Technical New abarth owner few questions

Currently reading:
Technical New abarth owner few questions

DazzaRS

hello new to the 500 arbart scene :D
we managed to buy one but the only thing it doesnt have is xenon headlights.
we just need a few questions answered on this matter if possible please.
1) should we only buy UK oem Xenon headlights
2) do they just plug in for them to function
3) i know they wont self level but can i adjust them like how you would with the halogen versions (beside spedometer)

also we would like to change some of the bulbs to led versions but my friend said it can be tricky as i need canbus or something, can someone point me in some sort of direction on where to buy some

Many thanks
Daryl

Hi Daryl and welcome to the forum. :wave:

I think that trying to fit an HID kit would not be worth the trouble. Even though you can buy kits including the washer bottle and fittings you are already aware of the lack of self levelling and as bgunn has said that will be an automatic failure with the revised MOT regulations. These came in earlier this year as an advice but will be enforced I believe from November 2012.

If your car is new you might think that you have three years grace or even consider changing back to std for the MOT but IMHO I don't think the time and expense would make it worthwhile.

If you spend a lot of time driving at night then it would be a good idea to fit uprated (legal) bulbs, on my last two 500s I found that Osram Nightbreakers were excellent and other members say that the Philips equivalent are also very good.

Regarding the fitting of LEDs your friend is correct as you will almost certainly get the yellow warning triangle and fault message showing in your speedo display. You could try fitting resistors inline but I haven't heard of anyone doing this successfully as yet but who knows, you may be the first.

Last edited:
Hi Daryl and welcome to the forum. :wave:

I think that trying to fit an HID kit would not be worth the trouble. Even though you can buy kits including the washer bottle and fittings you are already aware of the lack of self levelling and as bgunn has said that will be an automatic failure with the revised MOT regulations. These came in earlier this year as an advice but will be enforced I believe from November 2012.

If your car is new you might think that you have three years grace or even consider changing back to std for the MOT but IMHO I don't think the time and expense would make it worthwhile.

If you spend a lot of time driving at night then it would be a good idea to fit uprated (legal) bulbs, on my last two 500s I found that Osram Nightbreakers were excellent and other members say that the Philips equivalent are also very good.

Regarding the fitting of LEDs your friend is correct as you will almost certainly get the yellow warning triangle and fault message showing in your speedo display. You could try fitting resistors inline but I haven't heard of anyone doing this successfully as yet but who knows, you may be the first.

hello and thank for the reply tony (y)
i am well aware of the MOT implications but i still want to do it but can they just plug in?

also theres alot of misconception about hid and xenon, HID is High Intensity Discharge but then you can get a kit that includes ballasts etc etc easily purchased from ebay in various kelvins.

whilst iam looking for the fiat versions its basically the same principle but a halogen headlamp cannot handle the beam pattern and causes distortion hence me asking this question.

my other car has factory fitted xenon and going to halogen is a step backwards, if its a simple plug in surely i could swap over headlights at mot time

Back