General MPG and Sport Mode

Currently reading:
General MPG and Sport Mode

Wife potters around in girly mode. I always use the sport mode. Averages 32mpg. Low 40s on a motorway cruise which ain't bad I suppose.

But this will make you all smile....My BMW M5 in full power mode (507bhp) averages 18mpg (but single figures are possible with really spirited driving), but it does go quite a bit quicker than the abarth! I've seen 23mpg on a motorway cruise though....whoppee!!(y)

Regards
Mark

Wife potters around in girly mode. I always use the sport mode. Averages 32mpg. Low 40s on a motorway cruise which ain't bad I suppose.

But this will make you all smile....My BMW M5 in full power mode (507bhp) averages 18mpg (but single figures are possible with really spirited driving), but it does go quite a bit quicker than the abarth! I've seen 23mpg on a motorway cruise though....whoppee!!(y)

Regards
Mark

Ha Ha

Similar world

Like you I find the 500 pretty good

The 350 zed twin Turbo (500 bhp) is in the same league as your beemer for average mpg but Ive seen 30 on a run driving like a granny :D

Ive also used a tank on the track & averaged 6 mpg

Everytime I drive the car it likes to drop one bar on the fuel gauge... I think the wife plan this so I can fill the car up for her. 37-41 is a good range per tank but it all depends on the driving style. You can check my fuelly to get an idea over 10000 miles

Stopped using fuelly as it was a pain in the arse to fill the details in every 3 days ( wife was in hospital and it was a 90 mile tound trip everyday ), but my mpg is now around 27 mpg going by my trip counter.
Coming back from the airport I averaged 33mpg down the motorway ( average speed around 75mph )

I can live with the low consumption for the sheer fun of it but the range is a right pain!

Stopped using fuelly as it was a pain in the arse to fill the details in every 3 days ( wife was in hospital and it was a 90 mile tound trip everyday ), but my mpg is now around 27 mpg going by my trip counter.
Coming back from the airport I averaged 33mpg down the motorway ( average speed around 75mph )

I can live with the low consumption for the sheer fun of it but the range is a right pain!

Bet you have lead in your right boot. Hope all ok with your OH as she is the priority over Fuelly(y)

Been playing around with this myself over the last few weeks. First of all using non-sport mode seems to be a waste of time. It encourages you to be in a higher gear than strictly necessary and when you need to accelerate you have to use more throttle for longer. A bit of self-training helps but it is more intuitive in sport mode.

Driving sensibly on a 30 miles round trip to work with about 60% motorway and I get a healthy 38mpg average. Stick to slower sub-urban roads and that rockets to 50mpg but obviously takes much longer to get anywhere and the MPG sinks like a lump of rock if you have to keep stopping.

In general I've had the best results by accelerating as hard as I need to for getting up to speed and then sitting in the highest gear comfortable and using standard economy methods, letting it run out going up slopes and use the downhill to recover and pick up a bit extra speed.

Most of the journey is then spent looking at 40-50mpg on the instant consumption which leaves plenty of scope for playing as and when needed - just not all the time...

Incidently it was a tankful of shell's nitro fuel that is the number #1 suspect for killing my high compression Seicento engine, problem is I can't prove it but whatever it was the damage was down to high engine speed detonation - exit pistons stage left... most consistent with fuel that didn't meet the required 98RON equivalent of higher.

Last edited:
Been playing around with this myself over the last few weeks. First of all using non-sport mode seems to be a waste of time. It encourages you to be in a higher gear than strictly necessary and when you need to accelerate you have to use more throttle for longer. A bit of self-training helps but it is more intuitive in sport mode.

Driving sensibly on a 30 miles round trip to work with about 60% motorway and I get a healthy 38mpg average. Stick to slower sub-urban roads and that rockets to 50mpg but obviously takes much longer to get anywhere and the MPG sinks like a lump of rock if you have to keep stopping.

In general I've had the best results by accelerating as hard as I need to for getting up to speed and then sitting in the highest gear comfortable and using standard economy methods, letting it run out going up slopes and use the downhill to recover and pick up a bit extra speed.

Most of the journey is then spent looking at 40-50mpg on the instant consumption which leaves plenty of scope for playing as and when needed - just not all the time...

Incidently it was a tankful of shell's nitro fuel that is the number #1 suspect for killing my high compression Seicento engine, problem is I can't prove it but whatever it was the damage was down to high engine speed detonation - exit pistons stage left... most consistent with fuel that didn't meet the required 98RON equivalent of higher.

Shell VP Nitro is surely LESS likely to cause detonation (pinking / pre ignition) as its 99 RON. Detonation occurs with fuel that is lower than recommended.

Shell VP Nitro is surely LESS likely to cause detonation (pinking / pre ignition) as its 99 RON. Detonation occurs with fuel that is lower than recommended.

That would be the theory but I have my suspicions over what actually went into the tank as opposed to what was supposed to be coming out of the pump...

I've had good and bad(ish) batches of super(plus) over the years but nothing that did any damage.

The actually RON rating of the fuel is supposed to be a minimum rating, because the bit that pushes the RON rating up is generally more volatile than the rest of the fuel a stale batch will be lower rated than a batch freshly delivered from a full tanker. A good fresh batch of Shell nitro might actually be higher than 99 RON, a bad batch should only very rarely be below 99 RON and never, ever below 98 RON otherwise it fails to be super unleaded. Equally regular unleaded is supposed to be 96 RON but can be above or below in the same way.

The difficulty is that most modern cars don't need super unleaded and even if they do they would come with a knock sensor to protect the engine in the event of bad fuel being used. My car didn't have a knock sensor and really did need super unleaded.

I find driving the vehicle in sport beneficial in performance and also fuel... I don't "race" it at every set of lights but it performs easier with less right foot and I use manual mode mostly so it doesn't gear down and I get between 4.0 and 6.9/7 as a regular instant consumption when travelling between 50 & 70-80 kms an hour. In normal mode it's always loading 5th gear too long and so you accelerate more then it changes gears right when your at the speed you wanted... It tends to increase consumption up to 6-9.0 litres per 100km...

Definitely do not like normal mode on the freeway - it's hard to keep it consistent, so sport works well for that.

Instant can't consumption is useless, the tiniest gradient or slightest movement of the throttle will make a massive difference, consumption should be measured over a tank

Definitely. And from my fuel usage I have a variance of about .3 L per 100km usage change, but there was more urban driving in one trip over the other. Still only have 3-4 fills ATM to go on.

Back