Technical Rear hatch micro switch

Currently reading:
Technical Rear hatch micro switch

Noticed this week that the handle to open the rear hatch has stopped working. It still pops open fine with the button on the key fob, so I assume it is the micro switch that's died. Has anyone changed this themselves and is it a fiddly ball ache job Ill wsh I had paid someone to do when I attempt it or is it fairly straight forward? Ta for any info.

Noticed this week that the handle to open the rear hatch has stopped working. It still pops open fine with the button on the key fob, so I assume it is the micro switch that's died. Has anyone changed this themselves and is it a fiddly ball ache job Ill wsh I had paid someone to do when I attempt it or is it fairly straight forward? Ta for any info.
Can't imagine it'd be too difficult (he says not having done it himself)

No one has ever complained about it being difficult. Tried spraying some lubricant in there? Not WD40 though :)

jrkitching will be along shortly :p
:wave:

I'd use an electrical switch cleaner - they're generally formulated to be safe with almost all plastics.

Maplins and Halfords have suitable products if you're looking to pick something up on the high street. If you're an online shopper, try Farnell or RS Components.

As Maxi says, avoid WD40. It might damage the plastic part of the switch and it will leave a sticky residue which will attract dust & clog up the mechanism.

Last edited:
:wave:

I'd use an electrical switch cleaner - they're generally formulated to be safe with almost all plastics.

Maplins and Halfords have suitable products if you're looking to pick something up on the high street. If you're an online shopper, try Farnell or RS Components.

As Maxi says, avoid WD40. It might damage the plastic part of the switch and it will leave a sticky residue which will attract dust & clog up the mechanism.

That's brill thanks! I'll try that first!

Now press the thanks button you ungrateful sod :p

What! you want thanks, just for saying that "JR Kitching will be along soon" Ha! Ha! Surely the credibility of the whole thanks/likes system would be brought crashing down around our ears. :eek:

Just kidding as I am sure you actually wanted Mick to give due credit to JR and he just panicked and thanked everyone in sight whilst in a state of confusion. ;)

Last edited:
Hehe I was just having a larf with Mick. Someone telling us what happened,and saying thanks is more than we usually get!

Hehe I was just having a larf with Mick. Someone telling us what happened,and saying thanks is more than we usually get!

Yeah! it's good that he keeps popping in to brighten things up.

Glad you didn't "quote" me as he would have noticed my spelling mistake in it even though I have now got rid of the evidence in my original post. He certainly keeps me on my toes.

I was actually very grateful to Dan and JR for their input, but as I'm nearly 50 (next Sunday actually) I had a senior moment and wasn't entirely sure where the thanks button was. So when I found it I thought I better thank everyone in sight, not unlike an overlong Oscar speech.

Still working this morning by the way :) I was so happy I cleaned and polished the little beauty!

I was actually very grateful to Dan and JR for their input, but as I'm nearly 50 (next Sunday actually) I had a senior moment and wasn't entirely sure where the thanks button was. So when I found it I thought I better thank everyone in sight, not unlike an overlong Oscar speech.

Still working this morning by the way :) I was so happy I cleaned and polished the little beauty!

Congrats on reaching that milestone, Chas and I can only just remember ours, and then only on a good day. I'll also bookmark this page so that whenever people complain about maxi being a very nasty man who should be hung drawn and quartered and then poked with a pointy stick, I can point them back to this post, lol. :D

Congrats on reaching that milestone, Chas and I can only just remember ours, and then only on a good day. I'll also bookmark this page so that whenever people complain about maxi being a very nasty man who should be hung drawn and quartered and then poked with a pointy stick, I can point them back to this post, lol. :D

I wonder if he had a visit from three ghosts at some point...

First Post - So be gentle.
Mumpty Q. Where in the lock do you spray?

I opened the hatch so I was looking up under the rear handle and sprayed the stuff in the gap around the black plastic bit that you press to open the hatch. It took a while to work it's way in but the switch worked again after a couple of hours.

Hope that helps!

Thanks - That helps.
The car is a 500c and I have seen the other tread about re-setting the roof but that did not work.

Back