Technical CV joint rubber cover leaking

Currently reading:
Technical CV joint rubber cover leaking

I have probably first issue with A500. At the same day I picked her up from the dealer after covering about 120 km I spotted that there is some grease in the area of left CV joint (the one on the gearbox side). I thought that maybe in factory while mounting CV joints they left by accident some grease on the front suspension frame. So I cleaned it with paper towel and naphtha.

Since this time till today I covered about 1500 km. Today I looked once more in problematic area and again found grease exactly around CV joint (on gearbox, suspension frame etc.). It seems that the metal band on rubber cover is loose and when grease from CV joint is warm enough it goes out of it. Rubber cover itself seems to be OK - there are no cracks on it.

Tomorrow I am going for an engine oil change so I will have Abarth service investigate this problem. Below you will find some photos.

Attachments

• IMG_1769.JPG
    IMG_1769.JPG
    412 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG_1770.JPG
    IMG_1770.JPG
    414.2 KB · Views: 184
Hi Gregi, in the absense of a split in the gaiter, your diagnosis of a loose clip would seem to be the most logical answer. Although it is possible that the CV joint was overpacked with grease there is plenty of room for expansion inside the boot itself and if the clip was secure should contain the excess.

Let us know how it goes. (y)

Although it is possible that the CV joint was overpacked with grease there is plenty of room for expansion inside the boot itself and if the clip was secure should contain the excess.

Let us know how it goes. (y)

Depends how overpacked it is. I've seen numpties *fill* a CV gaiter with grease. You'd expect this not to happen in the factory, but if the grease dispensing machine was having a bad day..

Make sure dealer removes boot and refills with correct amount of grease before fitting a new clip. If the grease quantity was correct, it is now not enough, just tightening or replacing the clip will lead to failure later, possibly when out of warranty. Make sure it is done right.

Excess grease is unlikely as this would waste money, so is likely to be very closely controlled at build.

But you're not actually reading what I'm saying are you? What I'm saying is that it may have been overpacked due to a mistake.

I appreciate what you say, but manufacturers control costs well. This grease will be dispensed by machine, carefully controlled. Could give insufficient grease if it ran out and the operator didn't notice, but unlikely. I suppose operator could double-dose it if distracted, but difficult to add just a little more, as it will be one-shot, or two-shots. This will be done at the driveshaft manufacturer, not by Fiat or Abarth.

They don't really have much grease in them to begin with, all the boots I've done in the past have come as a kit - in the box you get boot, straps (cable ties, metal bands etc) and a sachet of grease. The sachet of grease never seemed enough to me, only barely half-filling the boot.

(edit's not working for me??)

OP. Just looking at your pics - for a car that's only covered 1500km, that driveshaft and track rod are looking a bit shabby, might want to slap something on to protect them?
Meh, it's the underneath of a car, it rusts and matters very little. :)

It's well worth greasing the threads on the track rod; it will be much appreciated by whoever next adjusts your tracking :).

It may also ease the pain on your wallet next time you need the tracking adjusted.
If they can't crack the nut to adjust the tracking, they might spend ages trying (which will cost) or simply tell you it can't be done & that you need a new rod (because they tried & bent the rod!) - either way, a few penn'orth of grease might save many pounds down the line

It may also ease the pain on your wallet next time you need the tracking adjusted.
If they can't crack the nut to adjust the tracking, they might spend ages trying (which will cost) or simply tell you it can't be done & that you need a new rod (because they tried & bent the rod!) - either way, a few penn'orth of grease might save many pounds down the line
Call me silly, but a tie rod end for a 500 is so cheap that to me it doesn't warrant jacking up the front of the car and greasing it up. Just personal opinion of course :)

I appreciate what you say, but manufacturers control costs well. This grease will be dispensed by machine, carefully controlled. Could give insufficient grease if it ran out and the operator didn't notice, but unlikely. I suppose operator could double-dose it if distracted, but difficult to add just a little more, as it will be one-shot, or two-shots. This will be done at the driveshaft manufacturer, not by Fiat or Abarth.

Your logic makes no sense. You're saying that the Oetiker band clip wasn't tightened fully (and therefore a mistake was made), yet it's impossible that too much grease was put in?

What I'm saying is, check it all.

Call me silly, but a tie rod end for a 500 is so cheap that to me it doesn't warrant jacking up the front of the car and greasing it up. Just personal opinion of course :)

Oh yes, the END is less than £15 - but then there is the fitting - remember, if the 'old' one is rusted on tight...
I had that problem recently, couldn't get the tracking sorted as the tyre place couldn't crack the nut. Ended up taking the whole rod out & buying a new one (that's the end plus the rod). Even off the motor, no amount of heat & forcing would shift it.
Cost me a damned sight more than a handful of grease.
But hey, if you've got money to burn & over half a day to waste - not to mention being without your motor while it gets sorted...

Indeed.

IMG_02402.JPG

(excuse the jaunty angle, an iPhone photo that always ends up in different orientation when uploaded)

An Audi A3 tie rod a week ago, the inner balljoint had died before the outer (unusual), but not being wasteful, I didn't buy the outer, until I realised the old one wasn't going to come off the old tie rod.

Grease on the exposed threads isn't going to help this though, you need to put anti seize compound on the threads before you screw the outer joint on.

Exactly why I got rack ends when I had the front end of the Subaru rebushed and all the tie rod ends, balljoints and so on replaced.

2cq051d.jpg

Back