Styling Vinyl wrap mods... Opinions

Currently reading:
Styling Vinyl wrap mods... Opinions

So after giving my Abarth a good old clean last weekend, the knotty problem of white primer showing through stone chips on the black bonnet has raised its ugly head. When I bought the car I dot and dabbed the worst of them, but when you look closely there are lots of very small ones that are too small to be touched up, and you don't really see unless you get up close.

As it is black with white accents, I have been cogitating getting a complete white vinyl cover for the bonnet, to give the car a bit of individuality and also to negate the effect of further stone chips. I have also thought of going a bit further, and having the roof and part below the windows done, with a thin red line to separate the original black and white vinyl top bit, similar to the various two tone models Fiat/Abarth do now. I do like the two tone effect as I think it is quite retro which is one of the things I like about the 500.

It's no good asking the mrs as she wouldn't care so I thought I might ask the opinion of some enthusiasts on here what they thought!

So after giving my Abarth a good old clean last weekend, the knotty problem of white primer showing through stone chips on the black bonnet has raised its ugly head. When I bought the car I dot and dabbed the worst of them, but when you look closely there are lots of very small ones that are too small to be touched up, and you don't really see unless you get up close.

As it is black with white accents, I have been cogitating getting a complete white vinyl cover for the bonnet, to give the car a bit of individuality and also to negate the effect of further stone chips. I have also thought of going a bit further, and having the roof and part below the windows done, with a thin red line to separate the original black and white vinyl top bit, similar to the various two tone models Fiat/Abarth do now. I do like the two tone effect as I think it is quite retro which is one of the things I like about the 500.

It's no good asking the mrs as she wouldn't care so I thought I might ask the opinion of some enthusiasts on here what they thought!

Mick, you've answered your own question, you just need to mask up the bits you want to stay black and then follow a gritting lorry at 70mph to make the unmasked bits white. :D

Back on the original topic though, I like the idea of vinyl wrap per se so get photoshopping and lets see what you come up with.

Assuming that the chips are all on the bonnet, would I be right in thinking that the cost of your intended project would be not a lot less than the cost of respraying the bonnet?

If so, then I'm afraid the old fart in me would say to just get the one panel repaired.

Trouble is though Robin, the new paintwork will get chipped again whereas with the vinyl it will always look good, ... at least 'til Mick decides to take it off and then it will look bad again.

Mick, get it done before Auto Italia in August.

I looked at venture shielding the front of mine to stop chips. The 500 kit for the front end alone including fitting was pushing £1000.

I worked out that I could get 3 decent bonnet and front bumper resprays for a grand and so that seemed the better option. And I'm glad I didn't go for it. In the last month Isabella has tangled with a fox and a rabbit. From a bumper perspective it would have been money down the drain.

I worked out that I could get 3 decent bonnet and front bumper resprays for a grand and so that seemed the better option. And I'm glad I didn't go for it. In the last month Isabella has tangled with a fox and a rabbit. From a bumper perspective it would have been money down the drain.

Am I right in thinking resprays are not as good as the original paint? £300 ish doesn't sound bad for a respray for bumper and bonnet but I don't want to do that and then end up regretting it.

I have seen a few bonnet and bumper resprays that ruin a car due to paint in panel gaps, overspray on trim etc. The only way to get a decent job of bumper respray will be to take it off the car for spraying. This way all the 'bits' can be removed (fog lights, trim etc) and you will get a 'factory fresh' finish.
Just my 2p worth : )

Rather than a vinyl wrap, what about using some of the plastic spray paint? (plasti-dip ?)
1 can costs about £14 & would be more than enough for the bonnet.
The upside is, it's cheap enough to do once per year if needed, if you don't like it, it's ever so easy to peel off, a damned sight easier to apply than vinyl, heck, it's marginally dearer than buying decent photoshop software & you get to see what it actually will look like. You don't have to worry about overspray since it is easy to peel off...

I'm considering this on my doblo. Trouble is, officially it is grey but everyone says it looks silver - and I can't find a spray can in silver so I have to decide on a contrasting colour.

Last edited:
The only way to get a decent job of bumper respray will be to take it off the car for spraying.

:yeahthat:.

I have yet to see a car that's gone into any of the mass-market paintshops for bodywork that's not been blindingly obviously refinished. Quality work is all about preparation and care, and given the rates usually offered by the insurance industry, it's not financially viable for them to work to the necessary standard.

Rather than a vinyl wrap, what about using some of the plastic spray paint? (plasti-dip ?)
1 can costs about £14 & would be more than enough for the bonnet.
The upside is, it's cheap enough to do once per year if needed, if you don't like it, it's ever so easy to peel off, a damned sight easier to apply than vinyl, heck, it's marginally dearer than buying decent photoshop software & you get to see what it actually will look like. You don't have to worry about overspray since it is easy to peel off...

I'm considering this on my doblo. Trouble is, officially it is grey but everyone says it looks silver - and I can't find a spray can in silver so I have to decide on a contrasting colour.

I've never heard of the plasti dip stuff, I'll have to look into it, but it sounds like it would be very easy to make it look like a dogs breakfast! Plus I wasn't thinking of applying the vinyl myself, I can't even put a screen protector on my iPhone without getting bubbles and dog hairs under it!

Back