday and was very pleasantly surprised when I checked my Trip B data. I went to Gatwick, the pretty way via south coast and stopped for lunch in Arundel before parking up at Gatwick. Got back Sunday evening and decided to go home via M23 & M25 as I thought it would be quicker .... Wrong!

Massive tailbacks all the way to the M3 but still achieved 46.8MPG overall. :eek:

The car has now covered 3600 miles and it would appear to be loosening up very nicely. (y)

I dealt with Wes at Bentovers. He was very accommodating.....

Ian (RUI) and I both dealt with Ben at Westovers, he and Chris are really nice guys and people travel a lot of miles to deal with them.

He was great on the phone. I would have gone to him, but my deal changed as I found I qualified for some Fiat affiliate deal and didn't want to subject him to a slim profit margin. I know my bro' can't speak highly enough.

Back