General Staffordshire Police Insurance Crackdown

Currently reading:
General Staffordshire Police Insurance Crackdown

Wow. Did you read my post? I am not condoning insurance cheating. Just making a comment that until the system is sophisticated enough to recognise when someone has changed insurance companies there should be a small window.

Just making a comment that until the system is sophisticated enough to recognise when someone has changed insurance companies there should be a small window.

Nope, can't see how it would work without the ability to be exploited. Insurance companies update the MID twice a week, at worst your looking a 4 day over lap, this applies to a mid term cancellation also. If you don't want to be pulled over for no insurance then incept a policy at least 4-5 days before the start date, then the system will be updated with the start date and you'll show as insured from that day (y)

Nope, can't see how it would work without the ability to be exploited. Insurance companies update the MID twice a week, at worst your looking a 4 day over lap, this applies to a mid term cancellation also. If you don't want to be pulled over for no insurance then incept a policy at least 4-5 days before the start date, then the system will be updated with the start date and you'll show as insured from that day (y)

:yeahthat:

Insurance give you plenty of time from when your renewal is sent to you. Just don't leave it to the last minute.

There was about two weeks when my new registration was not recognised on the ASKMID database or the DVLA one even though I had the cover note and DVLA notification with my new number on. I just kept them with me whenever I was driving to help smooth the way if I was stopped. As it happened I wasn't stopped but I wouldn't be annoyed at the police if I had been, after all they are just doing their job.

I don't think it took more than about 5 minutes. We live in a society and the price we have to pay for that is some occasional inconvenience to make sure that rules are in force. If we didn't, where would we end up? (Greece, I hear Ahmett replying - and look where it has got them.)

I don't think it took more than about 5 minutes. We live in a society and the price we have to pay for that is some occasional inconvenience to make sure that rules are in force. If we didn't, where would we end up? (Greece, I hear Ahmett replying - and look where it has got them.)
I wonder what they do with all those Arab numberplate cars in London? I guess they stop you manually and have 'a chat', especially if you have been revving that V12 Lamborghini too loud on the sideroads of Knightsbridge after 10 pm = )

I wonder what they do with all those Arab numberplate cars in London? I guess they stop you manually and have 'a chat', especially if you have been revving that V12 Lamborghini too loud on the sideroads of Knightsbridge after 10 pm = )

And then sieze it for no insurance or lisence, had a programme on channel 4 about it a few months back, all that moeny but still not legit :p

And then sieze it for no insurance or lisence, had a programme on channel 4 about it a few months back, all that moeny but still not legit :p

Yeah i think you can drive for 6 months with non uk licence plates and driver licence and i think green card insurance 90 days. My favorite is when they clamped the qatari harrods owners lambo outside of harrods! If it was me i would not pay any council tax or harrods until they let me park in front of the property i own!

Yeah i think you can drive for 6 months with non uk licence plates and driver licence and i think green card insurance 90 days. My favorite is when they clamped the qatari harrods owners lambo outside of harrods! If it was me i would not pay any council tax or harrods until they let me park in front of the property i own!

Problem is that they don't own the road, or the pavement for that matter - that belongs to the council (assuming it is an adopted road which it most definitely is in this case). You have no legal right at all to park in front of your own property in the UK unless you have off-road parking. It is however illegal to block access to your property so if you have the aforementioned off-road parking and someone else parks across the entrance then they are in the wrong - so in short it is potentially illegal to park in front of someone else's property but you have no legal right to park there if it is your property... make of that what you will...

All that being the case refusing to pay up is just a road to nowhere. The parking attendants are correct to clamp the car and in London (Knightsbridge) I believe they also then remove the car (used to sit and watch them doing this from my flat waiting for someone to come running out swearing because their precious Ferrari/Lambo/Merc/BMW/Porsche - delete as required - was being man-handled and probably damaged).

Problem is that they don't own the road, or the pavement for that matter - that belongs to the council (assuming it is an adopted road which it most definitely is in this case). You have no legal right at all to park in front of your own property in the UK unless you have off-road parking. It is however illegal to block access to your property so if you have the aforementioned off-road parking and someone else parks across the entrance then they are in the wrong - so in short it is potentially illegal to park in front of someone else's property but you have no legal right to park there if it is your property... make of that what you will...

All that being the case refusing to pay up is just a road to nowhere. The parking attendants are correct to clamp the car and in London (Knightsbridge) I believe they also then remove the car (used to sit and watch them doing this from my flat waiting for someone to come running out swearing because their precious Ferrari/Lambo/Merc/BMW/Porsche - delete as required - was being man-handled and probably damaged).
they can park in front of it acutually, they should just get a residents permit = ) probably they were too lazy to get one haha

they can park in front of it acutually, they should just get a residents permit = ) probably they were too lazy to get one haha

Don't know the ins and outs of that case but usually permit parking in the UK are for streets that are designated as such and then only people that live there can obtain the permits

Don't know the ins and outs of that case but usually permit parking in the UK are for streets that are designated as such and then only people that live there can obtain the permits

Well i'd hope that owning 'arrods counts as living there!

Nope, unless they live in a flat upstairs or some such. But that still wouldn't allow them to park as that roead isn't a residents only parking area, If I recall correctly its a no parking area.

Resident's permits allow you to park in a specific zone in London, not in a specific bay. A zone is typically 2 or 3 connected streets. The alternative is private parking but that gets back to being off-road again.

The roads outside Harrods are not in a residential area iirc so there aren't any residents parking areas. There is designated parking spaces down the side but the front is a mixture of pedestrian crossing and zig-zags (park on these and the police throw the book at you) double red lines (no parking or stopping) and double yellow except for the taxi ranks.

Anyone parking at the front of Harrods is just asking to have their car towed! Doesn't matter who you are - the law is an ass like that...

You can see the road for yourself on streetview (http://goo.gl/maps/mFIUV)

How funny - Hans Road on Streetview clearly shows one side of the road with pay and display, the other side residents' parking. And who is parked on a meter (or the modern equivalent)? One of the Qataris in their subtle family liveried Lambos.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=harrods&ll=51.498466,-0.163062&spn=0.00115,0.00327&hq=harrods&hnear=London,+United+Kingdom&t=m&fll=51.498859,-0.164001&fspn=0.002288,0.006539&z=19&layer=c&cbll=51.498574,-0.163358&panoid=-o76fKBl-08JfW1i1r9-HQ&cbp=13,118.67,,0,19.34&source=gplus-ogsb

Edit: Hans Road is one of the roads that runs round the Harrods block.

There is a "car club" based down there and a chunk of the "parking" is dedicated to their business so you see a lot of very fancy cars.

Thing is, Hans Road is not really "in front" of Harrods even if it is next to it...

There is a "car club" based down there and a chunk of the "parking" is dedicated to their business so you see a lot of very fancy cars.

Thing is, Hans Road is not really "in front" of Harrods even if it is next to it...
Well if that isn't in front of harrods I don't know what is = )

Well if that isn't in front of harrods I don't know what is = )

I would have said more "down the side of" harrods but point taken.

Looking at that video clip what they fell foul of was not parking in a designated bay. By keeping a good 4-6 inch gap from the kerb to protect the precious wheels they stick out into the road past the bay markings. Once again this is instant clamp territory.

For reference the bays would have been too narrow even if the wheels were brushing the kerb - the problem is fairly well documented in London and a lot of fancy car owners have suffered fines, clamping, etc. because the bays are actually narrower than the car (same for length).

One thing I did forget to mention in the previous posts when talking about it being illegal to deny access to your property (ie parking across your drive) also extends into wheel clamping. By doing so they are effectively blocking your property (in this case the car) which is, in itself, illegal. You are quite within your rights to remove the clamp by any means necessary but this hits a big grey area when it comes to council sanctioned clamping. Breaking a local bylaw imposed by the council is not the same as breaking the law as defined by the courts, as such they can find it really hard to enforce if it goes to court. The local magistrate will likely side with the council but the higher courts have been known to believe differently and forced the councils to back down.

As such it is quite legal for the police to take your car if you've done something naughty but the council aren't really supposed to do so for a parking violation (falls under local bylaw) unless it is something stupid like parking on a zig-zag next to a crossing or outside a school (the police will jump on you for this sort of thing but aren't interested in the petty stuff unless there are aggravating factors) which falls under national law.

Back