Register Login
endrop - for all your online needs
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2012   #1
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North London
Posts: 1,582
Thanks: 57
Trader Rating: 0
a73uk has donated!
United Kingdom 
2012 Abarth eating rear brake pads

My brothers 6 month old Abarth has eaten its rear brake pads @ 18,000 miles for no apparent reason, the fronts are still fine.

I`ve never come across this in any car, usually you replace fronts 2-3 times before needing to do the rears, not the other way round.

Marylebone Fiat are saying there is no problem with the brakes so it isnt covered under warranty.

His previous 500 Sport didnt need rear shoes for 90,000+ miles, so he isnt in the habit of leaving the handbrake on or anything..

Anyone else had this?
__________________
Currently got.. 1981 Fiat 127 Super, 89 Panda 750L, 89 Uno 70SX (1.5), 90 Uno 60S, 93 Uno 45, 99 Sei Sporting, 2000 Sei Sporting, 96 Jaguar X300 Manual, 99 Jaguar XJR V8, 01 Porsche Boxster, 1989 Escort Mk4 Ghia, 2012 electric motorbike.. The 1990 Uno is the most fun!


Last edited by a73uk; 11-09-2012 at 15:15.
a73uk is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 11-09-2012   #2
STOP! Hammer time!
 
306maxi's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Welsh Riviera
Posts: 23,702
Thanks: 845
Trader Rating: 0
306maxi has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: 2012 Abarth eating rear brake pads

Quote Originally Posted by a73uk View Post
My brothers 6 month old Abarth has eaten its rear brake pads @ 18,000 miles for no apparent reason, the fronts are still fine.

I`ve never come across this in any car, usually you replace fronts 2-3 times before needing to do the rears, not the other way round.

Marylebone Fiat are saying there is no problem with the brakes so it isnt covered under warranty.

His previous 500 Sport didnt need rear shoes for 90,000+ miles, so he isnt in the habit of leaving the handbrake on or anything..

Anyone else had this?
The 1.4/Abarth calipers tend to pick up a lot of crud which then means the pads aren't able to slide freely. This then means they stick and wear prematurely.

Disassemble and reassemble with plenty of copper grease and then do that once a year or so and you should be OK
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

306maxi is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 11-09-2012   #3
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North London
Posts: 1,582
Thanks: 57
Trader Rating: 0
a73uk has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: 2012 Abarth eating rear brake pads

Quote Originally Posted by 306maxi View Post
The 1.4/Abarth calipers tend to pick up a lot of crud which then means the pads aren't able to slide freely. This then means they stick and wear prematurely.

Disassemble and reassemble with plenty of copper grease and then do that once a year or so and you should be OK
Theres no way that should be happening on a 6 month old car (he actually started noticing it at approx 3 months old), and the laws physics dictate it shouldnt be happening at all, the rears should be subject to significantly less crud than the fronts & do less than 1/3rd of the total braking...

I can only assume theres either a fault with the callipers or the limiting valve, or, the pads are too soft/faulty.
__________________
Currently got.. 1981 Fiat 127 Super, 89 Panda 750L, 89 Uno 70SX (1.5), 90 Uno 60S, 93 Uno 45, 99 Sei Sporting, 2000 Sei Sporting, 96 Jaguar X300 Manual, 99 Jaguar XJR V8, 01 Porsche Boxster, 1989 Escort Mk4 Ghia, 2012 electric motorbike.. The 1990 Uno is the most fun!

a73uk is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 11-09-2012   #4
STOP! Hammer time!
 
306maxi's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Welsh Riviera
Posts: 23,702
Thanks: 845
Trader Rating: 0
306maxi has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: 2012 Abarth eating rear brake pads

Quote Originally Posted by a73uk View Post
Theres no way that should be happening on a 6 month old car (he actually started noticing it at approx 3 months old), and the laws physics dictate it shouldnt be happening at all, the rears should be subject to significantly less crud than the fronts & do less than 1/3rd of the total braking...

I can only assume theres either a fault with the callipers or the limiting valve, or, the pads are too soft/faulty.
Theory is nice and all, but in practice how I've described is how it works. Well documented issue with Abarth's and 1.4's also.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

306maxi is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 11-09-2012   #5
STOP! Hammer time!
 
306maxi's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Welsh Riviera
Posts: 23,702
Thanks: 845
Trader Rating: 0
306maxi has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: 2012 Abarth eating rear brake pads

__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

306maxi is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 11-09-2012   #6
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North London
Posts: 1,582
Thanks: 57
Trader Rating: 0
a73uk has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: 2012 Abarth eating rear brake pads

Quote Originally Posted by 306maxi View Post
Wow, ridiculous.. Cheers for the link..

And I bet when the dealer replce the pads, they dont bother sorting the problem...

This car hasnt even seen a winter yet.. Neither has it sat around (as I said, 18k in 6 months)... Unreal..
__________________
Currently got.. 1981 Fiat 127 Super, 89 Panda 750L, 89 Uno 70SX (1.5), 90 Uno 60S, 93 Uno 45, 99 Sei Sporting, 2000 Sei Sporting, 96 Jaguar X300 Manual, 99 Jaguar XJR V8, 01 Porsche Boxster, 1989 Escort Mk4 Ghia, 2012 electric motorbike.. The 1990 Uno is the most fun!

a73uk is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 11-09-2012   #7
STOP! Hammer time!
 
306maxi's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Welsh Riviera
Posts: 23,702
Thanks: 845
Trader Rating: 0
306maxi has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: 2012 Abarth eating rear brake pads

Quote Originally Posted by a73uk View Post
Wow, ridiculous.. Cheers for the link..

And I bet when the dealer replce the pads, they dont bother sorting the problem...

This car hasnt even seen a winter yet.. Neither has it sat around (as I said, 18k in 6 months)... Unreal..
Not to be rude, but you've had a few Fiat's and even a Jag, you should be used to cars having bits which weren't very well designed

Discs and pads can be had for less than 50 quid, take it all apart, grease it up with copper grease and then do the same every year or so and be sure not to pressure wash the caliper
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

306maxi is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 11-09-2012   #8
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North London
Posts: 1,582
Thanks: 57
Trader Rating: 0
a73uk has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: 2012 Abarth eating rear brake pads

I`ve had Jags for 15 years & none have ever broke down, the 13yo XJR I`ve got (which I`ve had for nearly 4 years) & not a things gone wrong with it, & despite me driving it hard most of the time, its not needed anything done to the brakes at all, despite me using its 400bhp, (60 in 5 secs & 155mph) regularly.

None of my current Fiats (the youngest being 19yo) have any brake issues either, in fact the only one that did was the Tempra`s rear calipers that started seizing after about 10 years...

I just spoke to him, his 18k service cost a fairly staggering 435, they also offered to fit the EBC brake pads I got him for 90+VAT, he politely declined..

They also informed him the front calliper bolts are rusting & need changing, & no, they arent covered by the warranty either...

Looks like Fiat are quite happy sitting near the bottom of the JD Power survey, doesnt it..
__________________
Currently got.. 1981 Fiat 127 Super, 89 Panda 750L, 89 Uno 70SX (1.5), 90 Uno 60S, 93 Uno 45, 99 Sei Sporting, 2000 Sei Sporting, 96 Jaguar X300 Manual, 99 Jaguar XJR V8, 01 Porsche Boxster, 1989 Escort Mk4 Ghia, 2012 electric motorbike.. The 1990 Uno is the most fun!

a73uk is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 11-09-2012   #9
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North London
Posts: 1,582
Thanks: 57
Trader Rating: 0
a73uk has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: 2012 Abarth eating rear brake pads

Tell a lie, the (Japanese) alternator went earlier this year on my XJR @ 116,000 miles, didnt break down though...
__________________
Currently got.. 1981 Fiat 127 Super, 89 Panda 750L, 89 Uno 70SX (1.5), 90 Uno 60S, 93 Uno 45, 99 Sei Sporting, 2000 Sei Sporting, 96 Jaguar X300 Manual, 99 Jaguar XJR V8, 01 Porsche Boxster, 1989 Escort Mk4 Ghia, 2012 electric motorbike.. The 1990 Uno is the most fun!

a73uk is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 11-09-2012   #10
STOP! Hammer time!
 
306maxi's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Welsh Riviera
Posts: 23,702
Thanks: 845
Trader Rating: 0
306maxi has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: 2012 Abarth eating rear brake pads

Quote Originally Posted by a73uk View Post
I`ve had Jags for 15 years & none have ever broke down, the 13yo XJR I`ve got (which I`ve had for nearly 4 years) & not a things gone wrong with it, & despite me driving it hard most of the time, its not needed anything done to the brakes at all, despite me using its 400bhp, (60 in 5 secs & 155mph) regularly.

None of my current Fiats (the youngest being 19yo) have any brake issues either, in fact the only one that did was the Tempra`s rear calipers that started seizing after about 10 years...

I just spoke to him, his 18k service cost a fairly staggering 435, they also offered to fit the EBC brake pads I got him for 90+VAT, he politely declined..

They also informed him the front calliper bolts are rusting & need changing, & no, they arent covered by the warranty either...

Looks like Fiat are quite happy sitting near the bottom of the JD Power survey, doesnt it..
Typical Abarth stuff sadly

I was joking when I was insulting your Fiat's and Jag btw There are a few things with the 500 which just aren't all that well designed, but if you're willing to get your tool kit out and do the little things or buy better replacements then there's no reason a 500 (Abarth or not) shouldn't be very reliable
Likes a73uk liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

306maxi is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 11-09-2012   #11
STOP! Hammer time!
 
306maxi's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Welsh Riviera
Posts: 23,702
Thanks: 845
Trader Rating: 0
306maxi has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: 2012 Abarth eating rear brake pads

Quote Originally Posted by a73uk View Post
Tell a lie, the (Japanese) alternator went earlier this year on my XJR @ 116,000 miles, didnt break down though...
My dad had the water pump go on his Peugeot 504 after 30 years and 200k miles. French piece of crap!
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

306maxi is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 11-09-2012   #12
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North London
Posts: 1,582
Thanks: 57
Trader Rating: 0
a73uk has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: 2012 Abarth eating rear brake pads

Quote Originally Posted by 306maxi View Post
My dad had the water pump go on his Peugeot 504 after 30 years and 200k miles. French piece of crap!
Thats shocking, I hope he took it back..

The 306 in your name... it doesnt signify you`ve got a pug, does it...

I`ve had a fair number of French cars, & regretted all of them!
__________________
Currently got.. 1981 Fiat 127 Super, 89 Panda 750L, 89 Uno 70SX (1.5), 90 Uno 60S, 93 Uno 45, 99 Sei Sporting, 2000 Sei Sporting, 96 Jaguar X300 Manual, 99 Jaguar XJR V8, 01 Porsche Boxster, 1989 Escort Mk4 Ghia, 2012 electric motorbike.. The 1990 Uno is the most fun!

a73uk is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 11-09-2012   #13
STOP! Hammer time!
 
306maxi's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Welsh Riviera
Posts: 23,702
Thanks: 845
Trader Rating: 0
306maxi has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: 2012 Abarth eating rear brake pads

Quote Originally Posted by a73uk View Post
Thats shocking, I hope he took it back..

The 306 in your name... it doesnt signify you`ve got a pug, does it...

I`ve had a fair number of French cars, & regretted all of them!
This is a 306 Maxi



I've never owned a 306, I did have a 406 but that was a PoS, mainly because it had been treated like crap by previous owners
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

306maxi is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 11-09-2012   #14
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North London
Posts: 1,582
Thanks: 57
Trader Rating: 0
a73uk has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: 2012 Abarth eating rear brake pads

Quote Originally Posted by 306maxi View Post
This is a 306 Maxi



I've never owned a 306, I did have a 406 but that was a PoS, mainly because it had been treated like crap by previous owners
I was gonna say, if your used to 306`s, the Abarth shortcomings must be a breath of fresh air!

I`ve had a phase 3 306 1.6, a 505 GTi, a 104 (plus both its siblings from Citroen & Talbot) as well as various other Renaults & Citroens, all have been POS! Everytime I sell one I swear I`lll never have another (he said while selling a 94 R5 Campus!)

Do you know if the rear callipers need a winding tool? Looks like I`ll be doing it in the next few days...
__________________
Currently got.. 1981 Fiat 127 Super, 89 Panda 750L, 89 Uno 70SX (1.5), 90 Uno 60S, 93 Uno 45, 99 Sei Sporting, 2000 Sei Sporting, 96 Jaguar X300 Manual, 99 Jaguar XJR V8, 01 Porsche Boxster, 1989 Escort Mk4 Ghia, 2012 electric motorbike.. The 1990 Uno is the most fun!

a73uk is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 11-09-2012   #15
STOP! Hammer time!
 
306maxi's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Welsh Riviera
Posts: 23,702
Thanks: 845
Trader Rating: 0
306maxi has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: 2012 Abarth eating rear brake pads

Quote Originally Posted by a73uk View Post
I was gonna say, if your used to 306`s, the Abarth shortcomings must be a breath of fresh air!

I`ve had a phase 3 306 1.6, a 505 GTi, a 104 (plus both its siblings from Citroen & Talbot) as well as various other Renaults & Citroens, all have been POS! Everytime I sell one I swear I`lll never have another (he said while selling a 94 R5 Campus!)

Do you know if the rear callipers need a winding tool? Looks like I`ll be doing it in the next few days...
Not sure about the winding tool, Jnoiles would be the person to ask, he's changed his rear pads a few times

I had a 77 Peugeot 504 which was a fantastic car.



I would have one again no question about it. Fantastic car At some stage I do want to own a 205/306/106 GTi or Rallye however.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

306maxi is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(G) Rear brake pads emmyw 500 17 06-09-2011 13:34
(G) rear brake pads sonnystilo Stilo 1 22-08-2010 11:20
(T) Rear brake pads M@nticore Uno 5 10-06-2006 02:45
(T) Abarth brake pads/discs pjp Stilo 7 24-04-2004 03:33