General MPG and Sport Mode

Currently reading:
General MPG and Sport Mode

chas379

72 Year Old teenager
Over the last 5 fill ups from the beginning of Feb. I have been operating in Sport Mode for the majority of the time. As such I like to drive the car rather than in sedate mode.

I have noticed my MPG slowly increase, and at last check is stood at 37.1 mpg. this is local driving around with a 65 mile round trip thrown in predominantly dual carriageway.

3600 on the clock to date (a little on the low side , but was 'crocked' for nearly 2 of these months and unable to drive).

If the weather holds will be motoring to Teesside late next week , 630 mile round trip plus 3 days touring around. So will see how it works out on this trip.

I'd be interested in what you find as I got the impression from other Abarth owners that Sport mode increases consumption. I usually drive in 'Normal' mode as its mostly around town but tend to use the Sport mode sporadically - just to blow away the car's cobwebs. Unfortunately, I've never made any calculations to the difference in mpg, so I can't comment... I'm hovering around 33mpg at the moment...

I tend to use Sport mode all the time, as I prefer the extra toque and heavier steering. The wife uses the normal setting. I am seeing about 39 on a run at the moment (3-500 mile trips) and 33 overall. About 8mpg less than I saw in the 1200.

Pressing the girly button does show an instant improvement in the MPG displayed, but at the figures I am seeing it's not worth trading in the fun for.

On the MiTo there's a Dynamic mode which is the same as the Sport mode on the Abarth. One of the quirks with this setup is that it's not possible to engage Dynamic mode after 63 mph. The difference between the 2 modes is quite significant but then I have the 155 model which supposedly produces 163 bhp. You really notice the extra acceleration in Dynamic with the additional boost.
Fuel consumption at the moment is showing 36.8mpg on the read out. If you're driving easy Normal is better than Sport (Dynamic) for fuel consumption particularly around the town plus the less heavy steering is nicer. But on Tolled Motorway speeds which are generally around 80-85+ mph Dynamic is better than Normal where the additional boost is better than having less boost and using more throttle. Readout varies wildly showing lows of early 20s but seems to average around the early 30s to the early 40s. I would expect to average 40mpg (readout) from a fast outbound (75mph++) and an easy return (60-65mph) which is pretty good given the performance. Note that I'm using 16 wheels with a 195 footprint using crappy Michelin Excellence and Hankook tyres but they haven't got the drag of the Conti 2s. Plus I have a 6th gear.:)
If I had the standard A500 with the 135-145bhp tune a tuning box will increase fuel consumption by around 3mpg if you're not taking advantage of the extra power.

On the A500 NP that I just P/Xed for the 595 the Trip B figure for the last 953 miles covered showed 39.3mpg. This was all covered in non sport mode as the wife was happier with lighter steering and also felt the car was powerful enough round town.

Currently "hovering" (Melspeak) around 33mpg with the 595 but weather has been cold and there was a lot of low gear work on the IOW in the snow. Not sure if the MTA box will be more economical or not, time will tell.

My wife has the 1.4 Lounge and not the Abarth and we have just completed a lot trip of about 450 kms (about 300 miles) on open road driving.

I was driving and also wanted to see the difference on consumption in sport mode. I first tried sport mode and the average fuel consumption was 6.2 l/100kms ( 46 mpg) and then I switched sport off and managed 5.5 l/100kms (51 mpg). This is at high altitude 1600 metres above sea level where power is about 16% less than sea level. Speed was a between 100 and 120 km/h. No traffic lights and very light traffic situation.

I would assume the sport mode on the Abarth will have similar effect.

My wife has the 1.4 Lounge and not the Abarth and we have just completed a lot trip of about 450 kms (about 300 miles) on open road driving.

I was driving and also wanted to see the difference on consumption in sport mode. I first tried sport mode and the average fuel consumption was 6.2 l/100kms ( 46 mpg) and then I switched sport off and managed 5.5 l/100kms (51 mpg). This is at high altitude 1600 metres above sea level where power is about 16% less than sea level. Speed was a between 100 and 120 km/h. No traffic lights and very light traffic situation.

I would assume the sport mode on the Abarth will have similar effect.

51mpg is an excellent for a 1.4 - I don't think I ever managed to get that but then I had the Euro 4 model with 149grs/km. The sport mode on the F500 1.4 is the same map as non sport mode with Sport mode only affecting the throttle position. I used to leave Sport mode engaged all the time except around town where it would get a little jerky. Sport mode on the motorway was great and only involved lightly pressing the throttle to keep up with the flow of traffic. Would agree that around town Sport mode would use up more fuel since it would encourage you to press on.

If the weather holds will be motoring to Teesside late next week , 630 mile round trip plus 3 days touring around. So will see how it works out on this trip.

Back home safe and sound, weather was good, managed about 800 miles all in all and the average for Dual Carriageway & Motorway driving, in sport mode came in at 41 mpg. A24/M25/M1/M18/A1 (M)/A19 to name but a few.

Last edited:
Ours is also getting a little more economical. Had to pop over to Exeter (about 520 miles round trip) and saw an average of just under 41 mpg. Not bad, as there were several excursions into three figure speeds..

Overall average is just over 37 now, with half an eye being kept on economy while the other one and a half focus on fun..

I am really glad I found this thread. I have been getting things together in order to purchase my own Abarth but I was worried about the estimated mpg on the Fiat website and what they post on the stickers in the lot. I'd be using this as my daily driver and I drive about 60 miles, 5-7 days a wk and I was wanting something better than the depressing 24 mpg I am currently getting with my SUV. I will perform my own tests when I get it to see what Memphis weather does to the mileage. Thanks guys!

I am really glad I found this thread. I have been getting things together in order to purchase my own Abarth but I was worried about the estimated mpg on the Fiat website and what they post on the stickers in the lot. I'd be using this as my daily driver and I drive about 60 miles, 5-7 days a wk and I was wanting something better than the depressing 24 mpg I am currently getting with my SUV. I will perform my own tests when I get it to see what Memphis weather does to the mileage. Thanks guys!

Dont' forget there are other differences that will affect the MPG on a US Car the biggest being that a US Gallon is smaller than a UK Gallon (3.78 Litres compared to 4.54 Litres in the UK)

So any MPG figures you see from a UK vehicle will already be 10-15% better before taking into account any other factors

Dont' forget there are other differences that will affect the MPG on a US Car the biggest being that a US Gallon is smaller than a UK Gallon (3.78 Litres compared to 4.54 Litres in the UK)

So any MPG figures you see from a UK vehicle will already be 10-15% better before taking into account any other factors
that is slightly disappointing but I still am getting one!

Been using Shell's new V Power Nitro turbo nutter fuel, and did 310 miles today. Usually see high 30s on this journey. Got 45.4 mpg!

:slayer:

Were you driving sedately and trying to achieve a better mpg, or was it your usual mode??

Been using Shell's new V Power Nitro turbo nutter fuel, and did 310 miles today. Usually see high 30s on this journey. Got 45.4 mpg!

:slayer:
Just remember though, on a single journey you might get a good tailwind or be going downhill or start with the engine warm, all thigns which will give a false sense of economy :)

Were you driving sedately and trying to achieve a better mpg, or was it your usual mode??

Pretty normal to be honest. It's a journey I do pretty regularly (Nottingham and back) and it's mainly the A1M with some twisties this end. Mostly cruising at +/- 80 mph, just with the flow in the fast lane but not pushing people out of the way.

I know several people on the Abarth forum are seeing better MPG with this stuff. I had "thought" mine was better (just because the tank was going down less) but it's only when I use the car for business that I really monitor it. I will continue to do so and see what happens.

It did mean that I could do the whole journey on one tank. It gets too close for comfort usually....

Pretty normal to be honest. It's a journey I do pretty regularly (Nottingham and back) and it's mainly the A1M with some twisties this end. Mostly cruising at +/- 80 mph, just with the flow in the fast lane but not pushing people out of the way.

I know several people on the Abarth forum are seeing better MPG with this stuff. I had "thought" mine was better (just because the tank was going down less) but it's only when I use the car for business that I really monitor it. I will continue to do so and see what happens.

Good return on mpg.(y)

Is this new petrol higher in the octane at 102 or is it the same as the V power at 99 octane ?

Are you using a Tuning box ?

The new multiairs are designed to run on 95 octane (unless modified) so this higher octane is really only useful on the current European A500. If & when they bring out a MA A500 it may not be worth getting in standard tune.

It did mean that I could do the whole journey on one tank. It gets too close for comfort usually....

I struggled with the tank on the 500 1.4 and could not get more than 300 miles out of it since it only had c. 35L. Would you consider carrying 5L as an emergency on long yourneys or how would that impact on safety ?

Update :

Last weekend on return home from Kettering to Arundel (145 miles) after which a week of local driving, all in Sport mode, returned 44.5 mpg. Coming up to 6,000 on the clock. My best so far.(y)

Back