General Seatbelt warning buzzer bypass

Currently reading:
General Seatbelt warning buzzer bypass

Man I remember the dogs abuse I got for asking this year's ago in the GP forum...

I wanted to know because I always put my shopping on the passenger seat (it's just easiest). But the weight triggered the belt alarm.

Never the less I received a lot of abuse from high and mighty types before I explained why I wanted it disabled.

Man I remember the dogs abuse I got for asking this year's ago in the GP forum...

I wanted to know because I always put my shopping on the passenger seat (it's just easiest). But the weight triggered the belt alarm.

Never the less I received a lot of abuse from high and mighty types before I explained why I wanted it disabled.

To be fair though, there are some knuckle draggers around who get annoyed by the buzzer and just don't want to wear a seatbelt.

Is it not against the law to be in a moving car without a seat belt being worn?
Luigi

I don't know the state/federal laws on seat belts in the US, which is where the OP is from ;). Anyway the OP has stated that occasionally he needs to drive without a seatbelt, he didn't state why. Could be escaping from an armed robbery (no time to put it on), doing a drive by shooting (may need to decamp fast), all manner of possibilities :p

Last edited:
easy to do (at least a couple of answers have already been given) but as the car is full of airbags I wouldn't advise not wearing a seatbelt even when traveling at very low speeds

a 10mph bump will put you forward enough in the seat enough to have the airbag potentially cause some very nasty injuries and the knee airbag could easily break ankles and possibly tib/fib

obviously its your choice I know i've done it in the drive through but then my car doesn't 'Bing' if you take your seat belt off.

Hi all.

My 2 pence worth.

As I've got full harnesses I had the same issue and in my personal experience there were a number of ways around it that I could take.

1)Code it out (as pointed out above but difficult/expensive maybe?)

2)Plug in another seatbelt clip into the catch (can't use the catch when you do want to?)

3)Find and cut off the buzzer/replace buzzer with an LED (low tech, solves the annoying symptom but the rest of the airbags may not work when needed?)

4)Take apart the catch and investigate where the car gets its "clicked" signal from and bridge it (not tried it myself, possibly play with a scrap one first?)

In my case when I use the harnesses I lead the inertia reel belt round the back of the seat and engaged so the system is all happy and the rest of the air bags still work. That was just what worked for me.

As a "newbie" I feel that a number of you have been a bit harsh/judgemental etc etc (i'm guessing this is why there is a sticky asking us all to play nice?)

We are not all lucky enough to be sinless, born-omnipotent experts in all fields. (I still have to check the diagram on a plug when re-wiring one!)

I always imagine forums like speaking to fellow enthusiasts at a meet, if I pluck up the courage to ask a question or voice something im not sure about and I get shot down, ridiculed or read the highway code i'm probably not likely to go back there.
But if I get a helpful answer followed by a bit of guidance, hint or "but in my opinion" that meet would quickly become my favourite. So when I have finished my project, or bought a hot new car, or have some parts I no longer need where do you think I will be going first?

Like I said, just my 2 pence worth.

Last edited:
People are still 100% correct to ask why you'd want to circumvent part of the safety equipment in your car.

Back