General 500 Locking gas cap

Currently reading:
General 500 Locking gas cap

71Pantera

Has anybody added a locking gas cap? Where do you get one that fits?

I'm guessing that your mastery of culture and the English language is limited. Gas = Gasoline. You must be French.

Yes, you are correct, I am French and I am a cheese eating surrender monkey.

I might suggest that you go to a Skoda journalist as you obviously have no sense of humour :)

Maxi! lol.

71... We get locking petrol/gas caps as standard here in the UK unless its an Abarth 595/695 in which case it's an aluminuum non locking version.
Maybe s UK spec locking one might fit?

Last edited:
I would expect the Panda one to fit, 71802520, but there must be a reason why Fiat do not fit one the the Abarth.

According to Fiat UK, I don't need one on the Panda, but that was the part number if I wanted one. Apparently the car has an "anti-syphon" system.

Won't stop the screwdriver stabbed through the tank, which is apparently the preferred method of stealing fuel these days. Perhaps a non-locking cap may persuade the miscreants to syphon it, so costing only the fuel, not a new tank. Discuss!

Won't stop the screwdriver stabbed through the tank, which is apparently the preferred method of stealing fuel these days. Perhaps a non-locking cap may persuade the miscreants to syphon it, so costing only the fuel, not a new tank. Discuss!

There are certain car parks in the Peak District which are so frequently targeted by thieves that the current advice is to remove everything from the car and leave it unlocked.

Yes, you are correct, I am French and I am a cheese eating surrender monkey.

I might suggest that you go to a Skoda journalist as you obviously have no sense of humour :)

Au contraire mon frere. Surrender accepted.

My sense of humor is alive and well. Your second post was humorous, the first one had that tinge of arrogance that led me to the French comment. Yes, I am from the U.S., but my parents were French and French Canadian hence I can throw stones at myself and often do.

Back to my question though. Who might know why the Abarth did not come with a locking gas cap?

Because Fiat are morons. A locking cap will fit just fine, if a locking cap is standard fit on the normal 500 then they should be able to order one for you

I'm guessing that your mastery of culture and the English language is limited. Gas = Gasoline. You must be French.

As an ex Oil Refiner I can say Petroleum Liquid = Petrol. As petrol is not a Gas I doubt the derivative Gasoline.

I can take you through the complete distillation of Crude Oil and the subsequent re processing of petroleum feedstock through a Platformer (which has a Platinum catalyst) together with the blending of other components, to make petrol, but I would be typing for a few hours.

I think you know we must be right, because we drive on the correct side of the road in the UK.

Yours faithfully,
Oil Refinery Scheduler with 28yrs service.

My petrol made cars go WELL, but it would not be prudent for me to advertise who I worked for.

Sense of Humour is a great asset.:D(y)

As an ex Oil Refiner I can say Petroleum Liquid = Petrol. As petrol is not a Gas I doubt the derivative Gasoline.

I can take you through the complete distillation of Crude Oil and the subsequent re processing of petroleum feedstock through a Platformer (which has a Platinum catalyst) together with the blending of other components, to make petrol, but I would be typing for a few hours.

I think you know we must be right, because we drive on the correct side of the road in the UK.

Yours faithfully,
Oil Refinery Scheduler with 28yrs service.

My petrol made cars go WELL, but it would not be prudent for me to advertise who I worked for.

Sense of Humour is a great asset.:D(y)

Wow! Chas, you are going to be a riveting conversationalist at our Saturday night get together before MITCAR. :sleep:

Plan B: light a teaspoonful and you'll identify the brand and octane from the size and colour of flame.

Think I prefer the taste test:nutter:

Once you've tasted it you never forget, the fumes repeat on you for days afterwards. Fell foul of this once, when times were hard, back in the 1970's, when syphoning from the car for petrol for the lawnmower.

I don't think you can syphon modern day cars due to baffle plates in the filler pipe??

Back