Technical Quaife differential in a ABARTH 500

Currently reading:
Technical Quaife differential in a ABARTH 500

MILANEZOS

Ηave anyone had any previous experience in installation and testing a Quaife differential in a ABARTH 500??‏

Ηave anyone had any previous experience in installation and testing a Quaife differential in a ABARTH 500??‏

On another forum one was fitted to heavily modified A500 (Click here) and on the AF they have been fitted to the 155TB. Fitting one does not involve disabling the stability control (Click here).

Initially thought that a Quaife would 'save' the C510 but IIRC in certain track conditions the Quaife can be harder on the gearbox (could be wrong on this). Price is tempting at around £650 (Click here).

One has been fitted by another contributor on the FF on a 500 1.4

I can't say about fitting to an A500 but I have a similar design in my Seicento (roughly the same peak torque as a stock A500) and it is pretty brutal. Power delivery when it works is delightful (feeling a FWD car accelerate *and* pull you around a corner still makes me smile every time). The downside is I'm always waiting for it to grenade on me but five years on and it is still going strong.

In terms of testing you should find that the diff proportionally "locks" when power is applied and will relax to 50/50 under power but won't increase the split while under load. Putting power on and just turning in doesn't help with understeer on my car but putting power on after turning in does. Judicious lift-off on entry and possibly again mid-corner seems to get it doing exactly what I want and helps with setting the rear of the car up properly.

The only other point of reference I have is from an Integra Type-R I used to own - that would allow a flow of power regardless but the chassis was very, very different and less prone to understeer to start with. It still needed modulation of the throttle to get the LSD working though and the difference between on and off was nothing like as pronounced.

Putting power on and just turning in doesn't help with understeer on my car but putting power on after turning in does. Judicious lift-off on entry and possibly again mid-corner seems to get it doing exactly what I want and helps with setting the rear of the car up properly.

Indeed. I have one fitted to my 1.4. I find the best way is brake late turn in and get on the power early. The diff gets just enough chance to sense the inside wheel getting light and delivers the torque to the outside wheel. Then push the accelerator down and hold on while it pulls you around a corner. Get on the power too early and you learn the delights of having spent the better part of a grand to turn your car into a power oversteer machine.

If you're in London and fancy a go, come to the Ace cafe tomorrow night. I'll be there and we can visit the private test track. Mine is the black 500 with red leather.

If you're in London and fancy a go, come to the Ace cafe tomorrow night. I'll be there and we can visit the private test track. Mine is the black 500 with red leather.

Oh that I could! Haven't been to one of the Ace Cafe meets in years now. Unfortunately the 3 hour+ journey each way pretty much prevents attendance.

Oh that I could! Haven't been to one of the Ace Cafe meets in years now. Unfortunately the 3 hour+ journey each way pretty much prevents attendance.

I drove Jason's car on Sunday with the ASR off.

All I can say regarding the Quaife is this

BoratVeryNice.jpg

Back