Technical please don't let this be a sign of things to come

Currently reading:
Technical please don't let this be a sign of things to come

Kris8

So, driving back from the city on Tuesday suddenly a triangular light comes on in the dash(with a scary Exclamation mark in it) and "change engine oil" reads on the dash. My car barely has 6000 kms on it. My bf checked the oil...it was down a titch so we added some today. Alas, the indicators are still on.

And then today I go out to start up the beast and go to work and the lights come on in the dash...the engine makes a bit of noise like it's thinking about starting but refuses to actually roll over. I tried several times but it wouldn't go...the bf tried a few times later in the day, but only had success after he worked the key in the driver's door lock, wiggled some wires around in the engine bay...and it started right up. Wiring to the battery terminals was all secure, so my bf is wondering if something happened to trigger the car to "immobilize" itself. Do Abarths have something like that as a theft deterrent? I have no idea what would have triggered it, unless somebody was messing with it overnight.

I'm going to call the dealership to see if I should book an oil change, but has anyone had a similar issue with the engine kind of shutting itself down?

So, driving back from the city on Tuesday suddenly a triangular light comes on in the dash(with a scary Exclamation mark in it) and "change engine oil" reads on the dash. My car barely has 6000 kms on it. My bf checked the oil...it was down a titch so we added some today. Alas, the indicators are still on.

And then today I go out to start up the beast and go to work and the lights come on in the dash...the engine makes a bit of noise like it's thinking about starting but refuses to actually roll over. I tried several times but it wouldn't go...the bf tried a few times later in the day, but only had success after he worked the key in the driver's door lock, wiggled some wires around in the engine bay...and it started right up. Wiring to the battery terminals was all secure, so my bf is wondering if something happened to trigger the car to "immobilize" itself. Do Abarths have something like that as a theft deterrent? I have no idea what would have triggered it, unless somebody was messing with it overnight.

I'm going to call the dealership to see if I should book an oil change, but has anyone had a similar issue with the engine kind of shutting itself down?

1. You could disconnect the negative terminal on the battery for 2-3 minutes to reset the car.
2. if your BF added oil to the A500 hopefully he added one that meets the spec in the handbook. IIRC it should be 5w40 ACEA C3 preferable with a Fiat spec of 9.55535-S2 for the Abarth Multi-air.
3. Recommended oil change for the N.A. A500 AFAIK is 8K miles. So it doesn't need one yet but he would be 'no harm' to change the oil particularily if your BF added the wrong oil.:)

Would recommend that you get it to a Fiat garage for a 'complimentary' checkup since its under warranty. Expect that it will at least involve hooking it up to diagnostics.

EDIT: Best check the handbook on the exact specification needed but it looks likes 5w40 is 'right' viscosity...
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2684462

Last edited:
My oil cap has "5W40 synthetic" printed right on it and that's what he added, so I think we're all good there.

I'll definitely be calling the dealership tomorrow to book an oil change and will explain everything else that happened. I don't want to start worrying about this car the way I worried about whether my old beaters would get me from A to B....

Thanks for the suggestions. :)

It's not just 5w40 synthetic, it has to meet the standards that Fiat stipulate in the handbook. If not, you can do damage to the multiair system.

Beaters, Kris?

I learnt gizzard yesterday.

Will I ever be fluent in Fiatspeak?

LOL Not actually Fiat terminology...just referring to the many used and abused older cars I have had the pleasure of driving over the years. I'm sure a few of them have contributed to my high blood pressure. :eek:

Have made an appointment for next Wed....they said the car is programmed to suggest an oil change around 6000 kms, but isn't needed until 13000kms so when I bring it in they'll shut that off. More interested in finding out why the engine wasn't starting.

Yeah, the car started up fine this morning but as soon as I pulled onto the road the dash gave a long beep and said "check left front tire low pressure" and I'm thinking Good Lord, what NOW? Couldn't see that it was low but by afternoon it definitely need air so have refilled and at least that indicator light is off now. Hope I didn't puncture my tire on something. Grrrr.

Sometimes when it rains it pours....

It's not just 5w40 synthetic, it has to meet the standards that Fiat stipulate in the handbook. If not, you can do damage to the multiair system.

No worries, we checked the manual and my car takes the same as his VW....

Back