Styling any thoughts?

Currently reading:
Styling any thoughts?

ohh i dont take offence, i asked about the product, which can be linked to someone who has tried other leds and post about that experience good or bad...

personal opinion on why would you waste your money etc etc was not the question.

FFS its a led bulb not ohh its post about something i dont like and iam going to bash about it

ohh i dont take offence, i asked about the product, which can be linked to someone who has tried other leds and post about that experience good or bad...

personal opinion on why would you waste your money etc etc was not the question.

FFS its a led bulb not ohh its post about something i dont like and iam going to bash about it

Had Maxi said don't buy them, you or some one would have said "why, and why the hell are you so frigging uptight to only give a one word answer ?, you bad senior person you"...

Anyway are you buying them, if so send before & after pics.

btw: my answer would be no don't get them, the only reason I would consider whiter light DRL bulbs would be to compliment the HIDs, for inferior cars (without HID :)) you will just create imbalanced lighting which is not called for under any situation, if your car is not inferior then DO IT.

Last edited:
... for inferior cars (without HID :)) you will just create imbalanced lighting which is not called for under any situation, if your car is not inferior then DO IT.

His car is inferior:

hello the missus and I purchased a 59 plate arbarth in white, very happy with the car and is very fun to drive and i love it and its a far better car compared to the mk6 ford fiesta ST 2.0. we both use the car and we love the option to turn/dull down the power with the sports button which is great to save fuel.

My other car is a mk2 Ford Focus RS in white with stupid power but for the mean time the fiat is getting the attention and its fun and looks fantastic.
my only grip with it..... no xenons but seen you can buy the headlights no problem but need to know if they just plug in.

hope to get some ideas for our new machine and looking forward to some good fun in it (y)

Daryl

I came from BMW 135i with xenons and VW Phaeton with xenons and I can honestly say that the 500 with Philips extreme vision bulbs is not far off. Maybe not as white light but very good indeed. Particularly hi beam.

We have the Philips Blue vision bulbs fitted already, yes the light is brighter compared to oem bulbs but it does lack light compared to oem hid on a unlit country roads.

what worries the missus and I is this canbus system, is it possible to disable this system?

been looking into upgrading the bulbs on the A500 to led versions and seen these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370733316981?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

what do you think?

Those bulbs look interesting but I wonder how long they would last ?

On the MiTo the DRLs operate differently than on the 500. The MiTo's DRLs don't illuminate at 21W on main beam whilst on the 500 they do.

So fitting those bulbs as pointed out by UFI will result in poorer light.
EDIT: this may not be correct.

Would not be a fan of mixing LED and normal blubs where they come on at the same time unless you had Xenons like e.g. Arorat. Plus I have only recently come around to the idea of LEDs where they have been factory fitted. Aftermarket ones are noticeable and tend to look 'cheap' not to mention illegal HID conversion kits.

We have the Philips Blue vision bulbs fitted already, yes the light is brighter compared to oem bulbs but it does lack light compared to oem hid on a unlit country roads.

Had a set of Stella Spots (with the covers) on a 127 Sport in the 80s but they looked nothing like the ones on the A500 R3T. Not suggesting that you get a set since they will probably get the wrong kind of attention.

In the past on really dark country roads I have used the Fog lights very late at night when there was virtually no oncoming traffic. Main concern here was pedestrians.

Attachments

• 58729abart--478x326.jpg
    58729abart--478x326.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
I normally replace all my car lights (not headlights) with LED, as OE bulbs blow often when subjected to rough roads. They're also brighter, and on the highway, give the car behind you another 5 metres to stop via improved illumination time. They also use less current which is a consideration on S/S cars, and infact will pay for themselves in fuel savings over about 2-3 years (depending on application of course). I also do the interior lights so that if a door is left open the globe doesn't melt/ blacken the plastic lense.

If you have problems with LED's blowing you either got defective units, bought cheap nasty ones, or they weren't suitable for your application (most often park/DRL inside a headlight housing). Water ingress can also be an issue which can damage the driver circuit.

On the 500 though, it's all too hard. A satisfactory DRL solution does not exist, and the CANBUS is an issue (although really you can live with the odd error message). The only LED's on UFI that I'm 100% happy with are in the third stop light, but even that took two tries!

UFI will eventually have full LED's, but it's moved down the priority list, I plan on building custom arrays, and using some sneaky circuitry to fool CANBUS. I should point out that I don't use 'Error Free' LED's as I don't believe in wasting power via resistors.

UFI with the best LED T20 DRL's I could find:

Attachments

• _MG_8667_cr.jpg
    _MG_8667_cr.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
...UFI with the best LED T20 DRL's I could find:

What are the Lumens output on those ?

Re-reading the DazzaRS's advertised URL it mentions 380 lumens and it claims that it's bright than the 21W halogen bulb ?

The Powersaving of 21W to 3W using the DRLs is worth considering but would it justify the £20 outlay ?

Do they dull down in 5W halogen mode ?

Is there any risk to the ECU or the CANBUS setup if you change from halogen to LEDs bulbs ?

Don't think so, on the TA the DRLs dim when main beam is used.

Took me a while to find this - there was too many hairy discussions on DRLs :eek:
On the 500 without Xenons when the main beam came on the DRL went to full brightness. Sequence shown here. Is it different on your Xenon spec TA ?

Took me a while to find this - there was too many hairy discussions on DRLs :eek:
On the 500 without Xenons when the main beam came on the DRL went to full brightness. Sequence shown here. Is it different on your Xenon spec TA ?

Thanks for the reminder and the link... I totaly forgot about that post, right I understand what you are saying; on high bean the high beam DRLs come on too. I will have to check this with HIDs.

I meant to say in the previous post that the DRLs dim when low bean is selected, so just need to confirm if the DRL high beam come on when HID high beam is selected - my head hurts !!

the DRL is a side light too so with no headlights on the bulb is at 21W, when dipped or full is turned on it becomes a side light bulb at 5W

the bulb is a dual element so to speak, with a 500 with a oem hid headlamps do they also come with this DRL option?

the DRL is a side light too so with no headlights on the bulb is at 21W, when dipped or full is turned on it becomes a side light bulb at 5W

Taken a snapshot from the link posted earlier - the last picture shows high beam and the DRL is at 21W (full brightness) with standard lights. This is different on the MiTo when it is only on full brightness in DRL mode with the headlights off.

the bulb is a dual element so to speak, with a 500 with a oem hid headlamps do they also come with this DRL option?

Xenon optioned 500 have the DRLs. On the link posted there's some information on the differences when you flashed.

Attachments

• Light sequence.jpg
    Light sequence.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 36
What are the Lumens output on those ?

Re-reading the DazzaRS's advertised URL it mentions 380 lumens and it claims that it's bright than the 21W halogen bulb ?

The Powersaving of 21W to 3W using the DRLs is worth considering but would it justify the £20 outlay ?

Do they dull down in 5W halogen mode ?

Is there any risk to the ECU or the CANBUS setup if you change from halogen to LEDs bulbs ?

The lumen output is 450, a standard 21W globe is around 600 lumens, but the problem with LED's is they don't produce the same light pattern as OE, so even 700lm globes will tend to appear dim in a DRL application. Mine have a 2W Led in the middle, with 0.5W LEDs around the circumference to help spread light to the reflector in a more OE fashion, even then as can be seen in the picture, they're quite directional.

The ones posted originally only have a single forward facing LED, so they'll only appear bright to someone lying on the road. Virtually no light will hit the reflector.

It's a slow payback, but remember it's 2x21w which works out to around 0.5MPG at 60MPG. As I've said, there isn't a real plug and play solution for the 500 DRL so I don't really 'recommend' people do it. If they could be turned on independently, I'd change the fogs to 10W LED and use them as DRL. That would give the Mercedes/Citroen DRL brightness. Eventually, I'm aiming for 1000lumens plus with the LED's positioned so they use the reflector optics much like the stock globes.

If you get 7443 bulbs they should be dual 'fillamet' so they dim (that's what the '3' stands for). If they don't it's no big loss either.

The CANBUS may throw errors but I don't see a way to damage it with lower power lighting.

Also, make sure they are suitable for fitting to a headlight housing otherwise the heat from the high beam will kill them.

Last edited:
Back