General Goodbye TA Hello A500

Currently reading:
General Goodbye TA Hello A500

Attachments

• P1000649.JPG
    P1000649.JPG
    701.1 KB · Views: 20
Interesting advice there about new vs. old customers - where's the reward for loyalty these days?! - I have the same frustrations with my ISP and mobile phone contract. I have to keep checking what new customers are getting, and then phone up and talk tough about what they should do if they don't want me to switch. I usually don't want the hassle of switching anyway, but I always make it sound like I'm prepared to.

When I bought my Spider, I had two other cars insured (insurance is optional in NZ) and the same company wouldn't insure my Spider at all, even after I asked in writing and waited a week - they claimed the model was too unusual, couldn't be valued or assessed, and being a one-off high performance sports car (!) was too much of a risk, even third-party-only.

I checked with the previous owner and they suggested AA Insurance - who saw it as just another 2.0L four-cylinder car. I immediately set about getting them to beat the premiums for the other two cars, which they did. It was very satisfying to ring back that first company and cancel the two other policies. Oh yesssss... I mean No.

Insurance jokes aside (I'm guessing these are all advert references :rolleyes:) it hasn't helped, I'm still jealous of the Abarth just like when I first drove my Mum's Uno 45 in 1997 and decided I had to get the Uno Turbo one day. Four years later I did :eek: maybe watch this space in four years.

I suppose if I sold all my cars I might get close to being able to afford an Abarth, but then I'd have to do without an Alfa V6 and a Spider :eek: The soft-top would be provided by the Abarth 500C (and as a bonus for me, it only comes in Selespeed form in NZ), so it's probably the perfect car - except for a lack of room in the back. Hmmmmm, I don't think I can commit to one relationsh...err, car...

-Alex

Last edited:
Since your A500 is getting 'borrowed' quite a bit what is going to happen in 7 weeks time ?
Are you going to have to trade in the 1.2 Dualogic ? :D

I am very glad that my OH doesn't read this forum, otherwise you could very well sow a seed here. However she would want the Auto version which is £1500+ more and would have to be a new order. So as far as I am concerned ignorance is bliss:devil:

On a good note I am being taken out this evening for the first time since the ankle trouble guess WHAT, my OH is driving me and in WHAT: we'll be going in the ******. Supply a correct answer and I will give you the formula for converting litres to gallons:D

Received the V5 Reg Document this morning, 15 days after purchasing car. Nice to see that Under the description Make: it states Abarth and not Fiat. Not that I have a problem with the word Fiat, but I have seen some references to people being admonished for using the term Fiat Abarth. Incorrect use of the 'F' word:yuck:

Some people don't like the term polish built city car also.

Just over 4 weeks to go before, I hope, I can get behind the wheel. Just had red Abarth stripes put on today, Corsa kit on back order re kick plates and foot rest plate. Red calliper paint ready for when I'm fit to do this, PIAA's ready for DRL's and upgrade to main and dipped beam bulbs also waiting. Got rid of compressor and sealant kit for tyre repair and replaced with space saver.

If anyone wants a compressor and sealant kit, I have got one spare.(y)

Just over 4 weeks to go before, I hope, I can get behind the wheel. Just had red Abarth stripes put on today, Corsa kit on back order re kick plates and foot rest plate. Red calliper paint ready for when I'm fit to do this, PIAA's ready for DRL's and upgrade to main and dipped beam bulbs also waiting. Got rid of compressor and sealant kit for tyre repair and replaced with space saver.

If anyone wants a compressor and sealant kit, I have got one spare.(y)

Weeks are counting down now so it wouldn't be long before you take over the driver's seat.;)
In relation to the spare wheel have you worked out how you plan to jack the Abarth up if you're out on the road ?

Weeks are counting down now so it wouldn't be long before you take over the driver's seat.;)
In relation to the spare wheel have you worked out how you plan to jack the Abarth up if you're out on the road ?

I have been provided with a jack and wheel brace. I have noticed on the sills there are marker points indicating where to use the scissor jack as per the 500 TA Lounge and I did carry out wheel removal successfully without issue. So I am assuming a similar operation with the A500.

I do have a trolley jack at home and did take note of an earlier post by jrkitching showing preferred jacking points for this type of jack plus his fashioning of a wooden protective block. dated 6/10/2011 Re: 500 jacking/ lifting/ axle stand positioning

Not sure how to show the orig. post on this thread so you can just click on.

I have been provided with a jack and wheel brace. I have noticed on the sills there are marker points indicating where to use the scissor jack as per the 500 TA Lounge and I did carry out wheel removal successfully without issue. So I am assuming a similar operation with the A500.

I do have a trolley jack at home and did take note of an earlier post by jrkitching showing preferred jacking points for this type of jack plus his fashioning of a wooden protective block. dated 6/10/2011 Re: 500 jacking/ lifting/ axle stand positioning

Not sure how to show the orig. post on this thread so you can just click on.

Get the impression that to get a jack under a A500 that you have to mount a piece of wood or something. With the Abarh kit you're not able to get the standard jack under it. This was one of the key reasons for not supplying a spare wheel setup with the Abarth. Hopefully someone else who has a A500 will 'fill us in'.

Get the impression that to get a jack under a A500 that you have to mount a piece of wood or something. With the Abarh kit you're not able to get the standard jack under it. This was one of the key reasons for not supplying a spare wheel setup with the Abarth. Hopefully someone else who has a A500 will 'fill us in'.

Filthy weather here at the moment so not able to have a good look underneath. Also a bit awkward with the rigid support boot.

I believe some of the earlier models did come with a space saver, but more recently the tyre fix kit (compressor and gunge) is the standard option. The trolley jack is a bit too weighty to carry around in the boot.

Maybe get my OH to don the overalls and get her to have a look see. She should have plenty of time betwen going to work and fetching and carrying for me!!!:devil:

Filthy weather here at the moment so not able to have a good look underneath. Also a bit awkward with the rigid support boot.

I believe some of the earlier models did come with a space saver, but more recently the tyre fix kit (compressor and gunge) is the standard option. The trolley jack is a bit too weighty to carry around in the boot.

Maybe get my OH to don the overalls and get her to have a look see. She should have plenty of time betwen going to work and fetching and carrying for me!!!:devil:

You're a braver man than I am !
My OH calls the AA when she gets a flat.:eek:

There are a few threads on here debating the spare wheel and if it should be a space saver or not. I have a space saver in the MiTo and it is a comfort on longer journeys. Still reckon that it's a problem getting a standard jack under the A500 but have seen some slick kit that lifts the car using an airbag type device and a compressor

Did a bit of searching on the 'other forum' and here's a quick summary...

seems that the standard 500 jack does not suit the A500 but a ‘low entry’ one will fit e.g. Hillman Imp jack !
http://www.abarthforum.co.uk/500-abarth-tuning/spare-wheel/

I was shocked last week when I tried to use the standard 500 jack from my sisters car, and it hits the sill before it even begins jacking up! Also found out the marks on the sill that my car came with, correspond to where my sisters jack was about to line up with the outside of the sill *doh*
http://www.abarthforum.co.uk/general-abarth/jacking-points/msg61903/#msg61903

current jack does not fit…
http://www.abarthforum.co.uk/500-abarth/jacking-up

If you are looking to use a proper Fiat wheel a 14 inch suits the 16 inch alloy whilst a 15 inch suits the 17 inch best. 16 inch is the best aside from the weight.
http://www.abarthforum.co.uk/500-abarth-tuning/spare-wheel/msg97177/#msg97177

Back